Re: [Y-Mail] Latest Yahoo Mail upgrade - NO THANK YOU!!

  • Paula McCartney
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 3, 2008
      I save templates by not putting an email address in the To field and just copy and paste the template into a new email.

      Paula McCartney
      "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."
      2 Timothy 1:7

      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 3, 2008
        Doesn't it seem easier to keep them as a draft? No
        worries about formatting, plus (in my case) you can
        leave certain addresses on the BCC line and they will
        be there every time.

        Copying and pasting (particularly when your text
        includes links) can be a huge problem, format-wise.

        Robin

        --- Paula McCartney <paulabbc@...> wrote:

        > I save templates by not putting an email address in
        > the To field and just copy and paste the template
        > into a new email.
        >
        > Paula McCartney
        > "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of
        > power, and of love, and of a sound mind."
        > 2 Timothy 1:7

        0px;font-weight:bold;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}
        > #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
        > margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
        > -->
        >
        > <!--
        >
        > #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:arial,
        > helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}
        > #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial,
        > helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}
        > #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
        > #ygrp-text{
        > font-family:Georgia;
        > }
        > #ygrp-text p{
        > margin:0 0 1em 0;}
        > #ygrp-tpmsgs{
        > font-family:Arial;
        > clear:both;}
        > #ygrp-vitnav{

        > #ygrp-vitnav a{
        > padding:0 1px;}
        > #ygrp-actbar{
        > clear:both;margin:25px
        > 0;white-space:nowrap;color:#666;text-align:right;}
        > #ygrp-actbar .left{
        > float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
        > .bld{font-weight:bold;}
        > #ygrp-grft{
        > #ygrp-ft{
        > font-family:verdana;font-size:77%;border-top:1px
        > solid #666;
        > padding:5px 0;
        > }
        > #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
        > padding-bottom:10px;}
        >
        > #ygrp-vital{

        background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:2px
        > 0 8px 8px;}
        > #ygrp-vital #vithd{

        > #ygrp-vital ul{
        > padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
        > #ygrp-vital ul li{
        > list-style-type:none;clear:both;border:1px solid
        > #e0ecee;
        > }
        > #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{

        > #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
        > font-weight:bold;}
        > #ygrp-vital a{
        > text-decoration:none;}

        === message truncated ===
      • Ryan
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 4, 2008
          Hi everyone,

          I have some good news for folks who have been saving drafts as templates.  While we decided to remove drafts from the folder as soon as you send them (something that is needed now that we have added auto-save in the latest version of All-New Mail), there is a way to override that and keep the draft after sending.

          Currently users can send a message in two ways:
          • Click 'send' button
          • Ctrl+enter
          In order to keep the message in your Drafts folder, just hold down the shift button for both actions above.
          • Hold shift and then click 'send'
          • Shift+Ctrl+enter
          Hope that helps,
          Ryan
        • Robin Siegel
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 4, 2008
            Thanks Ryan, that's fantastic news. Now if you could
            figure out a way to enable PREVIEW for those Excel
            attachments, I'd be on the road to trying New Mail!

            Robin Siegel

            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 5, 2008
              Thanks Ryan for the information. Seems like a very good and easy compromise.
              Gabriel

              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 5, 2008
                Hi again,

                Glad the information helped. Forgot to explicitly mention that this
                applies only to the All-New Yahoo! Mail, and not to Classic.

                Wanted to make sure that was clear.

                -Ryan
              • Don Ethridge
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 5, 2008
                  Robert,
                  If you have a Gmail account and Google Docs you can open and view MS Office files without a download.  You can also save the file to your Google Docs account without a download.  Wave of the future IMHO. Hope Yahoo will catch up.

                  Don

                  --- Ryan <ymailblog1@yahoo. com> wrote:

                  > Hi everyone,
                  >
                  > I have some good news for folks who have been saving
                  > drafts as
                  > templates. While we decided to remove drafts from
                  > the folder as soon as
                  > you send them (something that is needed now that we
                  > have added auto-save
                  > in the latest version of All-New Mail), there is a
                  > way to override that
                  > and keep the draft after sending.
                  >
                  > Currently users can send a message in two ways:
                  >
                  > * Click 'send' button
                  > * Ctrl+enter
                  > In order to keep the message in your Drafts folder,
                  > just hold down the
                  > shift button for both actions above.
                  >
                  > * Hold shift and then click 'send'
                  > * Shift+Ctrl+enter
                  > Hope that helps,
                  > Ryan

                • S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 5, 2008
                    It's good that there is a solution, but I wouldn't call it a great solution. It's very easy to forget to hold down the Shift button in a case like this, and I bet that a lot of people will forget and end up losing templates. I'd rather see a separate folder for templates and/or interoperability with Notepad.

                    Jay Bienvenu 360.yahoo.com/bienvenunet
                    bienvenunet@... flickr.com/photos/bienvenunet

                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 5, 2008
                      A separate subject, but I agree, I think this is a great function and I've always wished Yahoo would have this. An integration with Zoho, in the same way that Google has with its Docs, would be my dream...

                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 5, 2008
                        what if you change the subject line of your template - does that save it as a different message?

                        ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _______

                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 5, 2008
                          Yahoo will never catch up .

                          Google and Gmail are far ahead .

                          If you have a Gmail account and Google Docs you can open and view MS Office files without a download.  You can also save the file to your Google Docs account without a download.  Wave of the future IMHO. Hope Yahoo will catch up.

                          Don

                          Thanks Ryan, that's fantastic news. Now if you could
                          figure out a way to enable PREVIEW for those Excel
                          attachments, I'd be on the road to trying New Mail!

                          Robin Siegel

                          --- Ryan <ymailblog1@yahoo. com> wrote:

                          > Hi everyone,
                          >
                          > I have some good news for folks who have been saving
                          > drafts as
                          > templates. While we decided to remove drafts from
                          > the folder as soon as
                          > you send them (something that is needed now that we
                          > have added auto-save
                          > in the latest version of All-New Mail), there is a
                          > way to override that
                          > and keep the draft after sending.
                          >
                          > Currently users can send a message in two ways:
                          >
                          > * Click 'send' button
                          > * Ctrl+enter
                          > In order to keep the message in your Drafts folder,
                          > just hold down the
                          > shift button for both actions above.
                          >
                          > * Hold shift and then click 'send'
                          > * Shift+Ctrl+enter
                          > Hope that helps,
                          > Ryan

                        • Robin Siegel
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 7, 2008
                            Evidently not. I just tried it.

                            --- G Pollara <gpollara@...> wrote:

                            > what if you change the subject line of your template
                            > - does that save it as a different message?

                          • Michael Taylor-Judd
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 3, 2008
                              I'd point out once again that this is a feature that operates in Outlook, and while I suppose that's great if you're trying to capture Outlook users for Y-Mail, I'd love to see evidence of the polls or focus groups that suggested we'd all prefer a more Outlook-like user interface for Y-Mail. *SIGH*

                              Thanks,

                              Michael 8-)

                              "One of the interesting things about this experience argument is that it's often posed as just a function of longevity. You know, 'I've been here longer.' Well, you know there are a lot of companies that have been around longer than Google... but Google's performing." --Barack Obama, speaking on CBS's "60 Minutes" (2/8/2008)