Re: Options Missing in New Yahoo! Mail Classic

  • Ryan
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2008
      As part of the effort to streamline Classic, some fat had to be trimmed. We removed some
      options that our reports showed were essentially rarely (and in almost all cases never)
      adjusted by users. Unfortunately it looks like you are one of those users.

      Can you share with me some detail about which Option(s) you specifically used, and how this
      is impacting you (besides the "ask before emptying spam" one you mentioned)? I'd like to
      share that with Product so it can be factored in on future changes.

      -Ryan
    • Mark
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2008

        Referring to the old options, I can see how many of the Messages options are now redundant, covered under spam filtering rules.

        The missing section on Message Actions, I miss almost all of them. Especially annoying is that I am always prompted about deleting spam now and I cannot get rid of that annoying confirmation dialog. And I can't decide how I want to handle forwarded or replied-to content. (Are those options hiding somewhere else?)

        Really... about all I need the web mail for is to check and manage false positives in spam and occasionally check for or send large attachments. That annoying pop-up just drives me crazy.  I'd also like to see this New Y!Mail Classic stop presenting/advertising to me like I don't have Mail Plus.  It's got stuff all over, including links about and directly to an upgrade to Y!Mail+, but I AM already using Y!Mail+!

        In another development today, I tried the NEW Yahoo Mail interface (and still don't care for it), and noticed that it completely ignored any connection to my Y!Domains, Stateline.Net address. It's not there and it's not listed. So... unless I'm on Y!Mail Classic, I can't see the Stateline.Net web-based mail page at all.  Very strange.

        Thanks,

        Mark

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan" <ymailblog1@...> wrote:

        > As part of the effort to streamline Classic, some fat had to be trimmed. We removed some
        > options that our reports showed were essentially rarely (and in almost all cases never)
        > adjusted by users. Unfortunately it looks like you are one of those users.
        >
        > Can you share with me some detail about which Option(s) you specifically used, and how this
        > is impacting you (besides the "ask before emptying spam" one you mentioned)? I'd like to
        > share that with Product so it can be factored in on future changes.
        >
        > -Ryan

      • Mark
        Message 3 of 15 , May 2, 2008
          Following up on this "disconnect" between what I see in my domain address and what I see in the Y!Mail Plus screens on same login. First of all, let me change the jargon - it is properly called Yahoo Small Business, not Yahoo! Domains.

          Here's a screen shot with notes:
          http://geocities.com/mark_e_p/stuff/ymail_classic_2views.jpg

          You will notice the section "Mail Accounts" in left column, showing both Y!Mail and Y!Small Business addresses are part of this same login.

          What's significant is when I switch to the New Y!Yahoo Mail view via link in upper left of my Mail+ account, the Small Business address just disappears and doesn't reappear unless I switch back to Yahoo Mail Classic.

          As mentioned in the notes in the screen shot, I'd suggest looking into making the Small Business domain login separate from the Yahoo Mail login, setting it up like it was until the changes made in January to Yahoo Small Business Domain service.

          Oh yeah, and I'd really like the option to ditch the annoying News Section in my Inbox. I have a My Yahoo page for that stuff, and don't need or want such things cluttering up my inbox.

          Thanks,

          Mark

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <mark@...> wrote:

          > In another development today, I tried the NEW Yahoo Mail interface (and
          > still don't care for it), and noticed that it completely ignored any
          > connection to my Y!Domains, Stateline.Net address. It's not there and
          > it's not listed. So... unless I'm on Y!Mail Classic, I can't see the
          > Stateline.Net web-based mail page at all. Very strange.
          >

          > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan" ymailblog1@ wrote:
          > >
          > > As part of the effort to streamline Classic, some fat had to be
          > > trimmed. We removed some
          > > options that our reports showed were essentially rarely (and in almost
          > > all cases never)
          > > adjusted by users. Unfortunately it looks like you are one of those
          > > users.
          > >
          > > Can you share with me some detail about which Option(s) you
          > > specifically used, and how this
          > > is impacting you (besides the "ask before emptying spam" one you
          > > mentioned)? I'd like to
          > > share that with Product so it can be factored in on future changes.
          > >
          > > -Ryan

        • Michael Taylor-Judd
          Message 4 of 15 , May 5, 2008
            Is this a good time for a reminder to folks that this is a USER group, and not an avenue to reach Tech Support?

            We are given access to Ryan, the Y-Mail team's outreach guy, but he does have other duties that occasionally take him away from us for brief periods of time. (Thanks for all of the hard work, Ryan!)

            The rest of us do our best to respond... but also keep in mind that just because one or more users are encountering a bug or connection issue, that the rest of us might not be.

            Michael  :-)

              Message 6 of 15 , May 5, 2008

                ....or maybe change the description to reflect "users helping users"...?

                Simmie

                Yes, I think many people forget that sometimes. Especially that infamous "error code 1" message people keep posting, saying "Dear Yahoo Mail Team".... as if that was us! I've had to delete those messages, because not only would it annoy many of us, it also would fall on deaf ears(or blind eyes?.... except maybe Ryan's). Even I was mistaken for a Yahoo employee, after becoming the group's co-owner! Recently, I've had to hand out Ryan's email address several times, because the issues people are having just can't be resolved by posting here. The problem stems from the fact that this group is regarded as the official group for help with Yahoo Mail, so people tend to think it's run by Yahoo employees. Maybe I should put a disclaimer on the homepage?

              • Cindy Cozad-Rudinger
                Message 7 of 15 , May 5, 2008
                  I think that sounds like a good idea. cheers, Cindy

                  --- Sasafrass <sasafrass452@...> wrote:
                  [snip]
                  > The problem stems from the fact that this group is
                  > regarded as the official group for help with Yahoo
                  Mail,
                  > so people tend to think it's run by Yahoo employees.

                  > Maybe I should put a disclaimer on the homepage?

                  ...Melanie & Reka...
                  With dog, all things are possible!

                  Be a better friend, newshound, and