Ths sounds a bit strange...

  • Mike B
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 27 7:05 PM
      My wife received the following email purportedly from Yahoo Profiles.
      It just sounded a bit off, and the addresses that it would return to
      sounded wrong. Does Yahoo Profiles really send out emails like this
      one? (Note I have deleted her Yahoo ID...
      Can anyone tell me if this is a legitimate Yahoo email?

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 28 4:23 AM
        Assuming the URLs that you included are the actual ones that were in the
        email (and not actually pointing elsewhere when you click on them), I'd say
        it's legit.

        Steve

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 28 5:55 AM
          Forward the email to abuse@... and include the full headers in the message.  They will be able to tell you if it's real or not.  I just had an email that supposedly came from Yahoo, but when you look at the full headers...there was an address listed that wasn't Yahoo.  The abuse team got right back to me and told me it was fake.  This is probably your best bet...

          Cheers,
          Tai

          “You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.”

          ~ Jack London, American Author (1876-1916)

          ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 28 6:14 AM
            Hmm, that does sound odd.... But if you've already deleted the ID, I
            wouldn't worry about it. Not sure what to make of it, though....

            Mike B wrote:
            > My wife received the following email purportedly from Yahoo Profiles.
            > It just sounded a bit off, and the addresses that it would return to
            > sounded wrong. Does Yahoo Profiles really send out emails like this
            > one? (Note I have deleted her Yahoo ID...
            > Can anyone tell me if this is a legitimate Yahoo email?

          • Simmie
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 28 8:32 AM
              It's on the up-and-up. This is being discussed "up the wazoo" on most of the list moderator groups @ Yahoogroups.

              Jami who works for Yahoo posted about this to the blog, which basically say's it IS from them and true.  Here's a link:

              Simmie
              "listowners/mods helping listowners/mods for the last ten years!"

              Mike B <psybok@...> wrote:
[...]

            • Michael Taylor-Judd
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 3, 2008
                Whenever you have questions about an e-mail like this -- be it from Yahoo, Google, eBay, Amazon, your bank, your loan company, etc. -- the BEST COURSE OF ACTION is to open the account webpage yourself by typing the address into a window, and verify changes, your password, etc.

                NEVER click links in a suspicious e-mail.

                And I find nowadays that almost no company makes changes to your account without also posting some sort of notice or message about it in their Accounts area.

                Thanks,

                Michael 8-)

                "One of the interesting things about this experience argument is that it's often posed as just a function of longevity. You know, 'I've been here longer.' Well, you know there are a lot of companies that have been around longer than Google... but Google's performing." --Barack Obama, speaking on CBS's "60 Minutes" (2/8/2008)

                Mike B wrote:

                > My wife received the following email purportedly from Yahoo Profiles.
                > It just sounded a bit off, and the addresses that it would return to
                > sounded wrong. Does Yahoo Profiles really send out emails like this
                > one? (Note I have deleted her Yahoo ID...
                > Can anyone tell me if this is a legitimate Yahoo email?

              • too_much green_tea
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 3, 2008
                  Great advice!! :D