Re: Future of Yahoo Mail Plus?

  • Guillaume
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 1, 2007
      Well, I decided to give Yahoo Mail a last chance. I was a happy
      customer in the past and I like the new My Yahoo Page when i run
      adblock Plus for Firefox! i'm really nostalgic of the "not-so-old"
      days when everything looked clean and homogeneous. If they do nothing
      this year then yeh stay on GMail.

      As for the the Mail Plus plan, I wish they would add innovative
      features like a Fax-to-Mail feature for example. After all, they were
      able to provide phone numbers for the messenger so why not for fax
      huh? That'd really help me actually

      But whatever feature we wish we'd find in this package we all know one
      thing for sure: Yahoo Mail Plus really needs to be upgraded.
      I'm also looking forward GMail 2.0, i'm pretty excited about this new
      actually

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, webby <webbys@...> wrote:

      > Guillaume,
      > Just out of curiousity: What made you sign up?
      >
      > I had it until about two years ago. When Gmail started offering
      basically the same features for free I was wondering if anyone chose
      to pay anymore.

      who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

    • Todd Richardson
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 1, 2007

        Re: Disposible Addresses.  A friend who is a die hard Gmailer pointed this out to me:

        "Gmail doesn't offer traditional aliases, but you can receive messages sent to:

        your.username+any.alias@....

        For example, messages sent to

        jane.doe+notes@...
        are delivered to jane.doe@....

        You can set up filters to automatically direct these messages to Trash, apply a label or star, skip the inbox, or forward to another email account"

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Byers <smbyers@...> wrote:

        > Just to jump in on the conversation... I have had Yahoo! Mail Plus for several years now. I really like the ability to create disposable addresses and I haven't seen an ad is so long. Those are the two main reasons for me. I, too, wish they would add a little more for the money. I saw that Gmail was working on a "2.0" version. Not sure what it will look like, but I'm sure it will be pretty interesting.

      • Guillaume
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 1, 2007
          Yeh well, it's not really disposable addresses. Sure you can do that.
          I do it, but not for this purpose. everybody knows what your main ID
          is. Plus certain websites will not accept an email address that
          contain a + sign. For Gmail it's better to open another Gmail account
          and forwad it to your main account.

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Richardson" <toddgrich@...> wrote:

          > Re: Disposible Addresses. A friend who is a die hard Gmailer pointed
          > this out to me:
          >
          > "Gmail doesn't offer traditional aliases, but you can receive messages
          > sent to:
          >
          > your.username+any.alias@...
          > <mailto:your.username+any.alias@...> .
          >
          > For example, messages sent to
          >
          > jane.doe+notes@... <mailto:jane.doe+notes@...>
          > are delivered to jane.doe@... <mailto:jane.doe@...> .
          >
          > You can set up filters to automatically direct these messages to Trash,
          > apply a label or star, skip the inbox, or forward to another email
          > account"

        • fiction_scribe
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 1, 2007
            I too have Y!M+ and have had for a few years. I don't use
            my.yahoo.com anymore. Mainly I just use Y! for mail (disposable
            addresses rock!) and very occasionally games or music. I do wish they
            would give a little bit more for the money - like include premium
            access to Y! music &/or Y! games or even better having https instead
            of http for the beginning of the mail URL. (Ryan are you listening?)

            I do have a Gmail account but it is used as the contact e-mail for a
            website I manage (which is currently down due to some server issues -
            ugh). I use Y! for my personal stuff. I do use the iGoogle homepage
            and like that I can see what's in my Y!M+ (beta) Inbox without leaving
            iGoogle.

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Byers <smbyers@...> wrote:

            > Just to jump in on the conversation... I have had Yahoo! Mail Plus
            for several years now. I really like the ability to create disposable
            addresses and I haven't seen an ad is so long. Those are the two main
            reasons for me. I, too, wish they would add a little more for the
            money. I saw that Gmail was working on a "2.0" version. Not sure
            what it will look like, but I'm sure it will be pretty interesting.

            <snip>
          • too_much green_tea
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 1, 2007
              I've actually found the new My Yahoo! beta quite pleasing. I can share my front page layout with you if you'd like to give it a second chance LOL.

              Come and visit our Y-Mail FAQ
              http://blog.360.yahoo.com/YMailFAQ?list=1

              I too have Y!M+ and have had for a few years.  I don't use
              my.yahoo.com anymore.  Mainly I just use Y! for mail (disposable
              addresses rock!) and very occasionally games or music.  I do wish they
              would give a little bit more for the money - like include premium
              access to Y! music &/or Y! games or even better having https instead
              of http for the beginning of the mail URL.  (Ryan are you listening?)

              I do have a Gmail account but it is used as the contact e-mail for a
              website I manage (which is currently down due to some server issues -
              ugh).  I use Y! for my personal stuff.  I do use the iGoogle homepage
              and like that I can see what's in my Y!M+ (beta) Inbox without leaving
              iGoogle.

            • S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 1, 2007
                From: webby <webbys@...>
                I had it until about two years ago. When Gmail started offering basically the same features for free I was wondering if anyone chose to pay anymore.

                Gmail doesn't have ads?

                -- Jay Bienvenu
              • webby
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 1, 2007
                  They obviously DO. However, I find those small text-ads a little less intrusive compared to the colorful animations here.
                  Please, don't get me wrong..I love Yahoo and am an avid Yahoo user in general -- mail and blog in particular -- been so since 1997.
                  I only asked Guillaume because I thought perhaps they had added some nifty functions to the paid version.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 1, 2007
                    Hello, all!

                    Yahoo is my primary e-mail account, but it's rather embarrassing to
                    include it on a resume. Far more appealing to me is an address such as
                    "briancarr@...." I realize that's possible to do if I
                    switch from "Plus" to the $35 "Personal Address," but it's actually a
                    downgrade, since attachment size is limited to 10 MBs. So I'd be
                    paying more for less! (Who needs five non-disposable Yahoo addresses,
                    anyway?)

                    In light of the increasing feature parity between the free and "Plus"
                    versions, Yahoo could again distinguish Mail Plus by allowing its
                    subscribers one personal address at the current Plus cost. For many
                    users, I suspect it might help justify the price.

                    Sincerely,
                    Brian

                    --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Guillaume" <belfiore_guillaume@...> wrote:

                    > I just decided to sign up agin for Yahoo Mail Plus.
                    >
                    > However i do think they need to upgrade this offer.
                    > Gmail provides pop/forwards access for free (and they removed the "on
                    > behalf of Gmail tagline" a long time ago), 20 MB of attachment limit,
                    > and strong spam filters.
                    > Nobody really cares about the unlimited storage...
                    >
                    > i wish Yahoo would at least include an adless My Yahoo page which
                    > could maybe make me switch back to the Yahoo Network

                  • Sasafrass
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 2, 2007
                      I agree about the free pop access, it'd be nice to have that again. The 20 mb attachment limit that comes with plus is fine with me, do you need more? I don't need the unlimited storage since I never keep any emails, so it's pointless for me.....

                      Guillaume wrote:
                      I just decided to sign up agin for Yahoo Mail Plus.

                      However i do think they need to upgrade this offer.
                      Gmail provides pop/forwards access for free (and they removed the "on
                      behalf of Gmail tagline" a long time ago), 20 MB of attachment limit,
                      and strong spam filters.
                      Nobody really cares about the unlimited storage...

                      i wish Yahoo would at least include an adless My Yahoo page which
                      could maybe make me switch back to the Yahoo Network

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                          mailto:Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

                    • Sasafrass
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 2, 2007
                        I chose to pay for plus because I've preferred a desktop client over webmail. But the filters are an even bigger reason that I paid. Yahoo's filters are simply not good enough.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 2, 2007
                          I like that there are no ads, but mostly I paid to support Yahoo (and especially in the hope that they would keep groups free).  I hope that IMAP gets added one day.  I don't use POP3, so that's not a huge deal for me.  I don't have a lot of filters but I do use them (although more now than in the past), so that's nice.  I did use archive function, but since it doesn't handle big archives well, that's also not a huge draw.  I still haven't used the disposable address thing either.

                          I like the violet color in the new Yahoo mail.  A ew of the colors are way tooo bright for me to attempt first thing in the AM!  ;)!

                          L8!

                          Nancy J
                          Ordinaryfoolisnj@...

                          "I am not my hair. I am not this skin. I am the soul that lives within."
                          India Arie

                          "It only takes a moment to kill what we believe"
                          lyrics from "Time Falling Down"
                          www.cindyalexander.com

                          http://www.myspace.com/ordinaryfoolisnj

                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 2, 2007
                            I have Yahoo plus so I can forward my personal emails to Yahoo and have a reply from my personal address.  I tried using Gmail and when I send from my personal address through Gmail, it gives out my Gmail address as well as my personal address.

                            I'd love to be able to have the personal address feature included in Yahoo plus.

                            Sandy