Re: The new thumbnail attached pictures SUCK

  • Jay
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1 4:56 PM
      I have had emails with only one attachment and the thumbnail doesn't
      display, so that is not the problem.

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Simmie <simmiejoyz@...> wrote:

      > I've seen this on other email sites -- if you have beyond what
      *they* want to display in thumbnails, the rest you have to download to
      view. I never did understand that thinking.

      > Simmie

    • Jay
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1 5:19 PM
        NO, not at all my problem. In the one email, it shows 5 thumbnail
        holders, but only one of the 5 displays a thumbnail ( all .jpg). When
        I click "show slideshow" all the photos are there and display as they
        should in the slideshow. My beef is that the thumbnails of the 4
        photos don't show, only "broken/missing" holders show up. Having the
        thumbnails display helps me decide if I should bother with looking at
        the slideshow. As it is now, I have to look at every slideshow, which
        has to be a drain my the Yahoo mail server as well as making me think
        it's time to think about using some kind of other email. Thumbnails
        like these are the reason I use Yahoo over Google mail.

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan" <ymailblog1@...> wrote:

        > Jay,
        >
        > There is a difference between inline images and attachments. Inline
        images are those linked
        > to an external image (url) or images embedded in the body of a
        message; i.e. in Outlook you
        > copy and paste an image to the body of the message. Attachments are
        files uploaded and
        > added to the message but they are not part of the body.
        >
        > The new feature shows the thumbnails only for the attachments; not
        for the inline images
        > because the image was previously shown as part of the message body.
        Same thing for the
        > image viewer. You are able to download the inline images as an
        attachment from the
        > message header but they can't be viewed in the image viewer.
        Probably thats the reason why
        > you see a bigger number of attachments in the header but only a
        couple of thumbnails.

        > Ryan
        > Community Manager
        > Yahoo! Mail

      • Jay
        Message 3 of 15 , May 1 5:21 PM
          The images not displaying for me are all jpg, so that is not the issue
          here for me.

          > Thanks for clearing that up Ryan. Good to know.
          > Gabriel

        • Kenneth Ayers
          Message 4 of 15 , May 2 7:04 AM

            I think someone explained already that the thumbnails that are displayed are for photos that are attachments to the email whereas the thumbnails that are not displayed are for photos that are inline images, i.e., in the body of the email.

            Is that turning out not to be the case?

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, G Pollara <gpollara@.. .> wrote:

            > Thanks for clearing that up Ryan. Good to know.
            > Gabriel

          • Jay
            Message 5 of 15 , May 2 7:48 PM
              Funny thing, after complaining in this group, my problem fixed itself
              like magic, all the thumbnails in all emails display. So it seems
              Yahoo fixed it's problem (well at least that one).

              Thought it only fair to report the problem corrected.

              BTW, I liked it better before the so called "update"...

              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Ayers <justkenneth@...> wrote:

              > I think someone explained already that the thumbnails that are
              displayed are for photos that are attachments to the email whereas
              the thumbnails that are not displayed are for photos that are inline
              images, i.e., in the body of the email.
              > Is that turning out not to be the case?

            • Jay
              Message 6 of 15 , May 4 7:49 PM
                I gave credit to quickly to Yahoo, the problem with my thumbnails is
                not only back, it's worse today (Sunday). In many emails, NONE of the
                thumbnails display a picture, all I see are broken pic placeholders.
                Yes all the pictures are .jpg, format, yes if I click "display
                slideshow" all the pictures display in the slideshow.