Re: [Y-Mail] Using POP to download messages...

  • postkenny-ygroups@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 27, 2008
      Why have mails sorted by filters into folders in any place other than your email's final destination, i.e., Thunderbird?  If you intend to read the emails in Thunderbird, don't filter them at all in Yahoo!

      POP downloading only emails in the inbox is something I noticed years ago when I used Netscape's mail.  I don't know but perhaps it's by design that POP only looks in one location for email downloads.

      Kenneth

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 27, 2008
        Brian,

        >How come when I set up Thunderbird as my email client it will
        >only download messages in my inbox?

        Because POP doesn't have a mechanism for dealing with any other folders.

        >I would like to be able to download all my mail to Thunderbird
        >and still have it sorted by yahoo filters and then sorted by
        >Thunderbird filters as well.

        Thunderbird supports IMAP protocol, I think that protocol does handle multiple mailboxes on the host side. But I don't think Yahoo Mail supports IMAP...

        -- Shal
      • Sasafrass

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 28, 2008
            Hi,

            It's the same issue with Blackberry and Yahoo! Mail: Only the inbox gets pushed to the phone. However, to me that's a good thing since I do not want most of my mailing lists etc on my phone.

            --
            Christian

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 28, 2008
              I like it to be filtered both places because I often have to use my yahoo mail through the web interface and it's just easier to find things when it's filtered.  Wow, I really wish Yahoo would get IMAP capabilities.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 28, 2008
                Well, if you use the web interface most of the time, then you should stick to that. If you want to use Thunderbird, then you CAN'T use Yahoo's filters unless you're willing to look in 2 places to read your mail. And I'm guessing that's not the case.... Many people here have asked for IMAP, but I don't think it'll happen in the forseeable future.

                Brian VanArsdale wrote:
                I like it to be filtered both places because I often have to use my yahoo mail through the web interface and it's just easier to find things when it's filtered.  Wow, I really wish Yahoo would get IMAP capabilities.
              • too_much green_tea
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 29, 2008
                  Until then, I guess it's possible to have thunderbird automatically forward the filtered emails back to the same account, then use ymail's filters to catch the "from:" address plus the other identifiers.