Re: The first public viewing of the Mail beta

  • Joshua Logan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 7 2:43 PM
      This is not what the interface actually looks like.

      This is, in fact, an image of what OddPost looks like, hence the
      striking similarities. :)

      Can anyone make screenshots of what the interface looks like?

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "jbeaul" <joe@b...> wrote:
      > http://tinyurl.com/b54yv
      >
      > Looks like a straight port of OddPost. Not much difference from the
      > latest implementation of OddPost. I guess if it ain't broke, don't
      > fix it!
      >
      > Joe
    • jbeaul
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 7 10:38 PM
        What does the interface look like?

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Joshua Logan" <emailjaylogan@y...> wrote:
        > This is not what the interface actually looks like.
      • abonet
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 18, 2005
          Considering that Yahoo purchased a working product it seems its taking
          a notably long time for them to "port" it to Yahoo's Mail. I was sort
          of dissapointed in how much its still missing: no working
          spell-checker on Mozilla/Firefox, no real integration with Calendar,
          lots of CPU usage during certain operations.

          How many years off would this thing be if they started from scratch?

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "jbeaul" <joe@b...> wrote:

          > http://tinyurl.com/b54yv
          >
          > Looks like a straight port of OddPost. Not much difference from the
          > latest implementation of OddPost. I guess if it ain't broke, don't
          > fix it!
          >
          > Joe

        • Silvana Wasitova
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 18, 2005
            Hmm.... considering the millions of Yahoo users out there (how many users did Oddpost have?),
            I'd expect it would take more than just a "simple port".

            Silvana Wasitova - wasitova@...

            Considering that Yahoo purchased a working product it seems its taking
            a notably long time for them to "port" it to Yahoo's Mail. I was sort
            of dissapointed in how much its still missing: no working
            spell-checker on Mozilla/Firefox, no real integration with Calendar,
            lots of CPU usage during certain operations.

            How many years off would this thing be if they started from scratch?

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "jbeaul" <joe@b...> wrote:

            > http://tinyurl.com/b54yv
            >
            > Looks like a straight port of OddPost. Not much difference from the
            > latest implementation of OddPost. I guess if it ain't broke, don't
            > fix it!
            >
            > Joe

            Beta Promote Apply for

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.

          • Greg Vergho
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 18, 2005
              As a former Oddpost user, I would say that Silvana is on the right
              track. Oddpost won't say how many users they had when they stopped
              taking new accounts in July of 2004, but it was/is no where near the
              number that Yahoo has.

              As far as a simple port of the software, Oddpost worked under
              Internet Explorer only. If you brought it up in Firefox, it
              wouldn't even launch. Oddpost also spawned a completely locked IE
              window that you couldn't use for anything else but the Oddpost
              client and that was their way of controling the reliability of the
              interface.

              In tackling changing the Yahoo Mail client, they have to contend
              with different browsers, operating systems, and hardware to somehow
              try to satisfy every Yahoo user out there. I'm betting this thing
              could be in beta for a while longer.

              But they have a little pressure to get this done sooner than later.
              Hotmail is close on their heals with their Tsunami beta and they
              should only have to build on their existing Outlook Web Access
              client which already works very well for corporate MS Exchange users.

              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Silvana Wasitova <wasitova@y...>
              wrote:

              > Hmm.... considering the millions of Yahoo users out there (how
              many users did Oddpost have?),
              > I'd expect it would take more than just a "simple port".
              >
              > Silvana Wasitova - wasitova@y...

              Guillaume
              > Beta Promote Apply for
              >

              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >
              > Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.

              Service.

            • abonet
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 6, 2006
                I never claimed it was "simple", but something as basic as a
                spell-checker? C'mon, they could probably hire some college student
                as an intern for a week and get that working on Mozilla.

                Heck, I'm using Google Toolbar as a spell-checker for my Yahoo! Beta
                Mail on Firefox. What's wrong with that picture?