A farewell letter.

  • Mario Sergio
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 18, 2008
      Been using e-mail for years, but I think that the time to face the new stuff just arrived.

      Sorry folks, but as soon as the Apple Store ships the MobileMe I am gone. There at least I'll have complete features on my hands, e-mail will work and there will be no confirmation message every time I'm sending an e-mail to someone who is already on my contact list. Can't tell about the unfinished RSS and the Mail Options (and every thing on it).

      Wish you guys the best and please keep on rocking!

      Thank you!

      Um abraço,
      Mario Sergio.
    • Seph
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 18, 2008
        Yahoo should get what they deserve at this point, with their beyond
        horrible new service, .... clients leaving in droves..

        Yahoo mail is now utter crap.

        ~S~

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Mario Sergio

        > Been using e-mail for years, but I think that the time to face the
        new stuff just arrived.

        > Sorry folks, but as soon as the Apple Store ships the MobileMe I am
        gone. There at least I'll have complete features on my hands, e-mail
        will work and there will be no confirmation message every time I'm
        sending an e-mail to someone who is already on my contact list. Can't
        tell about the unfinished RSS and the Mail Options (and every thing on
        it).

        > Wish you guys the best and please keep on rocking!
        >
        > Thank you!
        >
        > Um abraço,
        > Mario Sergio.

      • Christian
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 19, 2008
          Hi,

          You can have all that today with Yahoo! Mail and a Blackberry from, for instance, T-Mobile. The Blackberry gets e-mail pushed to the device and you can sync calendar and notes with Yahoo! as well. But of course Apple is marketing it in a beautiful way while Yahoo! and RIM seem to be trying to keep it a secret.. :)

          If you're already an iPhone user the Apple stuff will make more sense. Personally I do not understand how anyone can do e-mail efficiently without a keyboard. I tried using an iPhone for a month, but went back to Yahoo and Blackberry and got things done again.

          --
          Christian

          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 19, 2008
            Sure it does, because there all that stuff works just fine!

            Here RSS is not -cant even delete RSS or add a new one- , also the Mail Options and stuff...

            Like I said, I loved the Yahoo! for more than 10 years, but this time someone is releasing a great brand new stuff that everything there works just fine just like they promised.

            What happened to Yahoo!?
            They promised something that even today they did not delivered and that's the question.

            You can stay with your old-old-stuff called Blackberry, but to me life still goes on and I am loving it, I mean the brand new stuff EVERYDAY! Well, that's what technology is supposed to be, isn't it?

            Um abraço,
            Mario Sergio.

            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 19, 2008
              Ummm....Blackberry is old-old stuff? That's almost a funny statement and doesn't need a comment. Yes, I wll be staying with my old-old stuff and my old-old Yahoo! Mail simply since there no other web based e-mail service which can do what Yahoo Mail does unless I want to marry Steve Jobs and go totally Apple. And even then I am not able to do wireless e-mail on a device with a keyboard.

              And that's what's so great about technology: We can choose to use what works for us.

              --
              Christian

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 20, 2008
                Oh yeah, we can choose and that's beautiful.
                But who needs a plastic keyboard on a mobile device?

                Um abraço,
                Mario Sergio.

                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 22, 2008
                  Hi,

                  I simply do not get it: What is so horribly wrong with Yahoo! Mail these days? I mean, if you do not like the new interface, there's Classic. What else is so wrong?

                  The only thing I've always had a problem with is customer support. When you get support it's good, but getting there is very hard even for paid services. But that's a general Yahoo! problem. Try to get support for Yahoo! Toolbar for instance.. :)

                  --
                  Christian

                  Yahoo should get what they deserve at this point, with their beyond
                  horrible new service, .... clients leaving in droves..

                  Yahoo mail is now utter crap.

                  ~S~

                  --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, Mario Sergio

                  > Been using e-mail for years, but I think that the time to face the
                  new stuff just arrived.

                  > Sorry folks, but as soon as the Apple Store ships the MobileMe I am
                  gone. There at least I'll have complete features on my hands, e-mail
                  will work and there will be no confirmation message every time I'm
                  sending an e-mail to someone who is already on my contact list. Can't
                  tell about the unfinished RSS and the Mail Options (and every thing on
                  it).

                  > Wish you guys the best and please keep on rocking!
                  >
                  > Thank you!
                  >
                  > Um abraço,
                  > Mario Sergio.

                • Bruce
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 1 6:52 AM
                    I use the Draft feature intensively, alll day, every day.

                    Suddenly the functionality of my Draft folder is gone. I send similar
                    amails to various people over and over. I want to go back to my saved
                    drafts, and copy and paste content into a standard email, and nowI
                    can't do that because my drafts are disappearing from the Draft folder
                    when I send them. Now I have to go into Sent, and try to rebuild the
                    email by creating a "forward" message, and copy and paste the addres
                    from the header in the body of the email back up to the To; box.

                    Except that won't even work today (it did yesterday) because now when I
                    create the "forwarded" message, the text entry windo for the message
                    body wo't allow me to copy and paste the new info into the body of the
                    text. If I hihlight text , and then hit delete or backspace or enter,
                    the text just sits there, it won't delete.

                    And if I right click highlighted text in my new forwarded meassage,
                    there is no option to "paste" (even though I have text in my clipboard).

                    Ack!

                    What gives!?

                    Yahoo has ruined my system!

                    Can I get the "Draft" ca[pability back by using the new email ? Is that
                    permanent?

                    Bruce

                    --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Christian <cdpostbox-ygroups@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > I simply do not get it: What is so horribly wrong with Yahoo! Mail
                    these days? I mean, if you do not like the new interface, there's
                    Classic. What else is so wrong?

                  • jmchaur
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 1 10:00 AM
                      I see people in this group complain that ymail doesn't work like
                      Outlook or Gmail. So now that drafts have been changed to work JUST
                      LIKE Outlook or Gmail - sent is sent, not saved - everyone complains?

                      Drafts are drafts, not templates. I save a text document for templates.

                      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce" <bruce_mccaskey@...> wrote:

                      > I use the Draft feature intensively, alll day, every day.
                      >

                      > Suddenly the functionality of my Draft folder is gone. I send similar
                      > amails to various people over and over. I want to go back to my saved
                      > drafts, and copy and paste content into a standard email, and nowI
                      > can't do that because my drafts are disappearing from the Draft folder
                      > when I send them. Now I have to go into Sent, and try to rebuild the
                      > email by creating a "forward" message, and copy and paste the addres
                      > from the header in the body of the email back up to the To; box.
                      >

                      > Except that won't even work today (it did yesterday) because now when I
                      > create the "forwarded" message, the text entry windo for the message
                      > body wo't allow me to copy and paste the new info into the body of the
                      > text. If I hihlight text , and then hit delete or backspace or enter,
                      > the text just sits there, it won't delete.
                      >
                      > And if I right click highlighted text in my new forwarded meassage,
                      > there is no option to "paste" (even though I have text in my clipboard).
                      >
                      > Ack!
                      >
                      > What gives!?
                      >
                      > Yahoo has ruined my system!
                      >
                      > Can I get the "Draft" ca[pability back by using the new email ? Is that
                      > permanent?
                      >
                      > Bruce
                      >

                      > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Christian <cdpostbox-ygroups@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi,
                      > >
                      > > I simply do not get it: What is so horribly wrong with Yahoo! Mail
                      > these days? I mean, if you do not like the new interface, there's
                      > Classic. What else is so wrong?

                    • Robin Siegel
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 1 12:25 PM
                        When I complained about the very same thing months ago, Ryan told me that so few users would be inconvenienced by this change that I would just have to learn to live with it.

                        It's worse even than I expected, because copying and pasting often results in unformatted text that runs into the right-hand boxes or won't wrap.

                        Supposedly you can press the shift key while you press send and your draft will be saved. Unfortunately you only have a minute or so (feels like a minute, maybe it's three) to finish and send your email before the auto-save updates your draft, deleting the original.

                        I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do. It's very sad.

                        Robin

                        I use the Draft feature intensively, alll day, every day.

                        Suddenly the functionality of my Draft folder is gone. I send similar
                        amails to various people over and over. I want to go back to my saved
                        drafts, and copy and paste content into a standard email, and nowI
                        can't do that because my drafts are disappearing from the Draft folder
                        when I send them. Now I have to go into Sent, and try to rebuild the
                        email by creating a "forward" message, and copy and paste the addres
                        from the header in the body of the email back up to the To; box.

                        Except that won't even work today (it did yesterday) because now when I
                        create the "forwarded" message, the text entry windo for the message
                        body wo't allow me to copy and paste the new info into the body of the
                        text. If I hihlight text , and then hit delete or backspace or enter,
                        the text just sits there, it won't delete.

                        And if I right click highlighted text in my new forwarded meassage,
                        there is no option to "paste" (even though I have text in my clipboard).

                        Ack!

                        What gives!?

                        Yahoo has ruined my system!

                        Can I get the "Draft" ca[pability back by using the new email ? Is that
                        permanent?

                        Bruce

                        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, Christian <cdpostbox-ygroups@ ...> wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > I simply do not get it: What is so horribly wrong with Yahoo! Mail
                        these days? I mean, if you do not like the new interface, there's
                        Classic. What else is so wrong?

                      • Simmie
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 1 1:18 PM
                          Another thing that can be done is set up a folder in Yahoo!Mail to use as templates -- when you need to use them, go in, Copy them and Paste into a new document.

                          Maybe not as efficient as it used to be, but it does work.

                          Simmie

                        • Ryan
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 1 1:57 PM
                            Greetings draft power users,

                            In my defense, I don't think I said it quite like Robin described, but the end result is still
                            the same. I in no way wanted to suggest that you guys are of a small number...so TOUGH.
                            Unfortunately, if we are to provide auto-saving of drafts (something the vast majority of
                            users really want) it requires that the drafts folder be handled differently.

                            Robin references the override that will prevent your message from moving to SENT after
                            you send, but you will also have to consider that it will always update to the latest auto-
                            saved version. For my money saving the content elsewhere is the best bet.

                            You should be able to compose your messages and send them to yourself, then just create
                            a "Templates" folder and move the messages there. You can copy/paste the content from
                            those messages into a new message, and update there. You don't want to use the
                            FORWARD option, because it will automatically initiate forward formatting (indents and
                            stuff).

                            At least that works with all of my testing, but I'd also love to hear how others are choosing
                            to work around the Auto-Save changes.

                            Ryan
                            Community Manager
                            Y! Mail
                          • Christian
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 1 2:41 PM
                              Hi,

                              I'll take having auto save to draft any day over all other draft related features. I do not know how many times I've been sitting there looking at my wonderfully written masterpiece of an e-mail and then something happens like a browser crash, kid pulling the plug, ghost in the machine etc, and my masterpiece is gone. That hasn't happened after auto save. So do NOT take that away EVER! :) And no, I will not remember to hit "save to draft". I just won't. I know it, because I didn't when I had to.

                              I'll strangle Ryan or tell MS to purchase Yahoo (or both!) if that feature is taken away again! :)

                              --
                              Christian

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 1 3:00 PM
                                me 2.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 1 3:12 PM
                                  Thanks Christian - slightly emphatically put, but nevertheless I agree with you. I think I'm also in the fortunate majority who thought the change to auto-save drafts was a great one.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 1 3:49 PM
                                    Please forgive me, Ryan and group, if I cast Ryan's comments in an unfavorable light. Ryan has been exceedingly helpful to me since he came on board, as well as being very polite.

                                    His last communication to me regarding this problem in mid-March did indicate that the "vast majority" of YM users prefer the new draft system, and although the YM team considered it important to try to meet the needs of the rest of us, I should try to make the copy-and-paste options work for me. I don't mind reminding him once in a while that we're still a grumbling minority, trying to keep our sanity in an increasingly email-dependent world.

                                    Note to the group member who objected to this thread: On the whole, I love Yahoo mail (and have never compared it to gmail or Outlook!) and most of the new upgrades to both NM and Classic are great. It's been wonderful having this forum to express our opinions as the protocol moved through the various versions. It's a forum that Yahoo supports, and members should not be shot down for expressing their opinions about the product they've been asked to critique.

                                    Robin

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 1 3:49 PM
                                      Christian,

                                      Your saved drafts, and my neck, have nothing to worry about. We did a lot of work to get it
                                      into New Mail, and just did even more work to add it to Classic too, so we are pretty
                                      committed to it staying.

                                      That being said, we still want to find a way to help these Draft Template users ... it just needs
                                      to be a solution that doesn't conflict with the auto-save. :)

                                      -Ryan
                                    • belfioregroups
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 8 3:35 PM
                                        And that's without mentioning Calendar & Notepad ... it's becoming
                                        ridiculous... starting to believe that only Microsoft will be able to
                                        finish the work for you ...