Re: The first public viewing of the Mail beta

  • jbeaul
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 7 10:38 PM
      What does the interface look like?

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Joshua Logan" <emailjaylogan@y...> wrote:
      > This is not what the interface actually looks like.
    • abonet
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 18, 2005
        Considering that Yahoo purchased a working product it seems its taking
        a notably long time for them to "port" it to Yahoo's Mail. I was sort
        of dissapointed in how much its still missing: no working
        spell-checker on Mozilla/Firefox, no real integration with Calendar,
        lots of CPU usage during certain operations.

        How many years off would this thing be if they started from scratch?

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "jbeaul" <joe@b...> wrote:

        > http://tinyurl.com/b54yv
        >
        > Looks like a straight port of OddPost. Not much difference from the
        > latest implementation of OddPost. I guess if it ain't broke, don't
        > fix it!
        >
        > Joe

      • Silvana Wasitova
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 18, 2005
          Hmm.... considering the millions of Yahoo users out there (how many users did Oddpost have?),
          I'd expect it would take more than just a "simple port".

          Silvana Wasitova - wasitova@...

          Considering that Yahoo purchased a working product it seems its taking
          a notably long time for them to "port" it to Yahoo's Mail. I was sort
          of dissapointed in how much its still missing: no working
          spell-checker on Mozilla/Firefox, no real integration with Calendar,
          lots of CPU usage during certain operations.

          How many years off would this thing be if they started from scratch?

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "jbeaul" <joe@b...> wrote:

          > http://tinyurl.com/b54yv
          >
          > Looks like a straight port of OddPost. Not much difference from the
          > latest implementation of OddPost. I guess if it ain't broke, don't
          > fix it!
          >
          > Joe

          Beta Promote Apply for

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.

        • Greg Vergho
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 18, 2005
            As a former Oddpost user, I would say that Silvana is on the right
            track. Oddpost won't say how many users they had when they stopped
            taking new accounts in July of 2004, but it was/is no where near the
            number that Yahoo has.

            As far as a simple port of the software, Oddpost worked under
            Internet Explorer only. If you brought it up in Firefox, it
            wouldn't even launch. Oddpost also spawned a completely locked IE
            window that you couldn't use for anything else but the Oddpost
            client and that was their way of controling the reliability of the
            interface.

            In tackling changing the Yahoo Mail client, they have to contend
            with different browsers, operating systems, and hardware to somehow
            try to satisfy every Yahoo user out there. I'm betting this thing
            could be in beta for a while longer.

            But they have a little pressure to get this done sooner than later.
            Hotmail is close on their heals with their Tsunami beta and they
            should only have to build on their existing Outlook Web Access
            client which already works very well for corporate MS Exchange users.

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Silvana Wasitova <wasitova@y...>
            wrote:

            > Hmm.... considering the millions of Yahoo users out there (how
            many users did Oddpost have?),
            > I'd expect it would take more than just a "simple port".
            >
            > Silvana Wasitova - wasitova@y...

            Guillaume
            > Beta Promote Apply for
            >

            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >
            > Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.

            Service.

          • abonet
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 6, 2006
              I never claimed it was "simple", but something as basic as a
              spell-checker? C'mon, they could probably hire some college student
              as an intern for a week and get that working on Mozilla.

              Heck, I'm using Google Toolbar as a spell-checker for my Yahoo! Beta
              Mail on Firefox. What's wrong with that picture?