Re: What is so horribly wrong with Yahoo! Mail these days?

  • jmchaur
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 1 10:00 AM
      I see people in this group complain that ymail doesn't work like
      Outlook or Gmail. So now that drafts have been changed to work JUST
      LIKE Outlook or Gmail - sent is sent, not saved - everyone complains?

      Drafts are drafts, not templates. I save a text document for templates.

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce" <bruce_mccaskey@...> wrote:

      > I use the Draft feature intensively, alll day, every day.
      >

      > Suddenly the functionality of my Draft folder is gone. I send similar
      > amails to various people over and over. I want to go back to my saved
      > drafts, and copy and paste content into a standard email, and nowI
      > can't do that because my drafts are disappearing from the Draft folder
      > when I send them. Now I have to go into Sent, and try to rebuild the
      > email by creating a "forward" message, and copy and paste the addres
      > from the header in the body of the email back up to the To; box.
      >

      > Except that won't even work today (it did yesterday) because now when I
      > create the "forwarded" message, the text entry windo for the message
      > body wo't allow me to copy and paste the new info into the body of the
      > text. If I hihlight text , and then hit delete or backspace or enter,
      > the text just sits there, it won't delete.
      >
      > And if I right click highlighted text in my new forwarded meassage,
      > there is no option to "paste" (even though I have text in my clipboard).
      >
      > Ack!
      >
      > What gives!?
      >
      > Yahoo has ruined my system!
      >
      > Can I get the "Draft" ca[pability back by using the new email ? Is that
      > permanent?
      >
      > Bruce
      >

      > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Christian <cdpostbox-ygroups@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I simply do not get it: What is so horribly wrong with Yahoo! Mail
      > these days? I mean, if you do not like the new interface, there's
      > Classic. What else is so wrong?

    • Robin Siegel
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 1 12:25 PM
        When I complained about the very same thing months ago, Ryan told me that so few users would be inconvenienced by this change that I would just have to learn to live with it.

        It's worse even than I expected, because copying and pasting often results in unformatted text that runs into the right-hand boxes or won't wrap.

        Supposedly you can press the shift key while you press send and your draft will be saved. Unfortunately you only have a minute or so (feels like a minute, maybe it's three) to finish and send your email before the auto-save updates your draft, deleting the original.

        I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do. It's very sad.

        Robin

        I use the Draft feature intensively, alll day, every day.

        Suddenly the functionality of my Draft folder is gone. I send similar
        amails to various people over and over. I want to go back to my saved
        drafts, and copy and paste content into a standard email, and nowI
        can't do that because my drafts are disappearing from the Draft folder
        when I send them. Now I have to go into Sent, and try to rebuild the
        email by creating a "forward" message, and copy and paste the addres
        from the header in the body of the email back up to the To; box.

        Except that won't even work today (it did yesterday) because now when I
        create the "forwarded" message, the text entry windo for the message
        body wo't allow me to copy and paste the new info into the body of the
        text. If I hihlight text , and then hit delete or backspace or enter,
        the text just sits there, it won't delete.

        And if I right click highlighted text in my new forwarded meassage,
        there is no option to "paste" (even though I have text in my clipboard).

        Ack!

        What gives!?

        Yahoo has ruined my system!

        Can I get the "Draft" ca[pability back by using the new email ? Is that
        permanent?

        Bruce

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, Christian <cdpostbox-ygroups@ ...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I simply do not get it: What is so horribly wrong with Yahoo! Mail
        these days? I mean, if you do not like the new interface, there's
        Classic. What else is so wrong?

      • Simmie
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 1 1:18 PM
          Another thing that can be done is set up a folder in Yahoo!Mail to use as templates -- when you need to use them, go in, Copy them and Paste into a new document.

          Maybe not as efficient as it used to be, but it does work.

          Simmie

        • Ryan
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 1 1:57 PM
            Greetings draft power users,

            In my defense, I don't think I said it quite like Robin described, but the end result is still
            the same. I in no way wanted to suggest that you guys are of a small number...so TOUGH.
            Unfortunately, if we are to provide auto-saving of drafts (something the vast majority of
            users really want) it requires that the drafts folder be handled differently.

            Robin references the override that will prevent your message from moving to SENT after
            you send, but you will also have to consider that it will always update to the latest auto-
            saved version. For my money saving the content elsewhere is the best bet.

            You should be able to compose your messages and send them to yourself, then just create
            a "Templates" folder and move the messages there. You can copy/paste the content from
            those messages into a new message, and update there. You don't want to use the
            FORWARD option, because it will automatically initiate forward formatting (indents and
            stuff).

            At least that works with all of my testing, but I'd also love to hear how others are choosing
            to work around the Auto-Save changes.

            Ryan
            Community Manager
            Y! Mail
          • Christian
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 1 2:41 PM
              Hi,

              I'll take having auto save to draft any day over all other draft related features. I do not know how many times I've been sitting there looking at my wonderfully written masterpiece of an e-mail and then something happens like a browser crash, kid pulling the plug, ghost in the machine etc, and my masterpiece is gone. That hasn't happened after auto save. So do NOT take that away EVER! :) And no, I will not remember to hit "save to draft". I just won't. I know it, because I didn't when I had to.

              I'll strangle Ryan or tell MS to purchase Yahoo (or both!) if that feature is taken away again! :)

              --
              Christian

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 1 3:49 PM
                    Please forgive me, Ryan and group, if I cast Ryan's comments in an unfavorable light. Ryan has been exceedingly helpful to me since he came on board, as well as being very polite.

                    His last communication to me regarding this problem in mid-March did indicate that the "vast majority" of YM users prefer the new draft system, and although the YM team considered it important to try to meet the needs of the rest of us, I should try to make the copy-and-paste options work for me. I don't mind reminding him once in a while that we're still a grumbling minority, trying to keep our sanity in an increasingly email-dependent world.

                    Note to the group member who objected to this thread: On the whole, I love Yahoo mail (and have never compared it to gmail or Outlook!) and most of the new upgrades to both NM and Classic are great. It's been wonderful having this forum to express our opinions as the protocol moved through the various versions. It's a forum that Yahoo supports, and members should not be shot down for expressing their opinions about the product they've been asked to critique.

                    Robin

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 1 3:49 PM
                      Christian,

                      Your saved drafts, and my neck, have nothing to worry about. We did a lot of work to get it
                      into New Mail, and just did even more work to add it to Classic too, so we are pretty
                      committed to it staying.

                      That being said, we still want to find a way to help these Draft Template users ... it just needs
                      to be a solution that doesn't conflict with the auto-save. :)

                      -Ryan
                    • belfioregroups
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 8 3:35 PM
                        And that's without mentioning Calendar & Notepad ... it's becoming
                        ridiculous... starting to believe that only Microsoft will be able to
                        finish the work for you ...