Yahoo/Google and Address Protection

  • Stephen Byers
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2008
      I've been a Yahoo! Mail user for 10 years I guess.  I also have a Gmail account.  My biggest issue is having to change everything over to a new address (that's why I never use an ISP-assigned address) if I decide to change from Yahoo! (or whoever) as my primary.  I own a few domains - one of which I use simply as a redirect to my phone for paging purposes when tech problems occur.  I think I've decided to try to come up with a decent domain if there are any left and setup mail forwards to my email of choice (Yahoo!, Google, whatever).  I could change everything over to my own domain and switch the backend forwards whenever I need to.  At least I would protect myself from the then current "evil empire" that is hosting my destination address by making it quite easy for me to switch to someone else.  That's not to say I would switch from Yahoo! if (and probably when) the deal goes through.

      I assume a lot of others do this on here already?
    • Jacob Wilke
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2008
        I do the same thing. I have yahoo as my primary and don't use the ones through my ISP. I know if one goes down, the others should be running. Usually it just a different free provider and the first part of my address is the same. It just the @... that changes for me and the people that email me.

        Stephen Byers <smbyers@...> wrote:
[...]

      • David Spanne
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2008
          Someone was listening!  YES this is a great idea. Owning your own domain is the way to go.  FWIW, you can point your A-name in your domain host control panel to Google, and they will host your domain email - same features as an @gmail but @yourdomain.  If you get tired of gmail or want to move, you just redirect your A-name to your new host after caching all your email.  Gmail also supports IMAP which is the ONLY way to go (how can anybody still use POP?).  1and1.com gives 5 IMAP 2GB mailboxes for .99 a month.
          David