Re: [Y-Mail] SPAM with forged headers?

  • Brent
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 27, 2007
      I can send email from my Google account that says it is from my Yahoo account. I guess you could say the header is forged but it is still really from me.

      On Nov 26, 2007 11:45 PM, scott <bmwr606@...> wrote:
      ok...i try to report all the spam i get with @yahoo.com addresses to
      abuse@... (80-90% of the spam i get is from @yahoo.com addresses).

      9 out of 10 times i get an answer back from yahoo that says the email
      did not originate on yahoo, the header was forged.

      i do not have anybody that i want to get mail from that forges their
      headers!

      if yahoo can tell after the fact that the header was forged, why can't
      they tell before it is delivered to me and trash it?

      Yahoo! Groups Links

         mailto:Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com
         mailto: Y-Mail-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

    • Ciprian Murariu
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 27, 2007
        Good point, I guess...
        Ciprian M.

        > if yahoo can tell after the fact that the header was forged, why can't
        > they tell before it is delivered to me and trash it?

      • Richard Nelson
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 27, 2007
          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "scott" <bmwr606@...> wrote:

          > ok...i try to report all the spam i get with @... addresses to
          > abuse@... (80-90% of the spam i get is from @... addresses).
          >
          > 9 out of 10 times i get an answer back from yahoo that says the email
          > did not originate on yahoo, the header was forged.
          >
          > i do not have anybody that i want to get mail from that forges their
          > headers!
          >
          > if yahoo can tell after the fact that the header was forged, why can't
          > they tell before it is delivered to me and trash it?

          Try checking the from field it might be from yourself I have gotten 2
          spam messages like this.
        • morac1974
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 27, 2007
            Here's a few tricks to help you:

            1. If you get an email from a Yahoo Mail address and it doesn't list
            the sender as "DomainKeys verified" (the little paper with a key on it
            symbol), then the mail headers are forged.

            2. Set up a filter to send all mail that has "@..." in the sender
            field but does not have your email address in the to field to the
            trash. You can then set up other filters for any specific exceptions
            (such as mailing lists) that you want to receive to go to your inbox.
            I'd say this blocks around 90% of the spam I get from forged (and
            non-forged) Yahoo Mail accounts.