Re: [Y-Mail] breaking news

  • too_much green_tea
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3, 2008
      And no proxy fight ...
      http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/04/technology/04soft.html

      ----- Original Message ----
      From: Kurt Norris <kurtrnorris@...>
      To: Yahoo Mail group <Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, May 3, 2008 9:02:41 PM
      Subject: [Y-Mail] breaking news

      Microsoft walks away from the yahoo deal.

    • Ryan Lee
      Message 2 of 11 , May 4, 2008
        Yeah shocking considering just yesterday people were reporting that the deal was near closing.

        Microsoft walks away from the yahoo deal.

      • Sasafrass
        Message 3 of 11 , May 4, 2008
          For now, at least.... I'll bet they come back in a couple months with another offer that'll be harder for Yahoo to refuse.

          Kurt Norris wrote:
          Microsoft walks away from the yahoo deal.

        • Mark
          Message 4 of 11 , May 4, 2008

            Exactly. This is playing out exactly as I anticipated (as previously posted). I would like to think MS is done with Yahoo, IMO it is the smartest thing MS could do. But even if it is over, Yahoo! now has even bigger problems to face than it did prior to the bid; starting with the inevitable stock crash on Monday morning.

            It will not take long for stockholders, many of whom also hold MS stock, to put the board's collective necks on the chopping block. Unless evidence of a turnaround or alternative plan emerges, things will get ugly for Yahoo! in a big hurry. Outsourcing some search to Google was a horrible tactic that may have helped thwart this bid, but what does it say about the future of Yahoo!? It was a shortsighted tactic (IMO). I suspect the only reason MS decided not to go "hostile" due to the poison pill tactics that were going to be invoked had they done so.

            I will be shocked if MS is not back with another offer in a couple of months, expect more lawsuits against the board as stockholders watch their equity disappear in the coming days/weeks. I'm not looking forward to it.

            > For now, at least.... I'll bet they come back in a couple months with
            > another offer that'll be harder for Yahoo to refuse.
            >
            > Kurt Norris wrote:
            > > Microsoft walks away from the yahoo deal.

            > > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try
            > > it now.
            > > <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ%20>

          • Frankie Luo
            Message 5 of 11 , May 4, 2008
              I think so, Yahoo's stock will go down Monday, after Yahoo's stock down to a certain level, Microsoft will send another offer.

              Message 6 of 11 , May 4, 2008
                It will indeed be interesting to see what happens when the stock market opens on Monday.  So sad that folks want to get a big offer for their Yahoo! shares and sell it, not caring what happens to the company itself when Microsoft gets their hands on it and ruins it.  So the stock goes down, Microsoft tries again, the stock goes back up, rinse, repeat.

                Well, I have my exit strategery still in place should MS get its hands on Yahoo! and mess it up by switching to Microsoft technology.

                Too bad that Yahoo! doesn't try to make more money off of, say, expanding the Y!Mail Plus program to have more features like .Mac does.  .Mac is way overpriced, IMHO, but I'd pay $60/yr. to Yahoo! to get all those features, with the exception of remote computer access.  Or charge me $35/yr. for Y!Mail Plus and no ads on any Yahoo! page.
              • Sasafrass
                Message 7 of 11 , May 5, 2008
                  It does seem likely that M$ will make another offer, & if the deal happens, I'll be moving to Google. I'm ready, whether it's a week, a month, or year from now, my Gmail account is waiting....

                  Lloyd Haskins wrote:
                  It will indeed be interesting to see what happens when the stock market opens on Monday.  So sad that folks want to get a big offer for their Yahoo! shares and sell it, not caring what happens to the company itself when Microsoft gets their hands on it and ruins it.  So the stock goes down, Microsoft tries again, the stock goes back up, rinse, repeat.

                  Well, I have my exit strategery still in place should MS get its hands on Yahoo! and mess it up by switching to Microsoft technology.

                  Too bad that Yahoo! doesn't try to make more money off of, say, expanding the Y!Mail Plus program to have more features like .Mac does.  .Mac is way overpriced, IMHO, but I'd pay $60/yr. to Yahoo! to get all those features, with the exception of remote computer access.  Or charge me $35/yr. for Y!Mail Plus and no ads on any Yahoo! page.
                • daynelloconor
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 5, 2008
                    If M$ does take over, what will happen? Won't everything still run the
                    same?

                    > It does seem likely that M$ will make another offer, & if the deal
                    > happens, I'll be moving to Google. I'm ready, whether it's a week, a
                    > month, or year from now, my Gmail account is waiting....
                    >
                    > Lloyd Haskins wrote:
                    > > It will indeed be interesting to see what happens when the stock
                    > > market opens on Monday. So sad that folks want to get a big offer
                    for
                    > > their Yahoo! shares and sell it, not caring what happens to the
                    > > company itself when Microsoft gets their hands on it and ruins it.
                    So
                    > > the stock goes down, Microsoft tries again, the stock goes back up,
                    > > rinse, repeat.
                    > >
                    > > Well, I have my exit strategery still in place should MS get its
                    hands
                    > > on Yahoo! and mess it up by switching to Microsoft technology.
                    > >
                    > > Too bad that Yahoo! doesn't try to make more money off of, say,
                    > > expanding the Y!Mail Plus program to have more features like .Mac
                    > > <http://www.apple.com/dotmac/> does. .Mac is way overpriced, IMHO,
                    > > but I'd pay $60/yr. to Yahoo! to get all those features, with the
                    > > exception of remote computer access. Or charge me $35/yr. for Y!Mail
                    > > Plus and no ads on any Yahoo! page.

                  • Simmie
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 5, 2008
                      Well from what I heard on this morning's news, there's already one stockholder lawsuit against Y!, as some of the stockholders feel that Y! is holding out for too much $$.

                      It should be interesting.

                      Simmie