Re: The new thumbnail attached pictures SUCK

  • Jay
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2008
      My connection is not the problem, I can let the email sit for minutes
      and the thumbnails never display. I am on a high speed Comcast conneciton.

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Mario Sergio

      > Here everything is alright, did you check your Internet connection?
      >

      > If your page is still loading and and then suddenly you click
      somewhere else inside that page, sometimes -it depends the browser
      you're using- your browser stops loading that page...

      > "I just loved that latest patch we received weeks ago... Well
      congrats folks!"
      > Um abra├žo,
      > Mario Sergio.

    • Jay
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2008
        I have had emails with only one attachment and the thumbnail doesn't
        display, so that is not the problem.

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Simmie <simmiejoyz@...> wrote:

        > I've seen this on other email sites -- if you have beyond what
        *they* want to display in thumbnails, the rest you have to download to
        view. I never did understand that thinking.

        > Simmie

      • Jay
        Message 3 of 15 , May 1, 2008
          Ryan,
          I am looking at one email at the moment, it has 5 attached .jpg
          photos, only the first one displays a thumbnail. ( BTW they are all
          photos of the same person in a set, so pretty identical size etc. and
          the reference email has been open for about 5 minutes, so it's not, as
          someone suggested a download timing issue either)

          A few things about my system etc., AMD dual core, 2 gigs of ram,
          GeForce 8400 256mb ram PCIe video card on a Comcast 6mb cable
          connection. So this is not caused by me having a slow system...Oh yea,
          I thought at first it might be a Firefox issue, so I went and looked
          at my email in IE as well, same story there.

          Am I the only one having this issue?

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan" <ymailblog1@...> wrote:

          > All images should be working, except for tiff and bmp files that
          only work in Safari.

          > IE and Firefox do not render BMP or TIFF files directly.
          >
          > Let us know if you have images that are not being displayed.
          >
          > Ryan
          > Community Manager
          > Yahoo! Mail

        • Jay
          Message 4 of 15 , May 1, 2008
            NO, not at all my problem. In the one email, it shows 5 thumbnail
            holders, but only one of the 5 displays a thumbnail ( all .jpg). When
            I click "show slideshow" all the photos are there and display as they
            should in the slideshow. My beef is that the thumbnails of the 4
            photos don't show, only "broken/missing" holders show up. Having the
            thumbnails display helps me decide if I should bother with looking at
            the slideshow. As it is now, I have to look at every slideshow, which
            has to be a drain my the Yahoo mail server as well as making me think
            it's time to think about using some kind of other email. Thumbnails
            like these are the reason I use Yahoo over Google mail.

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan" <ymailblog1@...> wrote:

            > Jay,
            >
            > There is a difference between inline images and attachments. Inline
            images are those linked
            > to an external image (url) or images embedded in the body of a
            message; i.e. in Outlook you
            > copy and paste an image to the body of the message. Attachments are
            files uploaded and
            > added to the message but they are not part of the body.
            >
            > The new feature shows the thumbnails only for the attachments; not
            for the inline images
            > because the image was previously shown as part of the message body.
            Same thing for the
            > image viewer. You are able to download the inline images as an
            attachment from the
            > message header but they can't be viewed in the image viewer.
            Probably thats the reason why
            > you see a bigger number of attachments in the header but only a
            couple of thumbnails.

            > Ryan
            > Community Manager
            > Yahoo! Mail

          • Jay
            Message 5 of 15 , May 1, 2008
              The images not displaying for me are all jpg, so that is not the issue
              here for me.

              > Thanks for clearing that up Ryan. Good to know.
              > Gabriel

            • Kenneth Ayers
              Message 6 of 15 , May 2, 2008

                I think someone explained already that the thumbnails that are displayed are for photos that are attachments to the email whereas the thumbnails that are not displayed are for photos that are inline images, i.e., in the body of the email.

                Is that turning out not to be the case?

                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, G Pollara <gpollara@.. .> wrote:

                > Thanks for clearing that up Ryan. Good to know.
                > Gabriel

              • Jay
                Message 7 of 15 , May 2, 2008
                  Funny thing, after complaining in this group, my problem fixed itself
                  like magic, all the thumbnails in all emails display. So it seems
                  Yahoo fixed it's problem (well at least that one).

                  Thought it only fair to report the problem corrected.

                  BTW, I liked it better before the so called "update"...

                  --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Ayers <justkenneth@...> wrote:

                  > I think someone explained already that the thumbnails that are
                  displayed are for photos that are attachments to the email whereas
                  the thumbnails that are not displayed are for photos that are inline
                  images, i.e., in the body of the email.
                  > Is that turning out not to be the case?

                • Jay
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 4, 2008
                    I gave credit to quickly to Yahoo, the problem with my thumbnails is
                    not only back, it's worse today (Sunday). In many emails, NONE of the
                    thumbnails display a picture, all I see are broken pic placeholders.
                    Yes all the pictures are .jpg, format, yes if I click "display
                    slideshow" all the pictures display in the slideshow.