Why does Yahoo Mail show WAP version on Nintendo Wii's web browser?

  • morac1974
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 27, 2007
      I can't figure this one out. Sometimes I want to check my Yahoo mail
      using the Wii's web browser. The web browser is basically the Opera
      browser. It supports javascript and it also supports flash.

      While I might not expect the new Yahoo Mail to work on it (though in
      theory it should since it is basically just javascript), I would
      expect that at the very least the Yahoo Mail Classic version would
      work. Instead I get the mobile phone WAP version which is not very
      useful at all.

      Why is this?
    • James
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 28, 2007
        That's strange. I would expect it not to work w/ New Y!Mail since
        Opera desktop w/it is just now becoming usable in 9.5beta, and is
        still slower and buggy compared to w/ Fx or IE. Still, I don't see
        any reason why the classic couldn't work with it.

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "morac1974" <Anonymous123@...> wrote:

        > I can't figure this one out. Sometimes I want to check my Yahoo mail
        > using the Wii's web browser. The web browser is basically the Opera
        > browser. It supports javascript and it also supports flash.
        >
        > While I might not expect the new Yahoo Mail to work on it (though in
        > theory it should since it is basically just javascript), I would
        > expect that at the very least the Yahoo Mail Classic version would
        > work. Instead I get the mobile phone WAP version which is not very
        > useful at all.
        >
        > Why is this?

      • Christian Dysthe
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 28, 2007
          Hi,

          I actually work for Opera Software. I will bring your question to the attention of our Nintendo browser engineering team for a possible answer.

          --
          Christian

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 29, 2007
            Hi,

            This is the response from Opera's Nintendo Wii team:

            We've asked Y! not to give us the full version on Wii as it breaks
            badly.  It doesn't have enough memory so keeps crashing and it
            doesn't support rich text editing (contentEditable) or getters and
            setters (supported in Opera 9 Kestrel) .  As far as we know they were
            going to give us the classic version.  Hopefully they are not phasing
            that out.  It may be that they found issues and not informed us or
            Nintendo.

            Can anyone please verify that we actually are getting a wap site?

            --
            Christian
            That's strange. I would expect it not to work w/ New Y!Mail since
            Opera desktop w/it is just now becoming usable in 9.5beta, and is
            still slower and buggy compared to w/ Fx or IE. Still, I don't see
            any reason why the classic couldn't work with it.

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, "morac1974" <Anonymous123@ ...> wrote:

            > I can't figure this one out. Sometimes I want to check my Yahoo mail
            > using the Wii's web browser. The web browser is basically the Opera
            > browser. It supports javascript and it also supports flash.
            >
            > While I might not expect the new Yahoo Mail to work on it (though in
            > theory it should since it is basically just javascript), I would
            > expect that at the very least the Yahoo Mail Classic version would
            > work. Instead I get the mobile phone WAP version which is not very
            > useful at all.
            >
            > Why is this?

          • morac1974
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 30, 2007
              Okay I tried logging in with an account that I had set up to go to
              Yahoo Mail classic and going to http://mail.yahoo.com and that worked.

              Going to http://mail.yahoo.com in my account that is set up to go to
              the new Yahoo Mail, redirected to
              http://us.m.yahoo.com/p/mail?tsrc=rawmail which if you go to that page
              in any web browser you can see is the WAP version since it's very
              primitive.

              I then switched that Yahoo account to use the classic version by
              default and then loaded it up in my Wii Opera Browser and it displayed
              the classic version.

              So the problem is that if the user chooses to use the new Yahoo Mail
              and loads the mail page on a Wii, instead of reverting to using the
              Classic Mail page, it just goes to the WAP Mail page. The fix for
              this would be to go to the classic page instead of the WAP page.

              In the meantime I found a work around. Go to
              http://us.mg1.mail.yahoo.com/ym/login?ymv=0 and then bookmark that
              page. That URL forces the classic page to load. Just load the
              bookmark when you want to use Yahoo Mail.

              On a side note, I can go to Gmail on the Wii and it works perfectly.
              Like Yahoo, GMail uses AJAX so obviously AJAX will work on the Wii
              Opera Browser.

              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Christian Dysthe <christian@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > This is the response from Opera's Nintendo Wii team:
              >
              > We've asked Y! not to give us the full version on Wii as it breaks
              > badly. It doesn't have enough memory so keeps crashing and it
              > doesn't support rich text editing (contentEditable) or getters and
              > setters (supported in Opera 9 Kestrel) . As far as we know they were
              > going to give us the classic version. Hopefully they are not phasing
              > that out. It may be that they found issues and not informed us or
              > Nintendo.
              >
              > Can anyone please verify that we actually are getting a wap site?
              >

              > --
              > Christian

              Nintendo Wii's web browser?