Yahoo! Mail Classic

  • daynelloconor
    Message 1 of 28 , May 26, 2008
      Does anyone still have that link that logs you into Yahoo! Classic
      automatically, even if you use the new version. Also, does anyone know
      when Yahoo! GO will be released for the LG Voyager?
    • DaveM
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 21, 2011
        It looks like there has been a lot of discussion about the future of Yahoo! Mail Classic.

        As many of you noticed, we removed the "Return to Original Mail" link from the help menu and we're strongly encouraging all users to migrate to the newest version of Yahoo! Mail, which is measurably faster and safer. And, we hope, simpler-to-use. We will invest heavily in the latest version of Yahoo! Mail, further improving it and delivering more compelling features to our users so that, over time, it should be the clear choice for users.

        If anyone has questions about switching back, we have some content at this page: http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/ymail/migrating/fromclassic/mltamnoswitch.html

        Thanks for all your feedback...
      • ottawahitech
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 22, 2011
          I am not a fan of email - I prefer to post directly to Groups. However, I cannot help but comment on this message which directs us to a Help page that says the following:

          "We hope you'll give this new version a try. It's..."

          How can I "try" a piece of software which gives me no alternatives? Isn't Yahoo forgetting to consider the needs of people like me who have no interest in email bells and whistles and who do not have the time to invest in learning a new system?

          Yahoo Groups tried a similar "remodel" last year and the end result was chaos that resulted in many oldtimers being forced to leave the nest, which makes one wonder if Yahoo appreciates us loyal users or is it only interested in chasing those elusive potential new members?

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "DaveM" <dave.mcdowell@...> wrote:

          > It looks like there has been a lot of discussion about the future of Yahoo! Mail Classic.
          >
          > As many of you noticed, we removed the "Return to Original Mail" link from the help menu and we're strongly encouraging all users to migrate to the newest version of Yahoo! Mail, which is measurably faster and safer. And, we hope, simpler-to-use. We will invest heavily in the latest version of Yahoo! Mail, further improving it and delivering more compelling features to our users so that, over time, it should be the clear choice for users.
          >
          > If anyone has questions about switching back, we have some content at this page: http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/ymail/migrating/fromclassic/mltamnoswitch.html
          >
          > Thanks for all your feedback...

        • Gabriel
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 22, 2011
            You raise a very good point, and I wondered that too when I read it. Difficult to get someone to try something if you also force them to accept it. Could have been phrased a bit better I guess.

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "ottawahitech" <ottawahitech@...> wrote:

            > I am not a fan of email - I prefer to post directly to Groups. However, I cannot help but comment on this message which directs us to a Help page that says the following:
            >
            > "We hope you'll give this new version a try. It's..."
            >
            > How can I "try" a piece of software which gives me no alternatives? Isn't Yahoo forgetting to consider the needs of people like me who have no interest in email bells and whistles and who do not have the time to invest in learning a new system?
            >
            > Yahoo Groups tried a similar "remodel" last year and the end result was chaos that resulted in many oldtimers being forced to leave the nest, which makes one wonder if Yahoo appreciates us loyal users or is it only interested in chasing those elusive potential new members?
            >
            > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "DaveM" <dave.mcdowell@> wrote:
            > >
            > > It looks like there has been a lot of discussion about the future of Yahoo! Mail Classic.
            > >
            > > As many of you noticed, we removed the "Return to Original Mail" link from the help menu and we're strongly encouraging all users to migrate to the newest version of Yahoo! Mail, which is measurably faster and safer. And, we hope, simpler-to-use. We will invest heavily in the latest version of Yahoo! Mail, further improving it and delivering more compelling features to our users so that, over time, it should be the clear choice for users.
            > >
            > > If anyone has questions about switching back, we have some content at this page: http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/ymail/migrating/fromclassic/mltamnoswitch.html
            > >
            > > Thanks for all your feedback...

          • Paula Barger
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 22, 2011
              I don't have a problem with new and improved and upgrade.  I have a problem with going backwards or pushing something out that is flawed.  Here is how you have gone backwards:

              1.  Twice I have had to rebuild my contacts and/or my categories in my contacts folder after "upgrading."  The last time I had to find a work around (wasn't easy) to switch back to a former version in order to have access to deleted contacts which Yahoo decided to delete for me.  I had already "upgraded" and when I realized the contacts were gone, I discovered there was no "deleted contacts" folder in the new version and if I couldn't get back to the older version, I would have lost 2/3 of my contacts.  The first contact from Yahoo when I reported the problem, which I fixed myself both times I might add, told me to clean my cache and disable my virus scan.  So you are telling me that cache's and virus scans can affect Yahoo's contacts storage and organization?  Give me a break.

              2.  All these applications and settings get in the way of actually USING the mail.  I don't want to be signed into Messenger until I am ready, but I can't find a way to turn it off except sign out every time I sign in.  I don't want Facebook integrated with my email.  But you take up real estate in my interface to put these things in and I can't get rid of them.  I realize others want a "complete" experience, but some of us do not.

              3.  As mentioned before, there is no "deleted contacts" link in the contacts folder.

              4.  Fix duplicates is virtually useless.  I don't know what criteria you use, but you try to "connect" contacts that have absolutely nothing in common except a category.  That's just plain silly.  And when you don't merge them, there is no way to say "Don't ever merge these" so every time you try to run the duplicates tool, you get the same "suggested" mergers.

              5.  Nearly everything in the new mail takes an extra click I didn't have to take in the previous version:  Adding attachments and formatting both take an extra click with this new layout.

              6.  Sorting mail - I like to sort my mail by date with the new mail at the bottom so I can read them in order.  The previous version held that sort AND put the "cursor" down to the first new mail when you opened a folder.  Now I have to click twice on the date sort column, once to resort them with the new on the top, then once to resort them with the new on the bottom and only then does it go to the first new email at the bottom.  Once again, extra clicks I didn't have to do before.

              I like Yahoo mail, I really do.  I like the folders and the filter capabilities.  I detest anything left in my "Inbox" so I can't stand Gmail.  But you got me all used to being able to do what I need and want to do quickly and efficiently, then you threw a monkey wrench in the mix making things more difficult not easier to use.  Upgrade all you want, improve it all you want, but make sure it works right before you roll it out and someone tell your developers that adding extra steps to something is NOT improving things....

              In His Grip,
              Paula Barger

              "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."  2 Timothy 1:7
              http://www.bereanhouston.org/

              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 22, 2011
                I have seen lots of reluctance for upgrading to New Y-mail since last few days. People always try to avoid all the types of changes in their life. This is a normal human behavior. But when a change is for the betterment, one should try to overcome the resistance to change and should welcome the change in its true spirit.

                I have seen so many people writing lengthy email for registering their unwillingness to change to new Y-mail version. Instead they could have spent their valuable time to go through the new Y-mail interface. People can not justify that they don't need full featured Y-mail interface just because they are basic email users and do not need HTML5 version of New Y-mail. In New Y-mail, basic functions of composing mails, checking mails and adding contacts are also available !!! New Y-mail has not changed the way of messaging ! Even the interface is also similar. What required is just to spend few minutes to get used to it.

                In my opinion, one should stop resisting and start getting used to the New Y-mail interface... Just because in simple words You have no other options !!!

                On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 6:03 AM, DaveM <dave.mcdowell@...> wrote:

                It looks like there has been a lot of discussion about the future of Yahoo! Mail Classic.

                As many of you noticed, we removed the "Return to Original Mail" link from the help menu and we're strongly encouraging all users to migrate to the newest version of Yahoo! Mail, which is measurably faster and safer. And, we hope, simpler-to-use. We will invest heavily in the latest version of Yahoo! Mail, further improving it and delivering more compelling features to our users so that, over time, it should be the clear choice for users.

                If anyone has questions about switching back, we have some content at this page: http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/ymail/migrating/fromclassic/mltamnoswitch.html

                Thanks for all your feedback...

              • Harryh
                Message 7 of 28 , Jun 22, 2011
                  Talk about obscuring the topic! I had hoped for a way to switch back so I could try the new, new, improved, nearly non-beta, mail. Alas, no such luck. I guess I will continue using classic until the light are turned off.

                  > discussion about the future of Yahoo! Mail Classic.
                  >
                  > As many of you noticed, we removed the "Return to Original
                  > Mail" link from the help menu and we're strongly encouraging
                  > all users to migrate to the newest version of Yahoo! Mail,
                  > which is measurably faster and safer. And, we hope,
                  > simpler-to-use. We will invest heavily in the latest version
                  > of Yahoo! Mail, further improving it and delivering more
                  > compelling features to our users so that, over time, it
                  > should be the clear choice for users.
                  >
                  > If anyone has questions about switching back, we have some
                  > content at this page: http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/ymail/migrating/fromclassic/mltamnoswitch.html
                  >
                  > Thanks for all your feedback...

                  >     Y-Mail-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                • Shal Farley
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 22, 2011
                    oth,

                    > "We hope you'll give this new version a try. It's..."
                    >
                    > How can I "try" a piece of software which gives me no alternatives?

                    If you're still on Classic, use a second account to test the new one. That way you don't have to worry about the "no switch back" policy. It is a little less convenient than being able to freely switch back, but workable if you don't mind using two browsers to keep your logins separate.

                    > Yahoo Groups tried a similar "remodel" last year and the end result was
                    > chaos that resulted in many oldtimers being forced to leave the nest,
                    > which makes one wonder if Yahoo appreciates us loyal users or is it only
                    > interested in chasing those elusive potential new members?

                    Given that Yahoo completely rolled back the "remodelled" Groups experience I'm not sure why any oldtimers would feel that they were forced to leave. I /do/ understand why many felt forced to prepare to leave, as the remodel at one point appeared inevitable. Maybe some of those felt compelled to follow through on their preparations, having gone to the effort.

                    Be that as it may, ...

                    The key unanswered question is how long loyal Classic users will be allowed to continue using Classic. So far, Yahoo has stopped short of making a definitive statement. Thinking about it, I can understand why. Announcing a date certain would no doubt ignite an uproar. OTOH, stating that Classic would continue indefinitely might be taken as a commitment that Yahoo could find inconvenient as time goes on. Asking and encouraging, rather than requiring, leaves Yahoo's options open.

                    -- Shal
                  • Harryh
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jun 23, 2011
                      No other options?  Really? Gmail, fastmail, etc are options.

                      I don't want to change, not because I'm resistant to change, but because I prefer a minimalist interface with little clutter.  It's bad enough with classic to see a chat capability.  When I read mail, I do not want to chat - ever.  For that matter I don't want to chat.  Call me old fashioned.

                      Further, sometimes I am hobbled by the need to use really obsolete hardware that can only run early browsers.  HTML-5 requires a better browser.  Other competitors can interface with those browsers, why can't Yahoo?

                      There is no reason for me to change except that Yahoo, in it's wisdom, has decided I must.  If so, I can decide to go elsewhere <sigh>.  I've used Yahoo webmail for many years to screen mail and I pay for POP3 access to collect mail I want to save.  My storage is both more secure and has higher availability.  I have had past issues with Yahoo's implementation of POP3 during their various trials - amazing, I know, since POP3 has been around forever predating the web.

                      Yahoo can readily determine when I access with an old browser and if they deliver classic under that circumstance I could live with the implementation.  It appears that may be the case since it has been reported the access by IE6 gets to classic, but I have no assurance that  will be the case.  I dred the notion of a one-way trip to new, newmail.  In previous incarnations of new mail I would often switch to get to an interface that could quickly do what I need to do and do it more rapidly than what the new interface provided.  I want to retain that ability in a service I pay for.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 23, 2011
                        There is AOL.. Eudora.. Linux and this..

                        http://lists.topica.com/login.html?loginError=12006&al=

                        I'm sticking with classic til the end be that ever..
                        I've tried new mail.. not as attractive for me as classic but hey if you are just sending emails and surfing the net it's fine.. what make a mountain out of a mole hill..
                        Nothing earth shaking here ferchrisakes... My take..

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 23, 2011
                          If a person is not willing to change to even newer version of same webmail, how can I imagine the same person to altogether switch from one webmail service to another...!

                          Further, why don't you invest few bucks to buy a new machine instead of criticizing Y-mail for its investments in new version. It seems that you are trying to save few dollars at the cost of Yahoo!.... Yahoo is already a troubled company, financially, strategically and otherwise. Why are you spreading salt and black pepper on the already wounded company.... Instead you should consider change to Gmail because I feel that in the coming years we all have to migrate to other webmail provider as Yahoo does not seem to be comfortable with its competitors.

                          My earlier comments were just a general observations, but unfortunately you took it personally. I am really sorry for that...

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 23, 2011
                            Linux is an operating system, not email.

                            **Sasafrass452**
                            http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
                            http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jun 23, 2011
                              SUmit, you raise a point I was going to make too and I think I've made before.

                              If Classic does go eventually, then one way or another, Classic users will have to move to something. In fact Yahoo has made transition to the new mail very easy, including the layout of the page. Switching to another email provider will require learning a new interface as well as changing email address - personally, I'd choose the first option.

                              Message 14 of 28 , Jun 23, 2011
                                I got a mail from Yahoo this AM saying that in a month Classic users would be asked to switch.

                                Lorrie

                              • Holly Hennessey
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jun 23, 2011
                                  HEY LAURIE, I HOPE UR RIGHT

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jun 23, 2011
                                    i guess you missed my post where i said that i have tried the new mail ( before the option to change back was removed !) 3 times...i kept going back because of glitches and frustration and having to get rid of things i didn't want.
                                    it would be much better, imo, if the basic was offered with add ons as people want them...
                                    same idea as apps......
                                    this would be so much less cumbersome and irritating than having to disable all kinds of stuff.
                                    adds

                                    Bastet
                                    Crows

                                    (unknown author).

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jun 23, 2011
                                      yup....this is why i have not tried it yet again.
                                      adds

                                      Bastet
                                      Crows

                                      (unknown author).

                                          Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

                                    • adeomus ********

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jun 23, 2011
                                          I think there may be misunderstandings between what people believe are the add-ons of New Mail and the "simple" Classic mail

                                          I have tried both and found Classic to have just as much stuff on the screen.

                                          Could you list the unnecessary add-ons you think may be in New Mail? Perhaps, those of us using it may be able to reassure the Classic users that it isn't such a big step after all and that anything not required can be ignored without distraction.

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jun 24, 2011
                                            I have an email from Yahoo support saying that if you DON'T click on the Agree button for the new Ymail then you will remain on Classic for a while at least.

                                            I too like Classic and have no reason to want to swap. I use it on my netbook which would not support the resolution required be the previous "new" Yahoo email. I assume they have fixed this now.

                                            I'm not sure what I will do when I am forced to swap but I do quite like the current Hotmail interface. GMail sucks big time.

                                            Hopefully Yahoo will keep classic alive for a lot longer yet for those of us that need or want anything better.

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jun 24, 2011
                                              I can't understand why basic e-mail users are criticizing New Y-mail. It is same messaging system. Yahoo has not changed the way of messaging in the newer version. The new interface is also quite clean and ease to use. All the basic functions are also easily visible and accessible in the New version also. The new features (although very few compared to Gmail and Hotmail) are added without affecting simplicity of old user interface. I would like to know how many of the classic users were unable to find compose mail button in the New UI ? How many of the classic users don't know where is the Inbox, folders, contacts in New UI ?? I am really sorry to say that please stop complaining like kids and start learning....

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jun 24, 2011
                                                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

                                                > > Yahoo Groups tried a similar "remodel" last year and the end result was
                                                > > chaos that resulted in many oldtimers being forced to leave the nest,
                                                > > which makes one wonder if Yahoo appreciates us loyal users or is it only
                                                > > interested in chasing those elusive potential new members?
                                                >
                                                > Given that Yahoo completely rolled back the "remodelled" Groups
                                                > experience I'm not sure why any oldtimers would feel that they were
                                                > forced to leave. I /do/ understand why many felt forced to prepare to
                                                > leave, as the remodel at one point appeared inevitable.

                                                I did not leave Yahoo Groups, so I cannot answer the question. However, you may find some answers by looking at some of the comments on this old USAtoday story:

                                                Yahoo shows off new Mail program
                                                http://content.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/post/2010/09/yahoo-sneak-peek/1?csp=34

                                                BTW I found this USAtoday story when I was reading the ymail wikipedia page at:
                                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo!_Mail
                                                trying to make sense of how manhy versions of Yahoo Mail there are. I was confused about it because of questions posted on Yahoo Answers:
                                                http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/index?sid=396546412
                                                which only has a "Yahoo! Mail Beta" category (no Classic and no New Mail).

                                                Another BTW: I still have no clue how many versions of Yahoo Mail there are (were)
                                              • adeomus ********
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jun 24, 2011
                                                  there is talk of facebook, twitter etc...i really really don't want any social networks at all...

                                                  i don't want updates either.

                                                   i don't want to have to " opt out" of all kinds of things...to buy a shirt and have to cut off all the ribbons and bows <G>.

                                                  when i first tried the new mail i was shocked cuz i was immediately bombarded with people wanting to chat !
                                                  i had to apologize to the windows that were popping up all over the place
                                                   as i was finding out how to disable the damm thing.

                                                  i never learned about these things only because i never wanted to....
                                                  i tried messenger a few times but have no time for it....
                                                  why should i learn things i have no use for, simply because others want them ?

                                                  it would be great if people had to " opt IN" to things that interest them, instead....
                                                  since no doubt not all things are of interest to all people.

                                                  i tried it a couple of times more just because i wanted to see if it was better, to give it another chance..like the much touted movie " pulp fiction"<G>.
                                                  nope, still didn't like it.

                                                  and now that cannot switch back, that has clinched it....will stick with it til i am forced to change.....and will promptly disable everything except basic mail.

                                                  thank you for discussing these things....i really appreciate it.
                                                  adds

                                                  Bastet
                                                  Crows

                                                  (unknown author).

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jun 24, 2011
                                                    oth,

                                                    > I did not leave Yahoo Groups, so I cannot answer the question. However,
                                                    > you may find some answers by looking at some of the comments on this old
                                                    > USAtoday story:

                                                    No answers there, those comments all were obviated by the rollback. I already understand why people thought they would have to leave...

                                                    > Another BTW: I still have no clue how many versions of Yahoo Mail there
                                                    > are (were)

                                                    Heh, I stopped counting at two: Classic plus something else. I had migrated one of my test accounts to New some time ago, but I never played with the later ones.

                                                    I think shortly there will only be two, Classic and "newest". How long that will last, before there is only "newest", I think is still open to speculation.

                                                    -- Shal
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jun 27, 2011
                                                      just to let you know that the facebook twitter thing is actually opt in, and is also available on Classic.

                                                      If you don't link your yahoo account to facebook or twitter, then you don't get either.

                                                      Actually, in Classic, the Facebook ./ Twitter feed is more intrusive as it's on the front page of Mail. In the new version, it's in a separate tab "Updates" which you can just ignore if you don't want to use it.

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Jun 27, 2011
                                                        Question..I knowm so many must have the latest thing..
                                                         be up to "date" be in with the crowd and all that jazz..
                                                        what can you do with this facebook or twitter you can't
                                                        do in a simple email? I remember mwhen cell telephones
                                                         first came out.. I knew people who were doing what was known
                                                        as "posing".. cell up to their ear. not connection.. talking to no one..
                                                        but they figured it ( they) looked 'cool'.. humans are the only creatures
                                                         that have this 'phoney' hang up.  oh well to each their own.

                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Jun 27, 2011
                                                          * perks up* that sounds like the first hopeful thing i have yet yet !
                                                          maybe they can do the same with chat/messenger ?

                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Jun 27, 2011
                                                            <G>...used to be the big shots who first had cell phones...now the big shots don't carry them and have their assistants do that.
                                                            ironic.

                                                            but people on them and messenger continuously...i have no idea what i would be saying all that time.

                                                            lol...ok, dropping off topic topic now...

                                                            Bastet
                                                            Crows

                                                            (unknown author).