SpamGuard Plus

  • mfm_ii
    Message 1 of 4 , May 23, 2008
      Hi,

      I am hoping I can find someone who will commiserate with me.

      I will admit my Yahoo! account is my throw-away account. I give it out
      every time some jerk wants to contact me. And that policy has earned
      me a lot of spam. But in my defense the spam is where I want it: not
      in my real Inbox.

      I guess the part that confuses me is that it does not have to be this
      way. Yahoo! has SpamGuard Plus which claims to block a lot more spam
      than SpamGuard (the basic offering). But SpamGuard Plus is only
      available to users who pay Yahoo! (what I call protection money) to
      upgrade their account. In other words, give us money or eat a ton of
      spam. And in my case it is ridiculous. Now I am not saying I should
      get something for nothing (despite having a free E-mail account paid
      for by advertising and training their "real" spam filter by naively
      tagging all that crap as spam.)

      But don't you think it would be in everyone's best interest if all
      Yahoo! mail users got working spam protection in the form of SpamGuard
      Plus? Having a spam filter that worked would put more eyes on their
      ads, which would net them more money than charging for SpamGuard Plus.

      Let me know what you think.

      Mike
    • travllr
      Message 2 of 4 , May 23, 2008
        Good gawd, man - spare us your whining. You get what you pay for,
        which is as it should be.

        trav

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "mfm_ii" <mfm_ii@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I am hoping I can find someone who will commiserate with me.
        >
        > I will admit my Yahoo! account is my throw-away account. I give it
        out
        > every time some jerk wants to contact me. And that policy has earned
        > me a lot of spam. But in my defense the spam is where I want it: not
        > in my real Inbox.
        >
        > I guess the part that confuses me is that it does not have to be
        this
        > way. Yahoo! has SpamGuard Plus which claims to block a lot more spam
        > than SpamGuard (the basic offering). But SpamGuard Plus is only
        > available to users who pay Yahoo! (what I call protection money) to
        > upgrade their account. In other words, give us money or eat a ton of
        > spam. And in my case it is ridiculous. Now I am not saying I should
        > get something for nothing (despite having a free E-mail account paid
        > for by advertising and training their "real" spam filter by naively
        > tagging all that crap as spam.)
        >
        > But don't you think it would be in everyone's best interest if all
        > Yahoo! mail users got working spam protection in the form of
        SpamGuard
        > Plus? Having a spam filter that worked would put more eyes on their
        > ads, which would net them more money than charging for SpamGuard
        Plus.

        > Let me know what you think.
        >
        > Mike

      • morac1974
        Message 3 of 4 , May 26, 2008
          As someone who pays for Yahoo Mail and therefore gets Spamguard Plus I
          can tell you that it's not all that great. I'd say that lately it
          blocks about 85% of the spam I receive (most of the spam getting
          through is spam from Yahoo and GMail users). You can compare that to
          what you get with the free version.

          This is how Yahoo describes Spam Guard Plus:

          "[SpamGuard Plus] actually "learns" what you consider spam, and uses
          that knowledge to determine which messages to allow. And which to
          boot. The more you teach SpamGuard Plus, the better it will work for you."

          From my experience SpamGuard Plus does not work as described above.
          If it did then if I tagged the same message as spam day after day, it
          should stop showing up in my mailbox relatively quickly (especially if
          I get the same spam messages many times per day). In the past I
          received the same spam message literally hundreds of times over a few
          week period and tagged every single one as "spam". Spam Guard Plus
          never figured out that that message was spam, even months later.
          Compared this to anti-spam products which learn very quickly

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "mfm_ii" <mfm_ii@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I am hoping I can find someone who will commiserate with me.
          >
          > I will admit my Yahoo! account is my throw-away account. I give it out
          > every time some jerk wants to contact me. And that policy has earned
          > me a lot of spam. But in my defense the spam is where I want it: not
          > in my real Inbox.
          >
          > I guess the part that confuses me is that it does not have to be this
          > way. Yahoo! has SpamGuard Plus which claims to block a lot more spam
          > than SpamGuard (the basic offering). But SpamGuard Plus is only
          > available to users who pay Yahoo! (what I call protection money) to
          > upgrade their account. In other words, give us money or eat a ton of
          > spam. And in my case it is ridiculous. Now I am not saying I should
          > get something for nothing (despite having a free E-mail account paid
          > for by advertising and training their "real" spam filter by naively
          > tagging all that crap as spam.)
          >
          > But don't you think it would be in everyone's best interest if all
          > Yahoo! mail users got working spam protection in the form of SpamGuard
          > Plus? Having a spam filter that worked would put more eyes on their
          > ads, which would net them more money than charging for SpamGuard Plus.
          >
          > Let me know what you think.
          >
          > Mike

        • Mario Sergio
          Message 4 of 4 , May 27, 2008
            No spam here, so to me Spam Guard Plus works pretty fine

            Um abraço,
            Mario Sergio.

            As someone who pays for Yahoo Mail and therefore gets Spamguard Plus I
            can tell you that it's not all that great.  I'd say that lately it
            blocks about 85% of the spam I receive (most of the spam getting
            through is spam from Yahoo and GMail users). You can compare that to
            what you get with the free version.

            This is how Yahoo describes Spam Guard Plus:

            "[SpamGuard Plus] actually "learns" what you consider spam, and uses
            that knowledge to determine which messages to allow. And which to
            boot. The more you teach SpamGuard Plus, the better it will work for you."

            From my experience SpamGuard Plus does not work as described above.

                mailto:Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com