Good reasons to "archive" mail (was Re: a few pop questions)

  • fiction_scribe
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 26, 2007
      I too remember the days of Archie and Veronica. Want to hear a
      techno-horror story? I live in near the center of one the 10 biggest
      US cities (~2mil in metro area) and can't get anything but dial-up at
      home, while my aunt who lives on the edge of the same metro area has
      high speed cable internet from AT&T and used to have the DSL!!!

      I use a laptop with wi-fi and live very close to the downtown area
      where there are two or three big AT&T buildings full of people who
      can't seem to figure out that AT&T should offer DSL service in my
      inner-city urban neighborhood. I don't want dial-up which would cost
      me more than DSL would, since I could get a measured land line + DSL
      (DSL doesn't use measured land line minutes and I have a cell phone
      anyway) for less than I would pay for a standard basic land line +
      dial up. Why pay more to go slower? Occasionally, I might get more
      mail (esp. listserv ones) than I have time to read using Wi-Fi (the
      library isn't open 24/7 nor are any of the cafes with Wi-Fi either),
      so I can "archive" the messages that I need to and read them offline
      at home later.

      Another good reason - back when Hotmail was HoTMaiL and owned by 2
      guys in San Francisco, I was a HoTMaiL user. Then came the sale to MS
      and things went downhill quick. I had contacts and messages disappear
      and lots of SPAM appear. I jumped to Y! Mail and should I ever hear
      any noise of MS trying to do something like takeover Y!, I'll
      immediately start backing up every piece of data in my Y! account.
      "Once burned twice shy."

      Another good reason - About 2 years ago I had a cousin who didn't know
      about weak vs strong passwords and her then overly noisy boy friend
      cracked her Y!M password and deleted a bunch of e-mails/addys from
      long time platonic guy friends of hers. I caught him when I noticed
      that she was "online" in YIM while I knew 100% that she was nowhere
      near her computer (which I was in fact using at the time). If she had
      backed up those messages/contacts then she wouldn't have lost that info.

      Another good reason - Natural and man-made disasters happen. Where
      are the Y! Mail servers? Y! is HQ'd in earthquake and fire prone
      California. Are the servers in more than one place on the planet? Or
      are they all near Y! HQ? If I'm on Farm 835 and there is a major
      natural or man-made disaster near that server farm location, will I
      still be able to access my e-mail, both old and new? Remember a few
      years ago when the entire NE US was without power? How would a power
      outage near wherever the server farms are located effect things for
      those elsewhere?

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "David Spanne" <dspanne@...> wrote:

      > I'm amazed what users will do to "backup" email. If you don't trust
      Yahoo
      > with your email, why use them at all? I have to believe my data is
      safer
      > with them than it is with my own computer. But even so, the
      question for me
      > is not trusting Yahoo, but being handcuffed to them or any other
      provider.
      > I use a Yahoo account and have for more than 10 years - it is my oldest
      > address (I was on Prodigy with a 2400 baud modem before AOL existed,
      and the
      > "internet" was only for universities and the government). I want my
      mail to
      > be mine, and be able to store it anywhere. IMAP or Exchange are the
      easy
      > way's to accomplish this. POP is the painfully hard way to do it.
      I speak
      > from experience. (Who hear has used Pegasus, Eudora, every version of
      > Outlook and Outlook express, Windows Live Mail, Lotus Notes,
      Thunderbird,
      > iScribe, and has accounts with Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, email.com, Lycos,
      > Excite, inbox.com, NetZero, mail2web.com, etc. etc. etc.)
      >
      > If you want to use Yahoo email because it is your favorite web mail
      > interface and feature set, but you want the email on your own
      computer, then
      > you have a problem. IMAP is the best bang for the buck to
      accomplish this,
      > and you can do it on several computers, not just one (I regularly use 3
      > different computers, and have two more I use on occassion). Yahoo
      does not
      > offer IMAP to anyone other than iPhone users. You can do as
      described by
      > earlier replies, but what a pain. So, I recommend that you have
      Yahoo be a
      > second destination rather than a primary destination, at least into the
      > future. Buy your own domain name - own your address. You can send
      it to
      > Yahoo as well as another POP/IMAP account to accomplish the goal.
      For that
      > matter, GMail will host your own domain email for free (with
      calendar and
      > documents etc.), and give you free forwarding and either POP or IMAP
      > access. 1and1.com sell 5 2GB IMAP mailboxes for .99 a month - so
      for less
      > than the price of Yahoo plus you could have your own domain and 5 IMAP
      > mailboxes, and could still point it to deliver to Yahoo as well as
      the 1and1
      > IMAP mailboxes. The mail could still end up on Yahoo if you can't
      part with
      > the interface. But most importantly, you would own your address,
      and could
      > direct it anywhere and use it with any provider - no more handcuffs.
      Even
      > Microsoft will host your own domain email for fee with 25 5GB mail
      accounts,
      > and I believe you get IMAP type feature set if you use Outlook 2003/2007
      > connector or Windows Live Mail (I've not actually tried this service).
      >
      > My 2 cents.
      > David

      <snip>
    • Sasafrass
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 26, 2007
        Just to clarify, free members do NOT have pop access. That's for plus members ONLY.

        fiction_scribe wrote:
        I've never had a problem with the archive option in Y! Mail Plus.  I
        just download the files and then unzip them if I need to look at them
        or leave the zipped if I don't.

        I didn't even know that free Y!M customers got POP.  I tried to set it
        up once back before I had Y!M+ and it didn't work, so I thought it was
        a Y!M+ thing.  So I eventually got Y!M+ for the disposable addresses,
        the non-adverts, and the archive option along with the then bigger
        inbox - a now moot point.
      • Nancy J
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 26, 2007
          I live in So Cal. Yeah, it is earthquake and fire country, but then again doesn't every area have something to worry about in terms of natural disasters?

          If you've taken any kind of internet security course, two of the first things you learn about is first securing the servers PHYSICALLY -- like which type of locked door to use, etc. Then how to protect yourself against either a man made or natural disaster. I'm sure that Yahoo has high paid honchos whose only job is to write manuals with nothing but procedures for both of those potentialities, and then to make sure that they are implemented.

          Still, its a good idea to back up certain email and files and even an image of your hard drive to restore in an emergency. People can do that on their own, and also use online storage. Lets face it, for most of us, a simple small but smokey home fire would wipe out most of any backups. We don't have the security that big companies take for granted with having backups stored at different locations and such.

          Still, backing up is always good. All of us who have suffered a black screen of death or suddenly heard a grinding hard drive knows that. I need to backup my hard drive now that you've reminded me to do it. Since I still use a computer from the dark ages (P3), I'll have to get that bundle of CD's going in the next couple of days. ;)!

          p.s. Its odd about ISP services in large cities -- I live in Los Angeles -- I have cable and have had cable since at least 1999. My inlaws live 10 minutes away and JUST got DSL service in their community. Their son, who lives on the other side of a large main thoroughfare from them got DSL three years before they did, and they live about 3 minutes apart. Its crazy!

          L8!
          Nancy J
          Ordinaryfoolisnj@...

          "I am not my hair. I am not this skin. I am the soul that lives within."
          India Arie

          "It only takes a moment to kill what we believe"
          lyrics from "Time Falling Down"
          www.cindyalexander.com

          http://www.myspace.com/ordinaryfoolisnj

> [...]

          for less
          > than the price of Yahoo plus you could have your own domain and 5
          IMAP
          > mailboxes, and could still point it to deliver to Yahoo as well as
          the 1and1
          > IMAP mailboxes. The mail could still end up on Yahoo if you can't
          part with
          > the interface. But most importantly, you would own your address,
          and could
          > direct it anywhere and use it with any provider - no more handcuffs.
          Even
          > Microsoft will host your own domain email for fee with 25 5GB mail
          accounts,
          > and I believe you get IMAP type feature set if you use Outlook
          2003/2007
          > connector or Windows Live Mail (I've not actually tried this

          <snip>

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Ian Seballe
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 26, 2007

            I have POP. I’m using a free yahoo.com.ph account. =)

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 26, 2007
              Sorry about your inability to get DSL, that stinks.  Great points.  Sure it is good to backup.  But a backup is only as good as your ability to restore.  So, if you are using POP (poop) how do you restore?  How would you put your email back on a Yahoo account?  You could resend it all, but then all the time and date info of the original is useless, and the the time to do it OMG.  With IMAP, you can move mail between various IMAP accounts and their folders. IMAP is synchronized, so in a sense you are always backed up, and connecting to an IMAP mailbox from multiple computers will result in redundancy better than any single POP backup.  IMAP4 has been around over 11 years and IMAP is over 21 years old.

              My point again is simple - IMAP has many features that make it preferable to POP for any serious email user.  If you are a "serious" email user why would you pay Yahoo $20 a year for POP rather than using a host that provides IMAP (and IMAP can be had for free, or less than the $20)?  Even Hotmail provides IMAP like features with its proprietary protocol for free.  Also, why wouldn't you own your own address (as little as $6 a year), so you can move to the provider of your choice whenever you want without changing your address?

              David

              <snip>

            • Sasafrass
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 27, 2007
                Ah, ok.... Other countries get free pop, but not the US. My mistake.... But it makes no sense whatsoever! Why would Yahoo do this?

                Ian Seballe wrote:

                I have POP. I’m using a free yahoo.com.ph account. =)

              • Frankie Luo
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 27, 2007
                  There are also free pop in China too.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 27, 2007

                    Long time ago, when I had a yahoo.com account, I was asking similar questions. But when I learned that yahoo [.ph] had free pop, oh well, what the heck. =)

                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 28, 2007
                      I briefly considered getting a European account for the free pop access, but I decided it would be too much of a hassle to switch over. I've changed email addresses a few times in the past, & it's a bit time consuming. It's easier to just keep what I have.....

                      Ian Seballe wrote:

                      I have POP. I’m using a free yahoo.com.ph account. =)

                    • James
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 28, 2007
                        Yes, I've always wished there was a way to import mail from desktop
                        clients to webmail.

> [...]
                        nowhere
                        > > near her computer (which I was in fact using at the time). If she
                        had
                        > > backed up those messages/contacts then she wouldn't have lost
                        that info.

                        > > Another good reason - Natural and man-made disasters happen. Where
                        > > are the Y! Mail servers? Y! is HQ'd in earthquake and fire prone
                        > > California. Are the servers in more than one place on the planet?
                        Or
                        > > are they all near Y! HQ? If I'm on Farm 835 and there is a major
                        > > natural or man-made disaster near that server farm location, will
                        > > still be able to access my e-mail, both old and new? Remember a
                        few
                        > > years ago when the entire NE US was without power? How would a
                        power
                        > > outage near wherever the server farms are located effect things

                        Spanne"