New Yahoo! Mail Classic

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 20, 2008
      I was introduced to the new Yahoo Mail Classic (see "What's New?" page) sometime in the past week.

      During the course of using it, I immediately noticed I was prompted to confirm emptying of the spam folder ever time I did so - how annoying.  As I'd only recently changed this setting on my other mail login, I figured I'd "lost" the preference during the change and headed into the Mail Options - General preferences - page to turn it off, only to discover that many, many options were now missing from that page.

      I have a somewhat unusual Y!Mail setup in that I have a Y!Domain service address associated with my regular Yahoo login.  In January, Y!Domains moved our mail services to connect with our Yahoo login' Y!Mail service. That was a reasonably  elegant solution to upgrading the old (now-spammed into oblivion) Y!Domains Mail service! (My domain's mail had been mostly unresponsive since April of '07 due to servers being busy with spam.)

      What that means is that my Y!Domains mail is still running the Classic Y!Mail interface and my regular Y!Mail is NEW Classic interface, so I can view old and new side by side.  Today, while sending feedback on my impressions of the new Mail Classic, I took a screen shot comparing the two versions.  You can view it here, at this link, or see it attached in this message below:

      http://www.geocities.com/mark_e_p/stuff/ymail_classic_old_vs_new.jpg

      Mail - General Options - Classic vs. New

      You will note in the screen shot above that the old Y!Mail Classic has many, many more options than the NEW Y!Mail Classic.  What happened here? Where'd they go? Why?

      Is this just one more attempt to force change to the new Beta Mail system? I really don't like the New Y!Mail Beta stuff, and prefer staying with Y!Mail classic. (I have mail clients to use if I want my mail to work and look like the Beta stuff.)

      Mark

    • Mark
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 22, 2008
        OK... bump here.

        I noticed again, today, when checking spam filtering in the New Y!Mail
        Classic there are a bunch of spam filtering options missing.

        I also forgot to mention in the earlier that I have Y!Mail PLUS, not
        just the free Y!Mail. (As well as a domain address associated with
        this login (the one in this post).)

        SO... once more... Anyone have any idea what happened to these options
        (see screen shot) or any idea when they'll get fixed (or not)?

        http://geocities.com/mark_e_p/stuff/ymail_classic_old_vs_new.jpg

        Thanks,

        Mark
        --
        http://www.stateline.net/

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" wrote:

        > I was introduced to the new Yahoo Mail Classic (see "What's New?" page
        > <http://new.mail.yahoo.com/classic> ) sometime in the last week.
        >
        > During the course of using it, I immediately noticed I was prompted to
        > confirm emptying of the spam folder ever time I did so.
        > As I'd only recently changed this setting on my other mail login, I
        > figured I'd "lost" the preference during the change and headed into the
        > Mail Options - General preferences - page to turn it off, only to
        > discover that many, many options were now missing from that page.
        >

        > I took a screen shot comparing the
        > two versions. You can view it at this link, or see it attached in
        > this message below:
        >
        > http://geocities.com/mark_e_p/stuff/ymail_classic_old_vs_new.jpg
        >
        > [Mail - General Options - Classic vs. New]
        >

        > You will note in the screen shot above that the old Y!Mail Classic has
        > many, many more options than the NEW Y!Mail Classic. What happened
        > here? Where'd they go? Why?

      • travllr
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 22, 2008
          Weird, I have PLUS CLASSIC and I have the expanded options.
          Definitely better get some answers on this.

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <mark@...> wrote:

          > OK... bump here.
          >
          > I noticed again, today, when checking spam filtering in the New Y!
          Mail
          > Classic there are a bunch of spam filtering options missing.
          >
          > I also forgot to mention in the earlier that I have Y!Mail PLUS, not
          > just the free Y!Mail. (As well as a domain address associated with
          > this login (the one in this post).)
          >
          > SO... once more... Anyone have any idea what happened to these
          options
          > (see screen shot) or any idea when they'll get fixed (or not)?
          >
          > http://geocities.com/mark_e_p/stuff/ymail_classic_old_vs_new.jpg
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Mark
          > --
          > http://www.stateline.net/
          >

          > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" wrote:
          > >
          > > I was introduced to the new Yahoo Mail Classic (see "What's New?"
          page
          > > <http://new.mail.yahoo.com/classic> ) sometime in the last week.
          > >
          > > During the course of using it, I immediately noticed I was
          prompted to
          > > confirm emptying of the spam folder ever time I did so.
          > > As I'd only recently changed this setting on my other mail login,
          > > figured I'd "lost" the preference during the change and headed
          into the
          > > Mail Options - General preferences - page to turn it off, only to
          > > discover that many, many options were now missing from that page.
          > >

          > > I took a screen shot comparing the
          > > two versions. You can view it at this link, or see it attached in
          > > this message below:
          > >
          > > http://geocities.com/mark_e_p/stuff/ymail_classic_old_vs_new.jpg
          > >
          > > [Mail - General Options - Classic vs. New]
          > >

          > > You will note in the screen shot above that the old Y!Mail
          Classic has
          > > many, many more options than the NEW Y!Mail Classic. What
          happened
          > > here? Where'd they go? Why?

        • Mark
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008
            Another bump...

            Another week and no reply to requests for explanation or help or anything.

            Missing Options in Y!Mail Classic Mail Options - General Preferences
            page are still missing.

            Will this be corrected when the roll out is done rolling? Are we
            supposed to just grin and accept this as progress of a sort? Are we
            expected to convert to the ever-present, never more than Beta, Y!Mail
            Beta thing?

            A reply - any reply - would be appreciated.

            Screen shot here:

            http://geocities.com/mark_e_p/stuff/ymail_classic_old_vs_new.jpg

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" wrote:

            > I was introduced to the new Yahoo Mail Classic (see "What's New?" page
            > <http://new.mail.yahoo.com/classic> ) sometime in the past week.
            >
            > During the course of using it, I immediately noticed I was prompted to
            > confirm emptying of the spam folder ever time I did so - how annoying.
            > As I'd only recently changed this setting on my other mail login, I
            > figured I'd "lost" the preference during the change and headed into the
            > Mail Options - General preferences - page to turn it off, only to
            > discover that many, many options were now missing from that page.
            >
            > You can view it here, at this link:
            >
            > http://geocities.com/mark_e_p/stuff/ymail_classic_old_vs_new.jpg
            >
            > [Mail - General Options - Classic vs. New]

          • Sasafrass
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008
              Have you tried contacting Ryan? ymailblog1@...

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 30, 2008
                Yes, yes and yes. All avenues have been tried - repeatedly.

                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Sasafrass wrote:

                > Have you tried contacting Ryan? ymailblog1@...
                >
                > Mark wrote:
                > > Another bump...
                > >
                > > Another week and no reply to requests for explanation or help or
                anything.

                > > Screen shot here:
                > >
                > > http://geocities.com/mark_e_p/stuff/ymail_classic_old_vs_new.jpg

              • Ryan
                Message 7 of 15 , May 1, 2008
                  Hi Mark,

                  I didn't see a message from you on this question, but I may have just missed it.

                  Anyway, I'm looking into your question and will get back to you.

                  -Ryan
                • Mark
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 1, 2008
                    Thanks, Ryan.

                    I didn't send you a personal email. I sent it through normal channels
                    (about 4 different feedback forms I found involving Mail Help and
                    Mail+ service), this group, and Y!Mail Blog page.

                    It seems particularly odd. I have logged out, cleared cache, tried
                    IE/FF, and all the tricks I know. My PC is clean - spotless. It's the
                    same no matter what.

                    I am not sure if the association/combo of my Y!Domain service's
                    address (my stateline.net address) with my Mail+ (my yahoo.com
                    address) has anything to do with this. My AT&T login and this account
                    are NOT (and have never been) merged. I am running NO AT&T slopware on
                    this PC, either.

                    If this were a common problem, I'd expect you'd be hearing a lot more
                    complaints than mine.

                    I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

                    I haven't seen glitches like this since we compiled our own customized
                    BBS software back in the early 90's.

                    Mark
                    --
                    http://stateline.net/

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 1, 2008
                      As part of the effort to streamline Classic, some fat had to be trimmed. We removed some
                      options that our reports showed were essentially rarely (and in almost all cases never)
                      adjusted by users. Unfortunately it looks like you are one of those users.

                      Can you share with me some detail about which Option(s) you specifically used, and how this
                      is impacting you (besides the "ask before emptying spam" one you mentioned)? I'd like to
                      share that with Product so it can be factored in on future changes.

                      -Ryan
                    • Mark
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 1, 2008

                        Referring to the old options, I can see how many of the Messages options are now redundant, covered under spam filtering rules.

                        The missing section on Message Actions, I miss almost all of them. Especially annoying is that I am always prompted about deleting spam now and I cannot get rid of that annoying confirmation dialog. And I can't decide how I want to handle forwarded or replied-to content. (Are those options hiding somewhere else?)

                        Really... about all I need the web mail for is to check and manage false positives in spam and occasionally check for or send large attachments. That annoying pop-up just drives me crazy.  I'd also like to see this New Y!Mail Classic stop presenting/advertising to me like I don't have Mail Plus.  It's got stuff all over, including links about and directly to an upgrade to Y!Mail+, but I AM already using Y!Mail+!

                        In another development today, I tried the NEW Yahoo Mail interface (and still don't care for it), and noticed that it completely ignored any connection to my Y!Domains, Stateline.Net address. It's not there and it's not listed. So... unless I'm on Y!Mail Classic, I can't see the Stateline.Net web-based mail page at all.  Very strange.

                        Thanks,

                        Mark

                        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan" <ymailblog1@...> wrote:

                        > As part of the effort to streamline Classic, some fat had to be trimmed. We removed some
                        > options that our reports showed were essentially rarely (and in almost all cases never)
                        > adjusted by users. Unfortunately it looks like you are one of those users.
                        >
                        > Can you share with me some detail about which Option(s) you specifically used, and how this
                        > is impacting you (besides the "ask before emptying spam" one you mentioned)? I'd like to
                        > share that with Product so it can be factored in on future changes.
                        >
                        > -Ryan

                      • Mark
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 2, 2008
                          Following up on this "disconnect" between what I see in my domain address and what I see in the Y!Mail Plus screens on same login. First of all, let me change the jargon - it is properly called Yahoo Small Business, not Yahoo! Domains.

                          Here's a screen shot with notes:
                          http://geocities.com/mark_e_p/stuff/ymail_classic_2views.jpg

                          You will notice the section "Mail Accounts" in left column, showing both Y!Mail and Y!Small Business addresses are part of this same login.

                          What's significant is when I switch to the New Y!Yahoo Mail view via link in upper left of my Mail+ account, the Small Business address just disappears and doesn't reappear unless I switch back to Yahoo Mail Classic.

                          As mentioned in the notes in the screen shot, I'd suggest looking into making the Small Business domain login separate from the Yahoo Mail login, setting it up like it was until the changes made in January to Yahoo Small Business Domain service.

                          Oh yeah, and I'd really like the option to ditch the annoying News Section in my Inbox. I have a My Yahoo page for that stuff, and don't need or want such things cluttering up my inbox.

                          Thanks,

                          Mark

                          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <mark@...> wrote:

                          > In another development today, I tried the NEW Yahoo Mail interface (and
                          > still don't care for it), and noticed that it completely ignored any
                          > connection to my Y!Domains, Stateline.Net address. It's not there and
                          > it's not listed. So... unless I'm on Y!Mail Classic, I can't see the
                          > Stateline.Net web-based mail page at all. Very strange.
                          >

                          > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan" ymailblog1@ wrote:
                          > >
                          > > As part of the effort to streamline Classic, some fat had to be
                          > > trimmed. We removed some
                          > > options that our reports showed were essentially rarely (and in almost
                          > > all cases never)
                          > > adjusted by users. Unfortunately it looks like you are one of those
                          > > users.
                          > >
                          > > Can you share with me some detail about which Option(s) you
                          > > specifically used, and how this
                          > > is impacting you (besides the "ask before emptying spam" one you
                          > > mentioned)? I'd like to
                          > > share that with Product so it can be factored in on future changes.
                          > >
                          > > -Ryan

                        • Michael Taylor-Judd
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 5, 2008
                            Is this a good time for a reminder to folks that this is a USER group, and not an avenue to reach Tech Support?

                            We are given access to Ryan, the Y-Mail team's outreach guy, but he does have other duties that occasionally take him away from us for brief periods of time. (Thanks for all of the hard work, Ryan!)

                            The rest of us do our best to respond... but also keep in mind that just because one or more users are encountering a bug or connection issue, that the rest of us might not be.

                            Michael  :-)

                              Message 14 of 15 , May 5, 2008

                                ....or maybe change the description to reflect "users helping users"...?

                                Simmie

                                Yes, I think many people forget that sometimes. Especially that infamous "error code 1" message people keep posting, saying "Dear Yahoo Mail Team".... as if that was us! I've had to delete those messages, because not only would it annoy many of us, it also would fall on deaf ears(or blind eyes?.... except maybe Ryan's). Even I was mistaken for a Yahoo employee, after becoming the group's co-owner! Recently, I've had to hand out Ryan's email address several times, because the issues people are having just can't be resolved by posting here. The problem stems from the fact that this group is regarded as the official group for help with Yahoo Mail, so people tend to think it's run by Yahoo employees. Maybe I should put a disclaimer on the homepage?

                              • Cindy Cozad-Rudinger
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 5, 2008
                                  I think that sounds like a good idea. cheers, Cindy

                                  --- Sasafrass <sasafrass452@...> wrote:
                                  [snip]
                                  > The problem stems from the fact that this group is
                                  > regarded as the official group for help with Yahoo
                                  Mail,
                                  > so people tend to think it's run by Yahoo employees.

                                  > Maybe I should put a disclaimer on the homepage?

                                  ...Melanie & Reka...
                                  With dog, all things are possible!

                                  Be a better friend, newshound, and