Any mail clients working with Yahoo! Mail like my Blackberry does?

  • Christian Dysthe
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 30, 2008
      Hi,

      I access my Yahoo! Mail with my Blackberry. When I read a mail on the BB it gets marked as read in Yahoo! Mail, and when I send a mail from the BB it gets stored in my Yahoo! Mail outbox. Very good! Are there any Windows based mail clients (as opposed to the web interface) which can do the same thing? I do like the new Yahoo! Mail interface, but I would like to have a copy of my mail stored locally on my laptop since I often need to access mail when I am not on-line (traveling etc.) and the Blackberry access isn't always enough. Yes I know I can use the archive function, but it would be much easier being able to use a normal mail client working like the mail client on the BB does.

      --
      Christian
    • Steve Wechsler
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 30, 2008
        No, sorry. RIM has an arrangement with Yahoo to handle this, it requires
        special software provided by RIM (probably custom written for Yahoo, but
        it's likely similar to the BES, the Blackberry Enterprise Server designed
        for corporate use). You don't have access to the servers that the Blackberry
        uses.

        If you use Mail Plus, you can download your messages using POP3, but it
        automatically marks them as read in the web interface when you do that. If
        Yahoo ever starts supporting IMAP (what many of us on this list are hoping
        for, likely in vain) then you'll be able to do what you're asking for.

        Steve

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 31, 2008
          From: Steve Wechsler
          Subject: RE: [Y-Mail] Any mail clients working with Yahoo! Mail like my Blackberry does?

          Yahoo
          ever
          starts
          supporting
          IMAP
          (what
          many
          of
          us
          on
          this
          list
          are
          hoping
          for,
          likely
          in
          vain)
          then
          you'll
          be
          able
          do
          what
          you're
          asking
          for.

          ---------------------------------

          Hey Steve and all:

          I just got a Blackberry. Its not set up as yet, but I thought that members posting here said that Yahoo was suppporting IMAP for those getting messages using C-phones? To the folks who posted this info -- what's the true story?

          Thanks,

          L8!
          Nancy J
          Ordinaryfoolisnj@...

          "I am not my hair. I am not this skin. I am the soul that lives within."
          India Arie

          "It only takes a moment to kill what we believe"
          lyrics from "Time Falling Down"
          www.cindyalexander.com

          http://www.myspace.com/ordinaryfoolisnj
        • Kristie Strum
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 31, 2008
            I don't know about other cell phones, but I am able to utilize IMAP with my iPhone. I love it! I'd probably sync with a desktop client with it if IMAP were available for that, even if was just a benefit for Plus users.

            You know what I like best about Yahoo! Mail on my iPhone? Even though the messages show up with the newest on top like the default for the new Yahoo! Mail, when I select the oldest of my new messages, read it, then delete it, it actually goes to the next NEW message. I've come to almost prefer reading messages on my iPhone when I have fast wi-fi access because there's less fuss.

            Kristie

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 31, 2008

              It works with the iPhone, and as was posted earlier, with the blackberry. You still can’t get it with a PC client, though.

[...]

            • too_much green_tea
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 31, 2008
                I recently bought a new cellphone (last personal one was 4 yrs ago  :"> ), and learned that sometimes it really isn't about whether Yahoo wants to provide something, instead it's those service providers intentionally locked out features so they can charge more for everything  :-< .

                Come and visit our Y-Mail FAQ
                http://blog.360.yahoo.com/YMailFAQ?list=1

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 31, 2008
                  Amen TMGT,

                  This is my biggest frustration with our cell phone providers.
                  Here's a recent article that talks about the issues.
                  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/timothy-karr/roadblocks-to-the-mobile-_b_81029.html

                  It makes me sick that people in Asia and Europe have been surfing the
                  web, emailing and utilizing all sort of features on their cell phones
                  many years ago.

                  -US mobile providers suck

                  <toomuchgreentea@...> wrote:

                  > I recently bought a new cellphone (last personal one was 4 yrs ago
                  ), and learned that sometimes it really isn't about whether Yahoo
                  wants to provide something, instead it's those service providers
                  intentionally locked out features so they can charge more for everything .

                  > Come and visit our Y-Mail FAQ
                  > http://blog.360.yahoo.com/YMailFAQ?list=1

                • Nancy J