Re: Paste Images - No can do...

  • fiction_scribe
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 3, 2007
      You must *attach* the image file. You can not cut and paste images in
      Y!Mail regardless of your web browser of choice. If you want to cut
      and paste images - you'll have to use MS Outlook or a similar e-mail
      program which allows such actions.

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Brent <flapdoodle@...> wrote:

      > I just tried to copy an image from my computer an paste into a Yahoo
      message and could not get it to work. I then tried to copy an image
      from Flickr and paste into a message and it did work

      <snip the rest>
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 3, 2007
        Yep - I agree. I tried copy and paste from Flickr into new Yahoo Mail, without success...

        You must *attach* the image file. You can not cut and paste images in
        Y!Mail regardless of your web browser of choice. If you want to cut
        and paste images - you'll have to use MS Outlook or a similar e-mail
        program which allows such actions.

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, Brent <flapdoodle@ ...> wrote:

        > I just tried to copy an image from my computer an paste into a Yahoo
        message and could not get it to work. I then tried to copy an image
        from Flickr and paste into a message and it did work

        <snip the rest>

      • Brent
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 3, 2007
          I just tried again to past from Flickr and did not have a problem. I am on f308 with the latest build. Maybe that makes a difference. I went ahead and sent the message from Yahoo to Gmail and it arrived with picture inserted.

          On Dec 3, 2007 4:50 PM, G Pollara <gpollara@...> wrote:
          Yep - I agree. I tried copy and paste from Flickr into new Yahoo Mail, without success...

          You must *attach* the image file. You can not cut and paste images in
          Y!Mail regardless of your web browser of choice. If you want to cut
          and paste images - you'll have to use MS Outlook or a similar e-mail
          program which allows such actions.

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, Brent <flapdoodle@ ...> wrote:

          > I just tried to copy an image from my computer an paste into a Yahoo
          message and could not get it to work. I then tried to copy an image
          from Flickr and paste into a message and it did work

          <snip the rest>

        • James
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 3, 2007
            I remember being able to paste images inline from the clipboard into
            an Email in Y!Mail Classic.

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "greg.pruitt" <gregwpruitt@...> wrote:

            > When creating a new message - I can't seem to paste images into the
            > body. Anyone else having this issue - it has been around for a
            while
            > - just now frustrated enough to make a post. I am using Firefox
            2.0.0.11.

            > GP

          • too_much green_tea
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 4, 2007
              In a sense ... yes, but the images must be public and have been uploaded somewhere  ;) . Only then you'll be able to drag-and-drop the images into the compose area.

              Like so  :D :

              For copy-and-paste, you must copy the rendered HTML construct instead of the image itself, otherwise the paste won't work.

              Oh .... and make sure you are composing with rich text  :) .

              P.S. This was done with Firefox. Note that copy-and-paste didn't work with IE before, though things might have changed.

              Come and visit our Y-Mail FAQ
              http://blog.360.yahoo.com/YMailFAQ?list=1

              I remember being able to paste images inline from the clipboard into
              an Email in Y!Mail Classic.

              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "greg.pruitt" <gregwpruitt@...> wrote:

              > When creating a new message - I can't seem to paste images into the
              > body.  Anyone else having this issue - it has been around for a
              while
              > - just now frustrated enough to make a post.  I am using Firefox
              2.0.0.11.

              > GP

            • wade hodges
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 4, 2007
                This is the best reason to stick with the "original" version....  "Copy and paste" is the most useful feature in Bill Gates' "universe" as far as I am concerned.
                I still cannot forward e's to all of my ebuds in the "new" version.  I get an error message wich is NOT evident in the "original" version... A gradual improvement in this version should have been the best way to go.
                Cwhrx....
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 4, 2007
                  Thank you but I think I may be being stupid - I can't drag and drop photos from flickr in one tab of firefox to Yahoo Mail in another tab. Also, how do you copy "rendered HTML"?
                  I suspect I ought to know the answer to both of those questions but would love to be enlightened...

                  I remember being able to paste images inline from the clipboard into
                  an Email in Y!Mail Classic.

                  --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, "greg.pruitt" <gregwpruitt@ ...> wrote:

                  > When creating a new message - I can't seem to paste images into the
                  > body.  Anyone else having this issue - it has been around for a
                  while
                  > - just now frustrated enough to make a post.  I am using Firefox
                  2.0.0.11.

                  > GP

                • too_much green_tea
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 4, 2007
                    Or I can just share what I normally do ... won't call that "enlightening" by any means ...  :P

                    Since I use a laptop, I often run Y-Mail by itself in a "chromeless" window to save space, and do everything else in a different browser window. The upside is that because there will be no add-ons running, everything seems a bit faster. No chromes also means I won't be wasting valuable space for toolbars. Plus since I am already running two windows, there'll be no complication for drag-and-drop.

                    However, it does have its downsides ... there are no taskbar counter updates, no taskbar flashes, no mouseover pop-ups, and the normal context menu of the browser no longer works (thus no built-in spell check suggestions, but you can still use the one in Y-Mail).

                    As for copying the rendered HTML construct, it just means that instead of right-clicking on the image and choose copy, you'll need to create a range that contains the image and copy that instead. Right-clicking will only copy the image cached on the computer, which is why it won't work for email composition. You need to select a range then copy to grab the actually structure of the selection (meaning the image url will actually point to the one stored on the server).

                    I believe that both Firefox and IE7 can now copy the actual HTML structure. The version of Opera I had installed doesn't appear to work though.

                    Come and visit our Y-Mail FAQ
                    http://blog.360.yahoo.com/YMailFAQ?list=1

                    Thank you but I think I may be being stupid - I can't drag and drop photos from flickr in one tab of firefox to Yahoo Mail in another tab. Also, how do you copy "rendered HTML"?
                    I suspect I ought to know the answer to both of those questions but would love to be enlightened...

                  • Zachary Fisk
                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 5, 2007
                      How do you setup the browser as chromeless? Can a shortcut have the properties so the normal browser window I use is not?

                      Zachary Fisk

                      http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 5, 2007
                        It's both simple and hard at the same time.

                        I wrote a "minimal" XUL file (only because I'm lazy  :P ) and placed it inside a firefox extension (in my case, I placed it inside "ymailaddons"). I named the file "YMailXUL.xul":

                        <?xml version="1.0"?>
                        <?xml-stylesheet href="chrome://global/skin/"?>

                            id="YMailXUL" title="Yahoo! Mail" width="1016" height="670">

                        </window>

                        To load this XUL, I can now use the -chrome command-line option of Firefox:

                        firefox -chrome chrome://ymailaddons/content/YMailXUL.xul

                        Remembering all that is cumbersome, and so I have also created an icon on my desktop with the command above as the target. Now whenever I want to run Y-Mail, I only need to double-click on the icon and out it comes  :D .

                        The hard part at the time (for beginners like me) was to find out how to create the extension structure for Firefox. There are excellent tutorials available these days, but if there were interests, I can also put together a step-by-step guide and put it in the group's file section, even though it's somewhat off-topic.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 5, 2007
                          Hmmmm .... please ignore the code below. It seems Y-Mail has decided to filter out the content of the browser tag. I'll try to attach the code to this post and see if it'll appear in full.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Dec 5, 2007
                            Failed again ... I'll just put the file in the group's Files section
                            then.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Dec 5, 2007
                              You can the the URL in Opera. Just right-click the image and choos
                              "Copy Image Address". I'm on Opera9.5b1 (it works best for Y!Mail)
                              but I don't see why past versions wouldn't have this.

                              <toomuchgreentea@...> wrote:

                              > Or I can just share what I normally do ... won't call that
                              "enlightening" by any means ...

                              > Since I use a laptop, I often run Y-Mail by itself in a
                              "chromeless" window to save space, and do everything else in a
                              different browser window. The upside is that because there will be no
                              add-ons running, everything seems a bit faster. No chromes also means
                              I won't be wasting valuable space for toolbars. Plus since I am
                              already running two windows, there'll be no complication for drag-and-
                              drop.

                              > However, it does have its downsides ... there are no taskbar
                              counter updates, no taskbar flashes, no mouseover pop-ups, and the
                              normal context menu of the browser no longer works (thus no built-in
                              spell check suggestions, but you can still use the one in Y-Mail).

                              > As for copying the rendered HTML construct, it just means that
                              instead of right-clicking on the image and choose copy, you'll need
                              to create a range that contains the image and copy that instead.
                              Right-clicking will only copy the image cached on the computer, which
                              is why it won't work for email composition. You need to select a
                              range then copy to grab the actually structure of the selection
                              (meaning the image url will actually point to the one stored on the
                              server).

                              > I believe that both Firefox and IE7 can now copy the actual HTML
                              structure. The version of Opera I had installed doesn't appear to
                              work though.

                              > Come and visit our Y-Mail FAQ
                              > http://blog.360.yahoo.com/YMailFAQ?list=1

                              sports;_ylt=At9_qDKvtAbMuh1G1SQtBI7ntAcJ

                              Message 14 of 21 , Dec 6, 2007
                                Thank you very much. Chromeless seems a bit far for my tech abilities, but I can do the rendered HTML ok now. It's going to be v. useful - cheers!

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 14, 2008
                                  I believe you tried to share your code with me at one time for creating chromeless windows. I never succeeded in getting it to work but the inspirational led me to the code below. I saved this to a file on my computer and bookmarked it. When clicking on the link, after opening the bookmark, I get a new chromeless window but still retain many of the features you just said you lack spell check etc. Just thought I share this alternative with you. From this yahoo window I then right click on Calendar, notepad, etc and open them in new tabs. Makes it into a nice PIM.

                                  Zach-

                                  <head>
                                  <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="chromeless_35.js"></script>
                                  <script language="javascript">

                                  /*
                                  Chromeless Window (v3.5)- By Gabriel Suchowolski (this credit MUST stay intact)
                                  Visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com for this script
                                  */

                                  //For paramater explanations, see accompanying faq.htm file
                                  function openIT(u,W,H,X,Y,n,b,x,m,r) {
                                  var cU ='close.gif' //gif for close on normal state.
                                  var cO ='close.gif' //gif for close on mouseover.
                                  var cL ='clock.gif' //gif for loading indicator.
                                  var mU ='minimize.gif' //gif for minimize to taskbar on normal state.
                                  var mO ='minimize.gif' //gif for minimize to taskbar on mouseover.
                                  var xU ='max.gif' //gif for maximize normal state.
                                  var xO ='max.gif' //gif for maximize on mouseover.
                                  var rU ='restore.gif' //gif for minimize on normal state.
                                  var rO ='restore.gif' //gif for minimize on mouseover.
                                  var tH ='<font face=verdana size=2>Yahoo Mail</font>' //title for the title bar in html format.
                                  var tW ='Chromeless Window' //title for the task bar of Windows.
                                  var wB ='#D5D5FF' //Border color.
                                  var wBs ='#D5D5FF' //Border color on window drag.
                                  var wBG ='#D5D5FF' //Background of the title bar.
                                  var wBGs='#D5D5FF' //Background of the title bar on window drag.
                                  var wNS ='toolbar=0,location=0,directories=0,status=0,menubar=0,scrollbars=1,resizable=0' //Html parameters for Netscape.
                                  var fSO ='scrolling=auto noresize' //Html parameters for main content frame.
                                  var brd =b||5; //Extra border size.
                                  var max =x||false; //Maxzimize option (true|false).
                                  var min =m||false; //Minimize to taskbar option (true|false).
                                  var res =r||false; //Resizable window (true|false).
                                  var tsz =20; //Height of title bar.
                                  return chromeless(u,n,W,H,X,Y,cU,cO,cL,mU,mO,xU,xO,rU,rO,tH,tW,wB,wBs,wBG,wBGs,wNS,fSO,brd,max,min,res,tsz)
                                  }

                                  </script>

                                  </head>

                                  Open browser in new chromeless window.

                                  Yahoo Mail</a>

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 16, 2008
                                    I went to the site to check it out ... it said it only works with IE4+ ?
                                    "The chromeless interface works in IE4+, with other browsers showing a regular popup window instead. "

                                    It seems for other browsers, it's simply using window.open to open the page. May be I'm missing something ...

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 16, 2008
                                      You're right it is basically a popup window but it provides me with my desired result, a clean streamline window for working with mail, calendar, address book, opening these in tabs. I've been using with FF for awhile now. After upgrading to FF 3, the window began displaying the URL bar. Not sure if it will go through to the group but attached is a screenshot, I'm curious as to how your truly chromeless window differs from my impostor.What advantages/disadvantges does it provide?

                                      Zach-

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 16, 2008
                                        I've uploaded a screenshot of mine.

                                        Since nothing is loaded, the speed of using Y-Mail chromeless is noticeably faster on any machine. And because it's chromeless, there will be no status bar, no stored password, no plugins, no urlbar, no tabs ...

                                        All external links will be opened in a new window with chrome.

                                        FF's built-in spell checking will underline the words, but since the context menu doesn't work, you won't be able to select the correct one with right-click. Y-Mail's own spell check is very good these days, so that's not really a problem.

                                        Right-clicks for Y-Mail's functions are working though.