Re: [Y-Mail] Re: We need tags..

  • S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 7, 2008
      Or find it even quicker because I dragged it into the folder where I wanted to keep it.

      Has there been any usability research into Gmail's tagging features? It would be interesting to see something that shows objectively how well it works in the real world.

      Jay Bienvenu 360.yahoo.com/bienvenunet
      bienvenunet@... flickr.com/photos/bienvenunet

      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 7, 2008

        If you have tags, you don't need type all key word everytime you want search message.

        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 8, 2008
          But the time it takes to tag the messages in the first place isn't worth it for the rare few times that I need to search for something.

          Jay Bienvenu 360.yahoo.com/bienvenunet
          bienvenunet@... flickr.com/photos/bienvenunet

          If you have tags, you don't need type all key word everytime you want search message.

          Tags are pointless when you have powerful search abilities. Why tag
          something when I can find it by searching in 3 seconds?

        • medicrn11
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 8, 2008
            Tags instead of folders is the main reason I Don't use google as well
            a a few other items.
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 8, 2008
              agree - can't be bothered to tag emails all the time. Their content should be searchable and thus contain all its relevant "tags".

              I really would like to add one new feature to search mail: a "To" filter, in a similar way there is a filter for "From". That would help things

              But the time it takes to tag the messages in the first place isn't worth it for the rare few times that I need to search for something.

              ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _______
              Jay Bienvenu 360.yahoo.com/ bienvenunet
              bienvenunet@ yahoo.com flickr.com/photos/ bienvenunet

              If you have tags, you don't need type all key word everytime you want search message.

              Tags are pointless when you have powerful search abilities. Why tag
              something when I can find it by searching in 3 seconds?

            • bobaman99
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 8, 2008
                I've always thought that tags would be cool. However, there's no way
                I would remember what I've tagged to emails.

                I recently read an article where the author recommended not using
                folders or tags and that it is easier to just search.
                Which is what many of you are saying.

                I've always been a folders guy, but I may try the search approach.
                Some of my folders have gotten so big that I would have to do searches
                anyway.

                It is interesting learning how people use/organize emails.
                Keep the tips/rants/opions coming!

                > agree - can't be bothered to tag emails all the time. Their content
                should be searchable and thus contain all its relevant "tags".

                > I really would like to add one new feature to search mail: a "To"
                filter, in a similar way there is a filter for "From". That would help
                things

                0px;}

                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 8, 2008
                  the advantage of folders is that it provides a systematic system of taking emails out of your inbox, so that your inbox remains a kind of "to do" list. In addition, if we had sub-folders, then I'm sure it would all become a little more manageable, and each folder may be less overcrowded.

                  Also folders help with archiving - i.e. can do one at a time, which is more likely to work and allows you to backup specific topics in your email

                  --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, G Pollara <gpollara@.. .> wrote:

                  > agree - can't be bothered to tag emails all the time. Their content
                  should be searchable and thus contain all its relevant "tags".

                  > I really would like to add one new feature to search mail: a "To"
                  filter, in a similar way there is a filter for "From". That would help
                  things

                  color:#628c2a; font-size: 85%;font- weight:bold; line-height: 122%;margin: 10px
                  0px;}
                  > #ygrp-mkp #ads{
                  > margin-bottom: 10px;}
                  > #ygrp-mkp .ad{
                  > padding:0 0;}
                  > #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
                  > color:#0000ff; text-decoration: none;}
                  > -->
                  >

                  > <!--
                  >
                  > #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
                  > font-family: Arial;}
                  > #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
                  > margin:10px 0px;font-weight: bold;font- size:78%; line-height: 122%;}
                  > #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
                  > margin-bottom: 10px;padding: 0 0;}
                  > -->
                  >

                  > <!--
                  >
                  > #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px; font-family: arial, helvetica, clean,
                  sans-serif;}
                  clean, sans-serif;}
                  > #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height: 1.22em;}
                  > #ygrp-text{
                  > font-family: Georgia;
                  > }
                  > #ygrp-text p{
                  > margin:0 0 1em 0;}
                  > #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                  > font-family: Arial;
                  > clear:both;}
                  > #ygrp-vitnav{
                  > #ygrp-vitnav a{
                  > padding:0 1px;}
                  > #ygrp-actbar{
                  > clear:both;margin: 25px
                  0;white-space: nowrap;color: #666;text- align:right; }
                  > #ygrp-actbar .left{
                  > float:left;white- space:nowrap; }
                  > .bld{font-weight: bold;}
                  > #ygrp-grft{
                  > #ygrp-ft{
                  > padding:5px 0;
                  > }
                  > #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                  > padding-bottom: 10px;}
                  >
                  > #ygrp-vital{
                  > #ygrp-vital #vithd{

                  font-size:77% ;font-family: Verdana;font- weight:bold; color:#333; text-transform: uppercase; }
                  > #ygrp-vital ul{
                  > padding:0;margin: 2px 0;}
                  > #ygrp-vital ul li{
                  > }
                  > #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{

                  font-weight: bold;color: #ff7900;float: right;width: 2em;text- align:right; padding-right: .5em;}
                  > #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                  > font-weight: bold;}
                  > #ygrp-vital a{
                  > text-decoration: none;}
                  >
                  > #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                  > text-decoration: underline; }
                  >
                  > #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                  > color:#999;font- size:77%; }
                  > #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                  > #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                  > padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0; }
                  > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                  > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                  > #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
                  > #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                  > padding:8px 0;}
                  > #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{

                  font-family: Arial;font- weight:bold; color:#628c2a; font-size: 100%;line- height:122% ;}
                  > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                  > text-decoration: none;}
                  > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                  > text-decoration: underline; }
                  > #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                  > margin:0;}
                  > o{font-size: 0;}
                  > .MsoNormal{
                  > margin:0 0 0 0;}
                  > #ygrp-text tt{
                  > font-size:120% ;}
                  > blockquote{margin: 0 0 0 4px;}
                  > .replbq{margin: 4;}
                  > -->

                • Marshall Mathers, III
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 9, 2008
                    We need the ability to ability to rename the subject lines in e-
                    mails !!!!

                    That way I can organize the subject lines of e-mails in my inbox.

                    > the advantage of folders is that it provides a systematic system of
                    taking emails out of your inbox, so that your inbox remains a kind
                    of "to do" list. In addition, if we had sub-folders, then I'm sure it
                    would all become a little more manageable, and each folder may be less
                    overcrowded.

                    > Also folders help with archiving - i.e. can do one at a time, which
                    is more likely to work and allows you to backup specific topics in your
                    email
                  • fiction_scribe
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 10, 2008
                      I used to try and do folders by topic, but now I just do them by date.
                      Makes them quicker to move out of the inbox. And they still show up
                      in search.

                      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "bobaman99" <ryaniclee@...> wrote:

                      > I've always thought that tags would be cool. However, there's no way
                      > I would remember what I've tagged to emails.
                      >
                      > I recently read an article where the author recommended not using
                      > folders or tags and that it is easier to just search.
                      > Which is what many of you are saying.
                      >
                      > I've always been a folders guy, but I may try the search approach.
                      > Some of my folders have gotten so big that I would have to do searches
                      > anyway.
                      >
                      > It is interesting learning how people use/organize emails.
                      > Keep the tips/rants/opinions coming!

                      <snip the rest>
                    • Paula McCartney
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 10, 2008
                        I use descriptive folders such as:  Bills and Finances, Y-Mail List, Personal, Names of people who frequently send me emails (like my bosses).  Then I can always sort them by date or whether they had an attachment, etc., in the folder.

                        I wouldn't mind subfolders.

                        I hate a "full" in box.  Once an email is read it needs to be filed somewhere.

                        I also use the filters to send emails to their proper folders.  Again, keeps the inbox from getting so cluttered.

                        Paula McCartney
                        "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."
                        2 Timothy 1:7