Getting spam instant messages, but I it set to block all chats from non-contacts

  • morac1974
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 22, 2007
      The past week I've logged into Yahoo Mail to see a bunch of spam
      offline messages from random usernames such as "lxlxlxlxlxlxlxn00b32"
      and "lxlxlxlxlxlxlxn00b16". They became so annoying that I went in to
      Spam settings and set it to "Block chat messages from anyone not in my
      contact list".

      I thought this would be the end of it since these people aren't in my
      contact list, but the offline messages are still appearing. They are
      not being blocked. What's more annoying is there is no way to mark
      them as spam. The only options are "chat, text, email or dismiss".

      So first off, why are these spam chat messages getting through and
      second, why can't I mark them as spam?
    • Jacob Wilke
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 23, 2007
        you can block that user from sending you messages. try that and see what happens. i get them once and a while but not to often.

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 23, 2007
          Make absolutely sure they're not in your contacts by in Y!Mail clicking
          contacts and start typing their IM userID (make sure not to misspell)
          until no contacts are shown.

          There is one big difference between the way Y!Mail and Y!Messenger
          work. In Y!Messenger, your Buddy List is distinctly seperate, while Y!
          Mail automatically uses all contacts w/ Y! or WinLive ID's entered. I
          like the way Y!Mail does it best, but the difference can create a
          strange glitch.

          Try logging in to <webmessenger.yahoo.com>. Start typing the IM userID
          (make sure not to misspell). Does it show their full userID in the
          autocomplete drop-down? If so they're on your Y!Messenger list, but
          not your Y!Mail contacts; keep reading. If not, it must be something
          else. Find their userID in your buddy list, click the down arrow to
          the right of their userID, and click remove.

          Any luck?

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 25, 2007
            They're not on either list. I just got another one today. It looks
            like this:

            ang.pangulo_b_54:
            Hi, <profile name> Check out this site www.praqs.info

            If I click "Chat" it says "ang.pangulo_b_54 is not in your Contacts."
            This person is also not in my Y! Messenger buddy list.

            So it seems spammers have found a way around Yahoo's filters or they
            just don't work in the first place.

            I'm talking with support now who doesn't seem to know why and
            basically just keeps saying "I understand".

            I think I found the reason though. I noticed that all the spam chats
            are for a profile of mine that is different than my main id. I'm
            guessing that the filter only filters to the same id that is used for
            the email address. Messengers to other profiles also show up on the
            Yahoo Mail web page. I just did a test and was able to send messages
            to multiple profiles and they all showed up on the mail web page. I
            did get a popup asking me to confirm I wanted to receive the message,
            but even if I close this popup, the message still shows up in another
            tab.

            It looks like the spam filter doesn't work correctly for profiles.
            I'm trying to pass this info to the support person, but I have a
            feeling it's not going to go anywhere.

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 25, 2007
              I found a simple test. Create another Yahoo profile (or use an
              existing one). Send that profile a message from the Yahoo Mail web
              interface. The message will display and say "profile_name is not in
              your contacts" even if you have it set up to block all messages from
              non-contacts. This might just be because the profiles are linked to
              your account, but it doesn't appear linked profiles are protected by
              the spam filter.

              Also interesting I found you can't block linked profiles since they
              claim to be in your messenger list and can't be blocked. It says to
              remove them from your contact list, which they aren't in. It
              basically seems like linked profiles aren't very well integrated with
              Yahoo Mail.

              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Jacob Wilke <jacoboctober11@...> wrote:

              > you can block that user from sending you messages. try that and see
              what happens. i get them once and a while but not to often.

            • morac1974
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 3, 2008
                I found the problem. The block chat id settings only work if you are
                online and logged into chat. If you are offline the settings are
                bypassed.

                Here's a simple test. Log into a Yahoo Id and send another Yahoo Id a
                chat message (make sure that that Yahoo Id is not logged into chat).
                Log out of the first Yahoo Id and log into the one you sent the chat
                message to. Go to Yahoo Mail and log in and the chat message will
                show up in the "Offline Messages" tab.

                Blocking the user appears to work, but since the user names keep
                changing that wouldn't help.