Re: [Y-Mail] Re: Latest Yahoo Mail upgrade - thank you very much

    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 29, 2008
      Yep - new yahoo mail

      ----- Original Message ----
      From: blessedwitch3 <blessedwitch3@...>
      To: Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, 29 February, 2008 5:58:15 PM
      Subject: [Y-Mail] Re: Latest Yahoo Mail upgrade - thank you very much

      Are you using the new yahoo mail? and does this not apply to yahoo classic?

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, G Pollara <gpollara@...> wrote:

      > Just re-read my own post - thought I'd clarify that the great feature is that Y Mail now auto saves your email in the draft folder every 2 minutes or so whilst you're composing it (and tells you the time this happened)
      > Sorry, not sure I made it entirely clear.

    • S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 3, 2008
        I used to use saved drafts in the same manner. I don't have a problem with them deleting drafts automatically, but they should give us the ability to save templates that we can reuse. I'd still like to see the ability to use notes in Yahoo Notepad as templates for email messages.

        Jay Bienvenu 360.yahoo.com/bienvenunet
        bienvenunet@... flickr.com/photos/bienvenunet

        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 3, 2008
          They could put the templates wherever they wanted, as
          long as they retained formatting (no inserted hard
          returns!), subject line, and addresses in the three TO
          lines. Short of that, I'm staying put on Classic.

          In fact, if they're saving a draft of every email as
          you write it, and adding those to the same folder that
          stores my intentionally saved drafts, I'll stick with
          Classic, thank you very much. Don't want that clutter,
          either! Either give me somewhere to store the ones I
          want so they can delete the ones I don't, or don't
          save the garbage.

          Robin

          --- "S. J. \"Jay\" Bienvenu" <bienvenunet@...>

        • Paula McCartney
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 3, 2008
            I save templates by not putting an email address in the To field and just copy and paste the template into a new email.

            Paula McCartney
            "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."
            2 Timothy 1:7

            I used to use saved drafts in the same manner. I don't have a problem with them deleting drafts automatically, but they should give us the ability to save templates that we can reuse. I'd still like to see the ability to use notes in Yahoo Notepad as templates for email messages.

            ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _______
            Jay Bienvenu 360.yahoo.com/ bienvenunet
            bienvenunet@ yahoo.com flickr.com/photos/ bienvenunet

            love the way drafts automatically leave the draft

            folder once the

            email has been sent, I've only just realised why

            this happens. Yahoo

            Mail now drafts ALL emails - thank you, thank you,

            thank you.

            Hopefully gone are the days when computer/firefox/

            wireless crashes or

            outages will make me rewrite entire emails again

            (that I'd forgotten

            to save).

            That's it - thought it was time something good was

            written about Y

            mail - we do tend to comment on omissions more often

            than not.

            Yahoo! Groups Links

                http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Y-Mail/

                http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Y-Mail/ join

                mailto:Y-Mail-digest@ yahoogroups. com
                mailto:Y-Mail-fullfeatured @yahoogroups. com

                http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

          • Robin Siegel
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 3, 2008
              Doesn't it seem easier to keep them as a draft? No
              worries about formatting, plus (in my case) you can
              leave certain addresses on the BCC line and they will
              be there every time.

              Copying and pasting (particularly when your text
              includes links) can be a huge problem, format-wise.

              Robin

              --- Paula McCartney <paulabbc@...> wrote:

              > I save templates by not putting an email address in
              > the To field and just copy and paste the template
              > into a new email.
              >
              > Paula McCartney
              > "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of
              > power, and of love, and of a sound mind."
              > 2 Timothy 1:7

              background-color:#e0ecee;margin-bottom:20px;padding:2px
              > 0 8px 8px;}
              > #ygrp-vital #vithd{

              > #ygrp-vital ul{
              > padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
              > #ygrp-vital ul li{
              > list-style-type:none;clear:both;border:1px solid
              > #e0ecee;
              > }
              > #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{

              > #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
              > font-weight:bold;}
              > #ygrp-vital a{
              > text-decoration:none;}

              === message truncated ===
            • Ryan
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 4, 2008
                Hi everyone,

                I have some good news for folks who have been saving drafts as templates.  While we decided to remove drafts from the folder as soon as you send them (something that is needed now that we have added auto-save in the latest version of All-New Mail), there is a way to override that and keep the draft after sending.

                Currently users can send a message in two ways:
                • Click 'send' button
                • Ctrl+enter
                In order to keep the message in your Drafts folder, just hold down the shift button for both actions above.
                • Hold shift and then click 'send'
                • Shift+Ctrl+enter
                Hope that helps,
                Ryan
              • Robin Siegel
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 4, 2008
                  Thanks Ryan, that's fantastic news. Now if you could
                  figure out a way to enable PREVIEW for those Excel
                  attachments, I'd be on the road to trying New Mail!

                  Robin Siegel

                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 5, 2008
                    Thanks Ryan for the information. Seems like a very good and easy compromise.
                    Gabriel

                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 5, 2008
                      Hi again,

                      Glad the information helped. Forgot to explicitly mention that this
                      applies only to the All-New Yahoo! Mail, and not to Classic.

                      Wanted to make sure that was clear.

                      -Ryan
                    • Don Ethridge
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 5, 2008
                        Robert,
                        If you have a Gmail account and Google Docs you can open and view MS Office files without a download.  You can also save the file to your Google Docs account without a download.  Wave of the future IMHO. Hope Yahoo will catch up.

                        Don

                        --- Ryan <ymailblog1@yahoo. com> wrote:

                        > Hi everyone,
                        >
                        > I have some good news for folks who have been saving
                        > drafts as
                        > templates. While we decided to remove drafts from
                        > the folder as soon as
                        > you send them (something that is needed now that we
                        > have added auto-save
                        > in the latest version of All-New Mail), there is a
                        > way to override that
                        > and keep the draft after sending.
                        >
                        > Currently users can send a message in two ways:
                        >
                        > * Click 'send' button
                        > * Ctrl+enter
                        > In order to keep the message in your Drafts folder,
                        > just hold down the
                        > shift button for both actions above.
                        >
                        > * Hold shift and then click 'send'
                        > * Shift+Ctrl+enter
                        > Hope that helps,
                        > Ryan

                      • S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 5, 2008
                          It's good that there is a solution, but I wouldn't call it a great solution. It's very easy to forget to hold down the Shift button in a case like this, and I bet that a lot of people will forget and end up losing templates. I'd rather see a separate folder for templates and/or interoperability with Notepad.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 5, 2008
                            A separate subject, but I agree, I think this is a great function and I've always wished Yahoo would have this. An integration with Zoho, in the same way that Google has with its Docs, would be my dream...

                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 5, 2008
                              what if you change the subject line of your template - does that save it as a different message?

                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 5, 2008
                                Yahoo will never catch up .

                                Google and Gmail are far ahead .

                                If you have a Gmail account and Google Docs you can open and view MS Office files without a download.  You can also save the file to your Google Docs account without a download.  Wave of the future IMHO. Hope Yahoo will catch up.

                                Don

                                Thanks Ryan, that's fantastic news. Now if you could
                                figure out a way to enable PREVIEW for those Excel
                                attachments, I'd be on the road to trying New Mail!

                                Robin Siegel

                                --- Ryan <ymailblog1@yahoo. com> wrote:

                                > Hi everyone,
                                >
                                > I have some good news for folks who have been saving
                                > drafts as
                                > templates. While we decided to remove drafts from
                                > the folder as soon as
                                > you send them (something that is needed now that we
                                > have added auto-save
                                > in the latest version of All-New Mail), there is a
                                > way to override that
                                > and keep the draft after sending.
                                >
                                > Currently users can send a message in two ways:
                                >
                                > * Click 'send' button
                                > * Ctrl+enter
                                > In order to keep the message in your Drafts folder,
                                > just hold down the
                                > shift button for both actions above.
                                >
                                > * Hold shift and then click 'send'
                                > * Shift+Ctrl+enter
                                > Hope that helps,
                                > Ryan

                              • Robin Siegel
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 7, 2008
                                  Evidently not. I just tried it.

                                  --- G Pollara <gpollara@...> wrote:

                                  > what if you change the subject line of your template
                                  > - does that save it as a different message?

                                • Michael Taylor-Judd
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 3 4:27 PM
                                    I'd point out once again that this is a feature that operates in Outlook, and while I suppose that's great if you're trying to capture Outlook users for Y-Mail, I'd love to see evidence of the polls or focus groups that suggested we'd all prefer a more Outlook-like user interface for Y-Mail. *SIGH*

                                    Thanks,

                                    Michael 8-)

                                    "One of the interesting things about this experience argument is that it's often posed as just a function of longevity. You know, 'I've been here longer.' Well, you know there are a lot of companies that have been around longer than Google... but Google's performing." --Barack Obama, speaking on CBS's "60 Minutes" (2/8/2008)