Future of Yahoo Mail Plus?

  • Guillaume
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
      I just decided to sign up agin for Yahoo Mail Plus.

      However i do think they need to upgrade this offer.
      Gmail provides pop/forwards access for free (and they removed the "on
      behalf of Gmail tagline" a long time ago), 20 MB of attachment limit,
      and strong spam filters.
      Nobody really cares about the unlimited storage...

      i wish Yahoo would at least include an adless My Yahoo page which
      could maybe make me switch back to the Yahoo Network
    • gc_grp
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Guillaume" <belfiore_guillaume@...> wrote:

        > I just decided to sign up agin for Yahoo Mail Plus.
        >
        > However i do think they need to upgrade this offer.
        > Gmail provides pop/forwards access for free (and they removed the "on
        > behalf of Gmail tagline" a long time ago), 20 MB of attachment limit,
        > and strong spam filters.
        > Nobody really cares about the unlimited storage...
        >
        > i wish Yahoo would at least include an adless My Yahoo page which
        > could maybe make me switch back to the Yahoo Network

        it really sounds like Yahoo has to be more competitive. Although I am
        still currently with yahoo, I swing back and forth with going to
        Gmail. Both services have pluses, but I feel that gmail will become a
        superior service for most people if Yahoo doesn't start offering some
        more features as standard/free like some of their competitors.
      • too_much green_tea
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
          I've always wonder how it works. Must you sign up with local currencies, or can it be done with USD?

          Come and visit our Y-Mail FAQ
          http://blog.360.yahoo.com/YMailFAQ?list=1

          I just decided to sign up agin for Yahoo Mail Plus.

          However i do think they need to upgrade this offer.
          Gmail provides pop/forwards access for free (and they removed the "on
          behalf of Gmail tagline" a long time ago), 20 MB of attachment limit,
          and strong spam filters.
          Nobody really cares about the unlimited storage...

          i wish Yahoo would at least include an adless My Yahoo page which
          could maybe make me switch back to the Yahoo Network

          Got a little couch potato?
        • Guillaume
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
            You can sign up for yahoo Mail plus with a credit card. By defualt
            it's in USD but some country have their own price.

            <toomuchgreentea@...> wrote:

            > I've always wonder how it works. Must you sign up with local
            currencies, or can it be done with USD?

            > Come and visit our Y-Mail FAQ
            > http://blog.360.yahoo.com/YMailFAQ?list=1

            Yahoo! FareChase.
            > http://farechase.yahoo.com/

          • too_much green_tea
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
              That's nice. With the USD trending downward and all, the cost becomes much cheaper than even just a year ago. :)

              <toomuchgreentea@...> wrote:

              > I've always wonder how it works. Must you sign up with local
              currencies, or can it be done with USD?

              > Come and visit our Y-Mail FAQ
              > http://blog.360.yahoo.com/YMailFAQ?list=1

              Yahoo! Groups Links

                  mailto:Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

              Got a little couch potato?
            • webby
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                Guillaume,
                Just out of curiousity: What made you sign up?

                I had it until about two years ago. When Gmail started offering basically the same features for free I was wondering if anyone chose to pay anymore.

                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 30, 2007
                  Just to jump in on the conversation... I have had Yahoo! Mail Plus for several years now.  I really like the ability to create disposable addresses and I haven't seen an ad is so long.  Those are the two main reasons for me.  I, too, wish they would add a little more for the money.  I saw that Gmail was working on a "2.0" version.  Not sure what it will look like, but I'm sure it will be pretty interesting.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 1, 2007
                    Well, I decided to give Yahoo Mail a last chance. I was a happy
                    customer in the past and I like the new My Yahoo Page when i run
                    adblock Plus for Firefox! i'm really nostalgic of the "not-so-old"
                    days when everything looked clean and homogeneous. If they do nothing
                    this year then yeh stay on GMail.

                    As for the the Mail Plus plan, I wish they would add innovative
                    features like a Fax-to-Mail feature for example. After all, they were
                    able to provide phone numbers for the messenger so why not for fax
                    huh? That'd really help me actually

                    But whatever feature we wish we'd find in this package we all know one
                    thing for sure: Yahoo Mail Plus really needs to be upgraded.
                    I'm also looking forward GMail 2.0, i'm pretty excited about this new
                    actually

                    --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, webby <webbys@...> wrote:

                    > Guillaume,
                    > Just out of curiousity: What made you sign up?
                    >
                    > I had it until about two years ago. When Gmail started offering
                    basically the same features for free I was wondering if anyone chose
                    to pay anymore.

                    who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                  • Todd Richardson
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 1, 2007

                      Re: Disposible Addresses.  A friend who is a die hard Gmailer pointed this out to me:

                      "Gmail doesn't offer traditional aliases, but you can receive messages sent to:

                      your.username+any.alias@....

                      For example, messages sent to

                      jane.doe+notes@...
                      are delivered to jane.doe@....

                      You can set up filters to automatically direct these messages to Trash, apply a label or star, skip the inbox, or forward to another email account"

                      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Byers <smbyers@...> wrote:

                      > Just to jump in on the conversation... I have had Yahoo! Mail Plus for several years now. I really like the ability to create disposable addresses and I haven't seen an ad is so long. Those are the two main reasons for me. I, too, wish they would add a little more for the money. I saw that Gmail was working on a "2.0" version. Not sure what it will look like, but I'm sure it will be pretty interesting.

                    • Guillaume
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 1, 2007
                        Yeh well, it's not really disposable addresses. Sure you can do that.
                        I do it, but not for this purpose. everybody knows what your main ID
                        is. Plus certain websites will not accept an email address that
                        contain a + sign. For Gmail it's better to open another Gmail account
                        and forwad it to your main account.

                        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Richardson" <toddgrich@...> wrote:

                        > Re: Disposible Addresses. A friend who is a die hard Gmailer pointed
                        > this out to me:
                        >
                        > "Gmail doesn't offer traditional aliases, but you can receive messages
                        > sent to:
                        >
                        > your.username+any.alias@...
                        > <mailto:your.username+any.alias@...> .
                        >
                        > For example, messages sent to
                        >
                        > jane.doe+notes@... <mailto:jane.doe+notes@...>
                        > are delivered to jane.doe@... <mailto:jane.doe@...> .
                        >
                        > You can set up filters to automatically direct these messages to Trash,
                        > apply a label or star, skip the inbox, or forward to another email
                        > account"

                      • fiction_scribe
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 1, 2007
                          I too have Y!M+ and have had for a few years. I don't use
                          my.yahoo.com anymore. Mainly I just use Y! for mail (disposable
                          addresses rock!) and very occasionally games or music. I do wish they
                          would give a little bit more for the money - like include premium
                          access to Y! music &/or Y! games or even better having https instead
                          of http for the beginning of the mail URL. (Ryan are you listening?)

                          I do have a Gmail account but it is used as the contact e-mail for a
                          website I manage (which is currently down due to some server issues -
                          ugh). I use Y! for my personal stuff. I do use the iGoogle homepage
                          and like that I can see what's in my Y!M+ (beta) Inbox without leaving
                          iGoogle.

                          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Byers <smbyers@...> wrote:

                          > Just to jump in on the conversation... I have had Yahoo! Mail Plus
                          for several years now. I really like the ability to create disposable
                          addresses and I haven't seen an ad is so long. Those are the two main
                          reasons for me. I, too, wish they would add a little more for the
                          money. I saw that Gmail was working on a "2.0" version. Not sure
                          what it will look like, but I'm sure it will be pretty interesting.

                          <snip>
                        • too_much green_tea
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 1, 2007
                            I've actually found the new My Yahoo! beta quite pleasing. I can share my front page layout with you if you'd like to give it a second chance LOL.

                            Come and visit our Y-Mail FAQ
                            http://blog.360.yahoo.com/YMailFAQ?list=1

                            I too have Y!M+ and have had for a few years.  I don't use
                            my.yahoo.com anymore.  Mainly I just use Y! for mail (disposable
                            addresses rock!) and very occasionally games or music.  I do wish they
                            would give a little bit more for the money - like include premium
                            access to Y! music &/or Y! games or even better having https instead
                            of http for the beginning of the mail URL.  (Ryan are you listening?)

                            I do have a Gmail account but it is used as the contact e-mail for a
                            website I manage (which is currently down due to some server issues -
                            ugh).  I use Y! for my personal stuff.  I do use the iGoogle homepage
                            and like that I can see what's in my Y!M+ (beta) Inbox without leaving
                            iGoogle.

                          • S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 1, 2007
                              From: webby <webbys@...>
                              I had it until about two years ago. When Gmail started offering basically the same features for free I was wondering if anyone chose to pay anymore.

                              Gmail doesn't have ads?

                              -- Jay Bienvenu
                            • webby
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 1, 2007
                                They obviously DO. However, I find those small text-ads a little less intrusive compared to the colorful animations here.
                                Please, don't get me wrong..I love Yahoo and am an avid Yahoo user in general -- mail and blog in particular -- been so since 1997.
                                I only asked Guillaume because I thought perhaps they had added some nifty functions to the paid version.

                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 1, 2007
                                  Hello, all!

                                  Yahoo is my primary e-mail account, but it's rather embarrassing to
                                  include it on a resume. Far more appealing to me is an address such as
                                  "briancarr@...." I realize that's possible to do if I
                                  switch from "Plus" to the $35 "Personal Address," but it's actually a
                                  downgrade, since attachment size is limited to 10 MBs. So I'd be
                                  paying more for less! (Who needs five non-disposable Yahoo addresses,
                                  anyway?)

                                  In light of the increasing feature parity between the free and "Plus"
                                  versions, Yahoo could again distinguish Mail Plus by allowing its
                                  subscribers one personal address at the current Plus cost. For many
                                  users, I suspect it might help justify the price.

                                  Sincerely,
                                  Brian

                                  --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Guillaume" <belfiore_guillaume@...> wrote:

                                  > I just decided to sign up agin for Yahoo Mail Plus.
                                  >
                                  > However i do think they need to upgrade this offer.
                                  > Gmail provides pop/forwards access for free (and they removed the "on
                                  > behalf of Gmail tagline" a long time ago), 20 MB of attachment limit,
                                  > and strong spam filters.
                                  > Nobody really cares about the unlimited storage...
                                  >
                                  > i wish Yahoo would at least include an adless My Yahoo page which
                                  > could maybe make me switch back to the Yahoo Network

                                • Sasafrass

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 2, 2007
                                      I chose to pay for plus because I've preferred a desktop client over webmail. But the filters are an even bigger reason that I paid. Yahoo's filters are simply not good enough.

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 2, 2007
                                        I like that there are no ads, but mostly I paid to support Yahoo (and especially in the hope that they would keep groups free).  I hope that IMAP gets added one day.  I don't use POP3, so that's not a huge deal for me.  I don't have a lot of filters but I do use them (although more now than in the past), so that's nice.  I did use archive function, but since it doesn't handle big archives well, that's also not a huge draw.  I still haven't used the disposable address thing either.

                                        I like the violet color in the new Yahoo mail.  A ew of the colors are way tooo bright for me to attempt first thing in the AM!  ;)!

                                        L8!

                                        Nancy J
                                        Ordinaryfoolisnj@...

                                        "I am not my hair. I am not this skin. I am the soul that lives within."
                                        India Arie

                                        "It only takes a moment to kill what we believe"
                                        lyrics from "Time Falling Down"
                                        www.cindyalexander.com

                                        http://www.myspace.com/ordinaryfoolisnj

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Oct 2, 2007
                                          I have Yahoo plus so I can forward my personal emails to Yahoo and have a reply from my personal address.  I tried using Gmail and when I send from my personal address through Gmail, it gives out my Gmail address as well as my personal address.

                                          I'd love to be able to have the personal address feature included in Yahoo plus.

                                          Sandy