IMAP acces

  • jalemany
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
      IMAP access is the feature that now justify being a Plus member.

      Although the new Yahoo! Mail Beta imitates very well an email client
      such as Thunderbird, Evolution or Kmail.
      The performance could never be as powerful as is with an app designed
      for the task (offline IMAP, powerful cache, fast search,
      desktop-addressbook-calendar real integration, unlimited filtering, etc)

      Web access is appropiate for travelling.

      I hope this opinion will help finding more users asking for IMAP
      access to our Yahoo! friends

      I am sorry for my english
    • Liz Yumrutepe
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
        For those of you who, like me, wants to know what IMAP is, here is a link that explains it in laymans terms
        http://www.imap.org/about/whatisIMAP.html

        http://www.kaplan.edu
        " Knowledge is the key to life "

        IMAP access is the feature that now justify being a Plus member.

        Although the new Yahoo! Mail Beta imitates very well an email client
        such as Thunderbird, Evolution or Kmail.
        The performance could never be as powerful as is with an app designed
        for the task (offline IMAP, powerful cache, fast search,
        desktop-addressbook-calendar real integration, unlimited filtering, etc)

        Web access is appropiate for travelling.

        I hope this opinion will help finding more users asking for IMAP
        access to our Yahoo! friends

        I am sorry for my english

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.

      • Kevin Derby
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 3, 2006
          I couldn't agree more with this post. If I choose to use Thunderbird, Outlook, OE, etc. with my paid Yahoo Premium mail account, I should be able to do so via IMAP.

          The use of IMAP should have been introduced to Yahoo Premium long ago. Yes, it taxes the server ever so slightly more when a user is actively performing folder functions, but the main reason for POP3 was because POP3 (basically) forced people to remove/download their data from the server, saving space on the server etc. With gigabytes of space now available, I should be able to utilize it all.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 4, 2006
            Agreed. Had Yahoo rolled out IMAP access years ago I would have become a plus member then rather than wait until this beta (when they finally had a web client worth using) to join.

            Now the web client is to the point where I'd prefer to use it to an email application (I switch computers several times a day from work, home, etc)... but having IMAP would still be a nice option. It would certainly allow me to access my mail from my mobile, on the road (with caching) etc much easier. Using a phone's browser to access Yahoo mail, while doable, is no fun.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 4, 2006
              I actually prefer pop3 instead of webmail or IMAP, & I signed up for a
              plus account just to have the pop3 access. I hate to admit this, but
              when I decided to use Yahoo as my primary email, I had a free account
              but wanted to use Thunderbird, so I installed a webmail extension to
              get my mail. I guess you could say I was a freeloader for a short
              time. But when Thunderbird 1.0.7 came out, the extension was no longer
              compatible & that pretty much forced me to pay for Yahoo mail. Rather
              than hunt for yet *another* email account with pop3 access(I've
              changed addresses a few times in the last couple of years), the
              decision to pay came pretty easily.
            • Nancy J
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 4, 2006
                From: JP <rivenfeld@...>

                Agreed. Had Yahoo rolled out IMAP access years ago I would have become a plus member then rather than wait until this beta (when they finally had a web client worth using) to join.

                I couldn't agree more with this post. If I choose to use Thunderbird, Outlook, OE, etc. with my paid Yahoo Premium mail account, I should be able to do so via IMAP.

                I too would love to have IMAP access.

                Its possible to archive (since I don't use Pop3), but some of my art mail is HUGE, and folders are too large in size to archive as one, so I have to spend too much time transferring file by file. With IMAP, I could have these files sent to my box, and keep them at Yahoo for as long as I needed and then trash more. As it stands, I'm using 1.5 gig of my 2 because of the time it takes to archive my huge art files. For me, I'd use LESS server space if there was IMAP.

                L8! Nancy J Ordinaryfoolisnj@... "Heroes are people who rise to the occasion and slip quietly away. Tom Brokaw http://360.yahoo.com/ordinaryfoolisnj
              • The Clash
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 6, 2006
                  I think you could have gotten your POP3 access to Yahoo! email for free if
                  you signed up for a yahoo.co.uk account.

                  On 1/4/06, sasafrass452 <sasafrass452@...> wrote:

                  > I actually prefer pop3 instead of webmail or IMAP, & I signed up for a
                  > plus account just to have the pop3 access. I hate to admit this, but
                  > when I decided to use Yahoo as my primary email, I had a free account
                  > but wanted to use Thunderbird, so I installed a webmail extension to
                  > get my mail. I guess you could say I was a freeloader for a short
                  > time. But when Thunderbird 1.0.7 came out, the extension was no longer
                  > compatible & that pretty much forced me to pay for Yahoo mail. Rather
                  > than hunt for yet *another* email account with pop3 access(I've
                  > changed addresses a few times in the last couple of years), the
                  > decision to pay came pretty easily.
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • lakeflurries
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 6, 2006
                    Yes, all of them outside the .com
                    I have a .ca account and there POP3 and forwarding is free. Didn't know about this until just a few weeks ago!
                    Flurries

                    My 360°

                    I think you could have gotten your POP3 access to Yahoo! email for free if
                    you signed up for a yahoo.co.uk account.

                    On 1/4/06, sasafrass452 <sasafrass452@...> wrote:

                    > I actually prefer pop3 instead of webmail or IMAP, & I signed up for a
                    > plus account just to have the pop3 access. I hate to admit this, but
                    > when I decided to use Yahoo as my primary email, I had a free account
                    > but wanted to use Thunderbird, so I installed a webmail extension to
                    > get my mail. I guess you could say I was a freeloader for a short
                    > time. But when Thunderbird 1.0.7 came out, the extension was no longer
                    > compatible & that pretty much forced me to pay for Yahoo mail. Rather
                    > than hunt for yet *another* email account with pop3 access(I've
                    > changed addresses a few times in the last couple of years), the
                    > decision to pay came pretty easily.
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.

                  • JATAI
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 6, 2006
                      In Brazil POP3 and Forwarding is free too. Perhaps because we have too many free Internet connections and to have competitiveness they can offer some features for free.

                      Jatai

                      I have a .ca account and there POP3 and forwarding is free. Didn't know about this until just a few weeks ago!
                      Flurries

                      My 360°

                      I think you could have gotten your POP3 access to Yahoo! email for free if
                      you signed up for a yahoo.co.uk account.

                      On 1/4/06, sasafrass452 <sasafrass452@...> wrote:

                      > I actually prefer pop3 instead of webmail or IMAP, & I signed up for a
                      > plus account just to have the pop3 access. I hate to admit this, but
                      > when I decided to use Yahoo as my primary email, I had a free account
                      > but wanted to use Thunderbird, so I installed a webmail extension to
                      > get my mail. I guess you could say I was a freeloader for a short
                      > time. But when Thunderbird 1.0.7 came out, the extension was no longer
                      > compatible & that pretty much forced me to pay for Yahoo mail. Rather
                      > than hunt for yet *another* email account with pop3 access(I've
                      > changed addresses a few times in the last couple of years), the
                      > decision to pay came pretty easily.
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                      Visit your group "Y-Mail" on the web.

                      Expert advice Expert Advice

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 6, 2006
                        From: The Clash <theclash@...>

                        I think you could have gotten your POP3 access to Yahoo! email for free if
                        you signed up for a yahoo.co.uk account.

                        Hi. I've known that non US accounts had free POP3 for a long time. I didn't pay for Yahoo to get POP3, as I don't use it. And frankly, there used to be free programs that allowed one to steal the POP3 access.

                        Part of the reason that hubby and I chose to buy premium services (and I used to have it when there were three levels -- I had the most costly) was a way to give back to Yahoo. A way to support the company so they'd keep groups going.

                        Not that they care. ;)!!!!!!