breaking news

  • Kurt Norris
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3 6:02 PM
      Microsoft walks away from the yahoo deal.

    • too_much green_tea
      Message 2 of 11 , May 3 6:18 PM
        And no proxy fight ...
        http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/04/technology/04soft.html

        Microsoft walks away from the yahoo deal.

      • Ryan Lee
        Message 3 of 11 , May 4 1:21 AM
          Yeah shocking considering just yesterday people were reporting that the deal was near closing.

          Microsoft walks away from the yahoo deal.

        • Sasafrass
          Message 4 of 11 , May 4 4:48 AM
            For now, at least.... I'll bet they come back in a couple months with another offer that'll be harder for Yahoo to refuse.

            Kurt Norris wrote:
            Microsoft walks away from the yahoo deal.

          • Mark
            Message 5 of 11 , May 4 5:35 AM

              Exactly. This is playing out exactly as I anticipated (as previously posted). I would like to think MS is done with Yahoo, IMO it is the smartest thing MS could do. But even if it is over, Yahoo! now has even bigger problems to face than it did prior to the bid; starting with the inevitable stock crash on Monday morning.

              It will not take long for stockholders, many of whom also hold MS stock, to put the board's collective necks on the chopping block. Unless evidence of a turnaround or alternative plan emerges, things will get ugly for Yahoo! in a big hurry. Outsourcing some search to Google was a horrible tactic that may have helped thwart this bid, but what does it say about the future of Yahoo!? It was a shortsighted tactic (IMO). I suspect the only reason MS decided not to go "hostile" due to the poison pill tactics that were going to be invoked had they done so.

              I will be shocked if MS is not back with another offer in a couple of months, expect more lawsuits against the board as stockholders watch their equity disappear in the coming days/weeks. I'm not looking forward to it.

              > For now, at least.... I'll bet they come back in a couple months with
              > another offer that'll be harder for Yahoo to refuse.
              >
              > Kurt Norris wrote:
              > > Microsoft walks away from the yahoo deal.

              > > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try
              > > it now.
              > > <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ%20>

            • Frankie Luo
              Message 6 of 11 , May 4 4:46 PM
                I think so, Yahoo's stock will go down Monday, after Yahoo's stock down to a certain level, Microsoft will send another offer.

                Message 7 of 11 , May 4 5:34 PM
                  It will indeed be interesting to see what happens when the stock market opens on Monday.  So sad that folks want to get a big offer for their Yahoo! shares and sell it, not caring what happens to the company itself when Microsoft gets their hands on it and ruins it.  So the stock goes down, Microsoft tries again, the stock goes back up, rinse, repeat.

                  Well, I have my exit strategery still in place should MS get its hands on Yahoo! and mess it up by switching to Microsoft technology.

                  Too bad that Yahoo! doesn't try to make more money off of, say, expanding the Y!Mail Plus program to have more features like .Mac does.  .Mac is way overpriced, IMHO, but I'd pay $60/yr. to Yahoo! to get all those features, with the exception of remote computer access.  Or charge me $35/yr. for Y!Mail Plus and no ads on any Yahoo! page.
                • Sasafrass
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 5 7:27 AM
                    It does seem likely that M$ will make another offer, & if the deal happens, I'll be moving to Google. I'm ready, whether it's a week, a month, or year from now, my Gmail account is waiting....

                    Lloyd Haskins wrote:
                    It will indeed be interesting to see what happens when the stock market opens on Monday.  So sad that folks want to get a big offer for their Yahoo! shares and sell it, not caring what happens to the company itself when Microsoft gets their hands on it and ruins it.  So the stock goes down, Microsoft tries again, the stock goes back up, rinse, repeat.

                    Well, I have my exit strategery still in place should MS get its hands on Yahoo! and mess it up by switching to Microsoft technology.

                    Too bad that Yahoo! doesn't try to make more money off of, say, expanding the Y!Mail Plus program to have more features like .Mac does.  .Mac is way overpriced, IMHO, but I'd pay $60/yr. to Yahoo! to get all those features, with the exception of remote computer access.  Or charge me $35/yr. for Y!Mail Plus and no ads on any Yahoo! page.
                  • daynelloconor
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 5 3:43 PM
                      If M$ does take over, what will happen? Won't everything still run the
                      same?

                      > It does seem likely that M$ will make another offer, & if the deal
                      > happens, I'll be moving to Google. I'm ready, whether it's a week, a
                      > month, or year from now, my Gmail account is waiting....
                      >
                      > Lloyd Haskins wrote:
                      > > It will indeed be interesting to see what happens when the stock
                      > > market opens on Monday. So sad that folks want to get a big offer
                      for
                      > > their Yahoo! shares and sell it, not caring what happens to the
                      > > company itself when Microsoft gets their hands on it and ruins it.
                      So
                      > > the stock goes down, Microsoft tries again, the stock goes back up,
                      > > rinse, repeat.
                      > >
                      > > Well, I have my exit strategery still in place should MS get its
                      hands
                      > > on Yahoo! and mess it up by switching to Microsoft technology.
                      > >
                      > > Too bad that Yahoo! doesn't try to make more money off of, say,
                      > > expanding the Y!Mail Plus program to have more features like .Mac
                      > > <http://www.apple.com/dotmac/> does. .Mac is way overpriced, IMHO,
                      > > but I'd pay $60/yr. to Yahoo! to get all those features, with the
                      > > exception of remote computer access. Or charge me $35/yr. for Y!Mail
                      > > Plus and no ads on any Yahoo! page.

                    • Simmie
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 5 4:45 PM
                        Well from what I heard on this morning's news, there's already one stockholder lawsuit against Y!, as some of the stockholders feel that Y! is holding out for too much $$.

                        It should be interesting.

                        Simmie