IMAP

  • daynelloconor
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 27, 2007
      Yahoo! should support IMAP for Yahoo! Plus members!!!
    • Karin Corbeil
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 2, 2011
        I've been experimenting using IMAP to download messages from my Yahoo
        Mail Plus account. It works great in receiving messages and deleting
        from the server...but it will not send.

        My settings are:
        Incoming - imap.mail.yahoo.com - Port 993 SSL is checked
        Outgoing - smtp.mail.yahoo.com - Port 465 SSL is checked
        Logon using Secure Password Authentication is not checked.

        Suggestions?

        Thanks.

        Karin Corbeil

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 2, 2011
            It's on my desktop.

            I use either Thunderbird 3.1 or Outlook Express 6.
            Operating system Windows XP.

            Karin

            > Is this for mobile or desktop access. If the latter, which program
            are you using. There is a known issue with zimbra desktop that won't be
            resolved till mid September.

            > Karin Corbeil <kvictoria@...> wrote:
            >

            > I've been experimenting using IMAP to download messages from my Yahoo
            > Mail Plus account. It works great in receiving messages and deleting
            > from the server...but it will not send.
            >
            > My settings are:
            > Incoming - imap.mail.yahoo.com - Port 993 SSL is checked
            > Outgoing - smtp.mail.yahoo.com - Port 465 SSL is checked
            > Logon using Secure Password Authentication is not checked.
            >
            > Suggestions?
            >
            > Thanks.
            >
            > Karin Corbeil

          • Dennis Patriarca
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 2, 2011
              I have IMAP set up in Outlook Express on my desktop for a free Y-Mail account with
              the @... domain. I agree that it works great.

              I initially had problems in sending as well. What I did was under the Servers tab, I
              checked the "My server requires authentication" box. I don't use Thunderbird, but it
              must have a similar setting somewhere

              All my other incoming and outgoing servers are configured the same as you originally
              wrote below. Hope this helps.

              Dennis

              I use either Thunderbird 3.1 or Outlook Express 6.
              Operating system Windows XP.

              Karin

              > Is this for mobile or desktop access. If the latter, which program
              are you using. There is a known issue with zimbra desktop that won't be
              resolved till mid September.

              > Karin Corbeil <kvictoria@...> wrote:
              >

              > I've been experimenting using IMAP to download messages from my Yahoo
              > Mail Plus account. It works great in receiving messages and deleting
              > from the server...but it will not send.
              >
              > My settings are:
              > Incoming - imap.mail.yahoo.com - Port 993 SSL is checked
              > Outgoing - smtp.mail.yahoo.com - Port 465 SSL is checked
              > Logon using Secure Password Authentication is not checked.
              >
              > Suggestions?
              >
              > Thanks.
              >
              > Karin Corbeil

            • audioguy22
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 3, 2011
                ..ok ..i'm confused

                ...these IMAP settings work for me too !! ..using winxp / outtlook express 6

                ....wonder why ?? yahoo would allow this to be down-loaded on a *FREE* (( READ : NON-premium )) email account ??

                ...thanxx for the cool details . .

                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Patriarca" <dennpat@...> wrote:

                > I have IMAP set up in Outlook Express on my desktop for a free Y-Mail account with
                > the @... domain. I agree that it works great.
                >
                > I initially had problems in sending as well. What I did was under the Servers tab, I
                > checked the "My server requires authentication" box. I don't use Thunderbird, but it
                > must have a similar setting somewhere
                >
                > All my other incoming and outgoing servers are configured the same as you originally
                > wrote below. Hope this helps.
                >
                > Dennis

              • Sasafrass452
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 3, 2011
                  You really should upgrade your system! Or is there some reason you can't? Thunderbird is currently at version 6.01 & OE was replaced by Windows Live Mail. If anything, you should upgrade for the security & bug fixes!

                  **Sasafrass452**
                  http://www.friendburst.com/Sasafrass452
                  http://thexfactorusa.proboards.com

                  On 09/02/2011 02:41 PM, Karin Corbeil wrote:

                  It's on my desktop.

                  I use either Thunderbird 3.1 or Outlook Express 6.
                  Operating system Windows XP.

                  Karin

                  > Is this for mobile or desktop access. If the latter, which program
                  are you using. There is a known issue with zimbra desktop that won't be
                  resolved till mid September.

                  > Karin Corbeil <kvictoria@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > I've been experimenting using IMAP to download messages from my Yahoo
                  > Mail Plus account. It works great in receiving messages and deleting
                  > from the server...but it will not send.
                  >
                  > My settings are:
                  > Incoming - imap.mail.yahoo.com - Port 993 SSL is checked
                  > Outgoing - smtp.mail.yahoo.com - Port 465 SSL is checked
                  > Logon using Secure Password Authentication is not checked.
                  >
                  > Suggestions?
                  >
                  > Thanks.
                  >
                  > Karin Corbeil

                • Karin Corbeil
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 3, 2011
                    Thanks, Dennis....it worked.

                    Karin Corbeil

                    --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Patriarca" <dennpat@...> wrote:

                    > I have IMAP set up in Outlook Express on my desktop for a free Y-Mail
                    account with
                    > the @... domain. I agree that it works great.
                    >
                    > I initially had problems in sending as well. What I did was under the
                    Servers tab, I
                    > checked the "My server requires authentication" box. I don't use
                    Thunderbird, but it
                    > must have a similar setting somewhere
                    >
                    > All my other incoming and outgoing servers are configured the same as
                    you originally
                    > wrote below. Hope this helps.
                    >
                    > Dennis
                  • Karin Corbeil
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 3, 2011
                      I wondered the same thing.

                      I have two yahoo accounts....one "Mail Plus" (premium) and one just
                      regular.

                      I was easily able to download the Mail Plus account via POP3 and by
                      doing so it totally deleted the emails from the yahoo server.

                      But now, ever since the New Yahoo Mail was put in place, it just deletes
                      them from the Inbox and places them in Trash. So every now and then I
                      had to go into the Yahoo account via the web and empty the Trash.

                      I was trying to figure out a way to avoid doing this and that is when I
                      started experimenting with IMAP. It's especially helpful in getting rid
                      of the junk mail. And it's nice to have access to both accounts on one
                      email client without having to login and logout and login again.

                      But will Yahoo eventually prevent this and block non-premium users from
                      downloading via IMAP?

                      I also wonder if using IMAP for a desktop (or laptop) and not a mobile
                      device might be construed as going against their terms of service????