Re: Why does Yahoo Mail show WAP version on Nintendo Wii's web browser?

  • morac1974
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2007
      Okay I tried logging in with an account that I had set up to go to
      Yahoo Mail classic and going to http://mail.yahoo.com and that worked.

      Going to http://mail.yahoo.com in my account that is set up to go to
      the new Yahoo Mail, redirected to
      http://us.m.yahoo.com/p/mail?tsrc=rawmail which if you go to that page
      in any web browser you can see is the WAP version since it's very
      primitive.

      I then switched that Yahoo account to use the classic version by
      default and then loaded it up in my Wii Opera Browser and it displayed
      the classic version.

      So the problem is that if the user chooses to use the new Yahoo Mail
      and loads the mail page on a Wii, instead of reverting to using the
      Classic Mail page, it just goes to the WAP Mail page. The fix for
      this would be to go to the classic page instead of the WAP page.

      In the meantime I found a work around. Go to
      http://us.mg1.mail.yahoo.com/ym/login?ymv=0 and then bookmark that
      page. That URL forces the classic page to load. Just load the
      bookmark when you want to use Yahoo Mail.

      On a side note, I can go to Gmail on the Wii and it works perfectly.
      Like Yahoo, GMail uses AJAX so obviously AJAX will work on the Wii
      Opera Browser.

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Christian Dysthe <christian@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > This is the response from Opera's Nintendo Wii team:
      >
      > We've asked Y! not to give us the full version on Wii as it breaks
      > badly. It doesn't have enough memory so keeps crashing and it
      > doesn't support rich text editing (contentEditable) or getters and
      > setters (supported in Opera 9 Kestrel) . As far as we know they were
      > going to give us the classic version. Hopefully they are not phasing
      > that out. It may be that they found issues and not informed us or
      > Nintendo.
      >
      > Can anyone please verify that we actually are getting a wap site?
      >

      > --
      > Christian

      Nintendo Wii's web browser?