Re: The new thumbnail attached pictures SUCK

  • Jay
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2008
      NO, not at all my problem. In the one email, it shows 5 thumbnail
      holders, but only one of the 5 displays a thumbnail ( all .jpg). When
      I click "show slideshow" all the photos are there and display as they
      should in the slideshow. My beef is that the thumbnails of the 4
      photos don't show, only "broken/missing" holders show up. Having the
      thumbnails display helps me decide if I should bother with looking at
      the slideshow. As it is now, I have to look at every slideshow, which
      has to be a drain my the Yahoo mail server as well as making me think
      it's time to think about using some kind of other email. Thumbnails
      like these are the reason I use Yahoo over Google mail.

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan" <ymailblog1@...> wrote:

      > Jay,
      >
      > There is a difference between inline images and attachments. Inline
      images are those linked
      > to an external image (url) or images embedded in the body of a
      message; i.e. in Outlook you
      > copy and paste an image to the body of the message. Attachments are
      files uploaded and
      > added to the message but they are not part of the body.
      >
      > The new feature shows the thumbnails only for the attachments; not
      for the inline images
      > because the image was previously shown as part of the message body.
      Same thing for the
      > image viewer. You are able to download the inline images as an
      attachment from the
      > message header but they can't be viewed in the image viewer.
      Probably thats the reason why
      > you see a bigger number of attachments in the header but only a
      couple of thumbnails.

      > Ryan
      > Community Manager
      > Yahoo! Mail

    • Jay
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2008
        The images not displaying for me are all jpg, so that is not the issue
        here for me.

        > Thanks for clearing that up Ryan. Good to know.
        > Gabriel

      • Kenneth Ayers
        Message 3 of 15 , May 2, 2008

          I think someone explained already that the thumbnails that are displayed are for photos that are attachments to the email whereas the thumbnails that are not displayed are for photos that are inline images, i.e., in the body of the email.

          Is that turning out not to be the case?

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, G Pollara <gpollara@.. .> wrote:

          > Thanks for clearing that up Ryan. Good to know.
          > Gabriel

        • Jay
          Message 4 of 15 , May 2, 2008
            Funny thing, after complaining in this group, my problem fixed itself
            like magic, all the thumbnails in all emails display. So it seems
            Yahoo fixed it's problem (well at least that one).

            Thought it only fair to report the problem corrected.

            BTW, I liked it better before the so called "update"...

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Ayers <justkenneth@...> wrote:

            > I think someone explained already that the thumbnails that are
            displayed are for photos that are attachments to the email whereas
            the thumbnails that are not displayed are for photos that are inline
            images, i.e., in the body of the email.
            > Is that turning out not to be the case?

          • Jay
            Message 5 of 15 , May 4, 2008
              I gave credit to quickly to Yahoo, the problem with my thumbnails is
              not only back, it's worse today (Sunday). In many emails, NONE of the
              thumbnails display a picture, all I see are broken pic placeholders.
              Yes all the pictures are .jpg, format, yes if I click "display
              slideshow" all the pictures display in the slideshow.