Calendar events issues

  • Ciprian Murariu
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 29, 2007

      Hi again and Happy holidays to everybody!!!

      I noticed I cannot seem to be able to add my contacts birthdays to my Calendar anymore... (it might be a delay until the events get added to calendar, I'm gonna check back later, but still....)

      I go to edit contact page, check the little box next to the birthday field, save the contact then, when I check the calendar page, the event is not added.

      As I requested a long time ago, I wish to be able to:

      1. In Y!Mail: Filter all my contacts that have a date event added (birthday/anniversary) so I could check all or some and update my Events list into my Calendar;
      2. In Y!Messenger: when I add a date to a contact in Yahoo! Messenger, I need a similar checkbox in order to automatically add that date to my Calendar (or have Yahoo do that automatically by default)

      Until these things are done, I really consider the Calendar feature is missing important tools for handling more than 500 contacts as I have.

      But now, even with the very single option we have to add a birthday from our Contacts info to our Calendar as reminder, I am not able to do that either.

      I'm not sure who would be responsible for this (either YCalendar people or YMail), but this things really should be fixed. I become pretty frustrated after one year since I firstly posted about this and been waiting for something to be done about this.

      Can't you do anything about it Ryan? Please?

      Thank you, and again, have a wonderful New Year's Eve and New Year.

      Ciprian M.

      PS: some posts I've previously written on this topic:

    • Ciprian Murariu
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 29, 2007
        I checked again and noticed that only 27 of my contacts couldn't be
        added to my calendar, don't know why. In the same time, the reminder
        could be added for some of my contacts (10 or so).
        So... I'm still wondering... why these strange behavior?

        Ciprian M.

        PS: again, I'm talking about adding events from YahooMail Contacts
        page, not directly from YahooCalendar.
      • jmchaur
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 30, 2007
          I ran into this a while ago. I was told to leave the year field of
          the birthday blank and the date would go through to the calendar.

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 31, 2007
            Thanks J, I'll try this today... but anyway... it's neat...
            Ciprian M.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 1, 2008
              Ok, indeed it works if:
              1. delete the year (cut with ctrl+x)
              2. check the little box in the right of the birthday fields
              3. save the contact data
              4. edit the contact again and put the year back.
              5. save again.
              I did this for all my 27 remained contacts and it worked fine, but
              took me a few minutes...
              I hope Yahoo guys will fix it somehow soon... because this way it's
              just too strange.

              I also hope to have a way to check for those contacts whose
              birthday/event haven't yet been set as reminders in Calendar.
              Sometimes, I add a contact on YahooMessenger, or more, then once in a
              while I update/add the reminders. The way it works now, I have to
              check each contact one by one, which would drive anyone nuts.
              Thank you again for the hint J!
              All the best in 2008!
              Ciprian M.

              wrote:

              > Thanks J, I'll try this today... but anyway... it's neat...
              > Ciprian M.
              >

              > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "jmchaur" <jmchaur@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I ran into this a while ago. I was told to leave the year field
              of
              > > the birthday blank and the date would go through to the
              calendar.

            • fiction_scribe
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
                Why not just leave the year out of the date field altogether? Most
                people that I know don't really care if other people know their exact
                age, as long as they remember their birthday.

                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Ciprian Murariu" <ciprianmp@...> wrote:

                > Ok, indeed it works if:
                > 1. delete the year (cut with ctrl+x)
                > 2. check the little box in the right of the birthday fields
                > 3. save the contact data
                > 4. edit the contact again and put the year back.
                > 5. save again.
                > I did this for all my 27 remained contacts and it worked fine, but
                > took me a few minutes...
                > I hope Yahoo guys will fix it somehow soon... because this way it's
                > just too strange.
                >
                > I also hope to have a way to check for those contacts whose
                > birthday/event haven't yet been set as reminders in Calendar.
                > Sometimes, I add a contact on YahooMessenger, or more, then once in a
                > while I update/add the reminders. The way it works now, I have to
                > check each contact one by one, which would drive anyone nuts.
                > Thank you again for the hint J!
                > All the best in 2008!
                > Ciprian M.

              • Bulent
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 3, 2008
                  Ciprian, I totally understand and agree with you, such a boring
                  problem that you have to deal with: one simple date entry becomes an
                  headache that you have to double check etc... Another aspect of the
                  very same problem is that, if you have a date (year) like 1960's or
                  1970's contact entry is not carried over calendar, however if you
                  enter it like 2007 (recent past years) it works.
                  I had another strange case as well: at that one, what ever date I
                  entered (with or without year, at address book section) yahoo did
                  not posted that entry to the calendar, at the end I had to the
                  calendar, and created this bithday reminder manually, so weird!
                  Imagine people who synchronize their yahoo calendar through other
                  applications (Which is my case), how it s going to work??!!!
                  Overall the big picture is I am very dissappointed about birthday
                  reminder entry, and having this problem I feel very uncomfortable
                  using yahoo reminders at all, maybe there are other problems similar
                  to this as well with calendar: so far it is an untursted application
                  for me :(((

                  > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Ciprian Murariu" <ciprianmp@>
                  wrote:

                  > > Ok, indeed it works if:
                  > > 1. delete the year (cut with ctrl+x)
                  > > 2. check the little box in the right of the birthday fields
                  > > 3. save the contact data
                  > > 4. edit the contact again and put the year back.
                  > > 5. save again.
                  > > I did this for all my 27 remained contacts and it worked fine,
                  but
                  > > took me a few minutes...
                  > > I hope Yahoo guys will fix it somehow soon... because this way
                  it's
                  > > just too strange.
                  > >
                  > > I also hope to have a way to check for those contacts whose
                  > > birthday/event haven't yet been set as reminders in Calendar.
                  > > Sometimes, I add a contact on YahooMessenger, or more, then once
                  in a
                  > > while I update/add the reminders. The way it works now, I have
                  > > check each contact one by one, which would drive anyone nuts.
                  > > Thank you again for the hint J!
                  > > All the best in 2008!
                  > > Ciprian M.

                • Ciprian Murariu
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 3, 2008
                    In my case, I want to know the age. In romania (and I think more
                    other countries), the number of the flowers you'd offer to the
                    celabrated woman should/might reflect the age (exactly or by
                    proportions).
                    Same thing for men - when they turn a fix age, there are specific
                    gifts to be bought and offered. Something similar for anniversaries
                    (brass - 15, silver - 25 and gold - 50 years-old marriages...)
                    Besides, I really want to know how old is each of my family members,
                    and also some of my close friends.
                    Of course, who don't care about that, could choose to leave that
                    field empty. But I have that information stored in my phone's agenda
                    anyway, so it would be a pitty to don't add it to the YC event
                    reminders as well... don't you think so?

                    PS: The solution is workable anyway, but what I'm waiting for is a
                    fix from the Yahoo side; not to say that the last update in farm 308
                    lasts since 26th of November - isn't there anything else to improve
                    for 6 weeks? I really doubt it...

                    All the best!
                    Ciprian M.

                    --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "fiction_scribe" <rosarium_pdx@...>