Re: Paste Images - No can do...

  • toomuchgreentea
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 5, 2007
      Failed again ... I'll just put the file in the group's Files section
      then.

      <toomuchgreentea@...> wrote:

      > Hmmmm .... please ignore the code below. It seems Y-Mail has decided
      to filter out the content of the browser tag. I'll try to attach the
      code to this post and see if it'll appear in full.

      > Come and visit our Y-Mail FAQ
      > http://blog.360.yahoo.com/YMailFAQ?list=1

    • James
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 5, 2007
        You can the the URL in Opera. Just right-click the image and choos
        "Copy Image Address". I'm on Opera9.5b1 (it works best for Y!Mail)
        but I don't see why past versions wouldn't have this.

        <toomuchgreentea@...> wrote:

        > Or I can just share what I normally do ... won't call that
        "enlightening" by any means ...

        > Since I use a laptop, I often run Y-Mail by itself in a
        "chromeless" window to save space, and do everything else in a
        different browser window. The upside is that because there will be no
        add-ons running, everything seems a bit faster. No chromes also means
        I won't be wasting valuable space for toolbars. Plus since I am
        already running two windows, there'll be no complication for drag-and-
        drop.

        > However, it does have its downsides ... there are no taskbar
        counter updates, no taskbar flashes, no mouseover pop-ups, and the
        normal context menu of the browser no longer works (thus no built-in
        spell check suggestions, but you can still use the one in Y-Mail).

        > As for copying the rendered HTML construct, it just means that
        instead of right-clicking on the image and choose copy, you'll need
        to create a range that contains the image and copy that instead.
        Right-clicking will only copy the image cached on the computer, which
        is why it won't work for email composition. You need to select a
        range then copy to grab the actually structure of the selection
        (meaning the image url will actually point to the one stored on the
        server).

        > I believe that both Firefox and IE7 can now copy the actual HTML
        structure. The version of Opera I had installed doesn't appear to
        work though.

        > Come and visit our Y-Mail FAQ
        > http://blog.360.yahoo.com/YMailFAQ?list=1

        and drop photos from flickr in one tab of firefox to Yahoo Mail in
        another tab. Also, how do you copy "rendered HTML"?
        > I suspect I ought to know the answer to both of those questions but
        would love to be enlightened...

        > Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you
        > with Yahoo Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/
        sports;_ylt=At9_qDKvtAbMuh1G1SQtBI7ntAcJ

        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 6, 2007
          Thank you very much. Chromeless seems a bit far for my tech abilities, but I can do the rendered HTML ok now. It's going to be v. useful - cheers!

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 14, 2008
            I believe you tried to share your code with me at one time for creating chromeless windows. I never succeeded in getting it to work but the inspirational led me to the code below. I saved this to a file on my computer and bookmarked it. When clicking on the link, after opening the bookmark, I get a new chromeless window but still retain many of the features you just said you lack spell check etc. Just thought I share this alternative with you. From this yahoo window I then right click on Calendar, notepad, etc and open them in new tabs. Makes it into a nice PIM.

            Zach-

            <head>
            <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="chromeless_35.js"></script>
            <script language="javascript">

            /*
            Chromeless Window (v3.5)- By Gabriel Suchowolski (this credit MUST stay intact)
            Visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com for this script
            */

            //For paramater explanations, see accompanying faq.htm file
            function openIT(u,W,H,X,Y,n,b,x,m,r) {
            var cU ='close.gif' //gif for close on normal state.
            var cO ='close.gif' //gif for close on mouseover.
            var cL ='clock.gif' //gif for loading indicator.
            var mU ='minimize.gif' //gif for minimize to taskbar on normal state.
            var mO ='minimize.gif' //gif for minimize to taskbar on mouseover.
            var xU ='max.gif' //gif for maximize normal state.
            var xO ='max.gif' //gif for maximize on mouseover.
            var rU ='restore.gif' //gif for minimize on normal state.
            var rO ='restore.gif' //gif for minimize on mouseover.
            var tH ='<font face=verdana size=2>Yahoo Mail</font>' //title for the title bar in html format.
            var tW ='Chromeless Window' //title for the task bar of Windows.
            var wB ='#D5D5FF' //Border color.
            var wBs ='#D5D5FF' //Border color on window drag.
            var wBG ='#D5D5FF' //Background of the title bar.
            var wBGs='#D5D5FF' //Background of the title bar on window drag.
            var wNS ='toolbar=0,location=0,directories=0,status=0,menubar=0,scrollbars=1,resizable=0' //Html parameters for Netscape.
            var fSO ='scrolling=auto noresize' //Html parameters for main content frame.
            var brd =b||5; //Extra border size.
            var max =x||false; //Maxzimize option (true|false).
            var min =m||false; //Minimize to taskbar option (true|false).
            var res =r||false; //Resizable window (true|false).
            var tsz =20; //Height of title bar.
            return chromeless(u,n,W,H,X,Y,cU,cO,cL,mU,mO,xU,xO,rU,rO,tH,tW,wB,wBs,wBG,wBGs,wNS,fSO,brd,max,min,res,tsz)
            }

            </script>

            </head>

            Open browser in new chromeless window.

            Yahoo Mail</a>

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 16, 2008
              I went to the site to check it out ... it said it only works with IE4+ ?
              "The chromeless interface works in IE4+, with other browsers showing a regular popup window instead. "

              It seems for other browsers, it's simply using window.open to open the page. May be I'm missing something ...

              I believe you tried to share your code with me at one time for creating chromeless windows. I never succeeded in getting it to work but the inspirational led me to the code below. I saved this to a file on my computer and bookmarked it. When clicking on the link, after opening the bookmark, I get a new chromeless window but still retain many of the features you just said you lack spell check etc. Just thought I share this alternative with you. From this yahoo window I then right click on Calendar, notepad, etc and open them in new tabs. Makes it into a nice PIM.

              Zach-

            • Zachary Fisk
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 16, 2008
                You're right it is basically a popup window but it provides me with my desired result, a clean streamline window for working with mail, calendar, address book, opening these in tabs. I've been using with FF for awhile now. After upgrading to FF 3, the window began displaying the URL bar. Not sure if it will go through to the group but attached is a screenshot, I'm curious as to how your truly chromeless window differs from my impostor.What advantages/disadvantges does it provide?

                Zach-

                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 16, 2008
                  I've uploaded a screenshot of mine.

                  Since nothing is loaded, the speed of using Y-Mail chromeless is noticeably faster on any machine. And because it's chromeless, there will be no status bar, no stored password, no plugins, no urlbar, no tabs ...

                  All external links will be opened in a new window with chrome.

                  FF's built-in spell checking will underline the words, but since the context menu doesn't work, you won't be able to select the correct one with right-click. Y-Mail's own spell check is very good these days, so that's not really a problem.

                  Right-clicks for Y-Mail's functions are working though.