Re: [Y-Mail] Searching the Spam folder

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 28, 2007
      Does your spam folder have that many messages because you don't empty it on a regular basis or are you getting that much spam daily?  I empty the spam folder on a daily basis once I check to make sure nothing got put in there by accident.

      Jeff
      Today is the tomorrow you dreamed about yesterday

      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 28, 2007
        Once in a while one might want to go in and delete the SPAM messages.
        Then there wouldn't be thousands of SPAM messages cluttering up one's
        SPAM folder and therefore obscuring non-SPAM messages mistakenly
        caught in the SPAM filter.

        just an idea
        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Schutte" <cschutte@...> wrote:

        > Is there any way to search the Spam folder? It drives me nuts when
        > someone says they sent me something and I can't find it, so I want to
        > check the Spam folder. But it's full of thousands of Spam messages so
        > I want to search for it. But the mail search box omits the Spam
        > folder. Advanced search doesn't seem to offer it either. Am I
        missing it?

        > Thanks,
        > Chris
      • S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 28, 2007
          So you think that instead of extending to the Spam folder a feature that is already part of the program and excluded from it not by technical limitation but by an abritrary decision, Yahoo should just expect us to weed through unwanted email ourselves? To paraphrase a cliche, the spammers have won.

          Jay Bienvenu 360.yahoo.com/bienvenunet
          bienvenunet@... flickr.com/photos/bienvenunet

          Once in a while one might want to go in and delete the SPAM messages.
          Then there wouldn't be thousands of SPAM messages cluttering up one's
          SPAM folder and therefore obscuring non-SPAM messages mistakenly
          caught in the SPAM filter.

          just an idea
          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Schutte" <cschutte@...> wrote:

          > Is there any way to search the Spam folder? It drives me nuts when
          > someone says they sent me something and I can't find it, so I want to
          > check the Spam folder. But it's full of thousands of Spam messages so
          > I want to search for it. But the mail search box omits the Spam
          > folder. Advanced search doesn't seem to offer it either. Am I
          missing it?

          > Thanks,
          > Chris

          Yahoo! Groups Links

              mailto:Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

        • too_much green_tea
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 28, 2007
            Am I in the minority for not wanting spams included in searches? What would be the point of ridding them if I'd have to read them and view the attached pictures (in the snippets) after searches?

            I have a feeling that many may disagree, but I thought the column sorts are more than enough to locate emails in the spam folder. If I knew an email is missing, chances are I'll also have some ideas as to who sent it, and when it was sent. That two pieces of info should make the email easy to locate with either of the corresponding columns sorted.

            Come and visit our Y-Mail FAQ
            http://blog.360.yahoo.com/YMailFAQ?list=1

            So you think that instead of extending to the Spam folder a feature that is already part of the program and excluded from it not by technical limitation but by an abritrary decision, Yahoo should just expect us to weed through unwanted email ourselves? To paraphrase a cliche, the spammers have won.

            Jay Bienvenu 360.yahoo.com/bienvenunet
            bienvenunet@... flickr.com/photos/bienvenunet

            Once in a while one might want to go in and delete the SPAM messages.
            Then there wouldn't be thousands of SPAM messages cluttering up one's
            SPAM folder and therefore obscuring non-SPAM messages mistakenly
            caught in the SPAM filter.

            just an idea
            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Schutte" <cschutte@...> wrote:

            > Is there any way to search the Spam folder? It drives me nuts when
            > someone says they sent me something and I can't find it, so I want to
            > check the Spam folder. But it's full of thousands of Spam messages so
            > I want to search for it. But the mail search box omits the Spam
            > folder. Advanced search doesn't seem to offer it either. Am I
            missing it?

            > Thanks,
            > Chris

            Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
          • Brent

              So you think that instead of extending to the Spam folder a feature that is already part of the program and excluded from it not by technical limitation but by an abritrary decision, Yahoo should just expect us to weed through unwanted email ourselves? To paraphrase a cliche, the spammers have won.

              Jay Bienvenu 360.yahoo.com/bienvenunet
              bienvenunet@... flickr.com/photos/bienvenunet

              Once in a while one might want to go in and delete the SPAM messages.
              Then there wouldn't be thousands of SPAM messages cluttering up one's
              SPAM folder and therefore obscuring non-SPAM messages mistakenly
              caught in the SPAM filter.

              just an idea
              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Schutte" <cschutte@...> wrote:

              > Is there any way to search the Spam folder? It drives me nuts when
              > someone says they sent me something and I can't find it, so I want to
              > check the Spam folder. But it's full of thousands of Spam messages so
              > I want to search for it. But the mail search box omits the Spam
              > folder. Advanced search doesn't seem to offer it either. Am I
              missing it?

              > Thanks,
              > Chris

              Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

            • Andy Wright
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 28, 2007
                Maybe they could use a prefix in the search box, such as spam:
                search-term. I keep my spam filtered mail for one month because I
                have accountability if I do not receive or have a copy of an e-mail
                that was indeed sent and should have been responded too. Features
                such as this type of search does not have to hinder common usage of
                Mail Beta, by simply adding a search keyword as I described above. I
                do indeed, highly, believe this should be an available feature, with
                any e-mail interface, to search everything that is available in your
                e-mail account.

                <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48254/*http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/_ylc=X3oDMTI5MGx2aThyBF9TAzIxMTU1MDAzNTIEX3MDMzk2NTQ1MTAzBHNlYwNCQUJwaWxsYXJfTklfMzYwBHNsawNQcm9kdWN0X3F1ZXN0aW9uX3BhZ2U-?link=list&sid=396545469>from
                > > someone who knows.
                > > Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

              • Ciprian Murariu
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 29, 2007
                  The way Yahoo!Mail works right now, I totally subscribe to
                  too_much_green_tea and Brent opinions.
                  Whoever keeps spam for months in his account, either doesn't care
                  about it or checks the account on a very infrequent basis. For the
                  second ones, I'd care if they do that because of their non-regular
                  internet connection. (dial-up or such). For the other ones... Let's
                  have it as it is. Imagine the spam folder gets emptied automatically
                  each day (not to mention the option to directly delete them and not
                  save to spam folder). Then what would you search for?
                  Just my opinion...
                  Ciprian

                • James
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 29, 2007
                    I'd like to be able to search spam (as well as trash) or any other
                    folder individually. This could be done by having a set-up search
                    prefix: "folder".

                    --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Schutte" <cschutte@...> wrote:

                    > Is there any way to search the Spam folder? It drives me nuts when
                    > someone says they sent me something and I can't find it, so I want to
                    > check the Spam folder. But it's full of thousands of Spam messages so
                    > I want to search for it. But the mail search box omits the Spam
                    > folder. Advanced search doesn't seem to offer it either. Am I
                    missing it?

                    > Thanks,
                    > Chris

                  • S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 29, 2007
                      From: too_much green_tea <toomuchgreentea@...>
                      Am I in the minority for not wanting spams included in searches? What would be the point of ridding them if I'd have to read them and view the attached pictures (in the snippets) after searches?
                      A simple check box for "Include Spam folder" (defaulting to "No") will solve this problem.

                      -- Jay Bienvenu
                    • James
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 29, 2007
                        I disagree. I don't want spam contents included in all searches. I
                        just want to selectively be able to include the spam folder in a
                        search (would mostly be used when expecting an Email and think may
                        have been filtered to spam folder). The best way I see for
                        accomplishing this is a "folder" search keyword. This could be used
                        to search spam, trash, or other individually specified folders. It
                        could also be used multiple times in one search to specify a few
                        folders to search only. This implementation would be completely
                        unnoticeable to those who don't want to search spam folder, and would
                        even create a cool feature for searching other folders.

                        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "S. J. \"Jay\" Bienvenu"
                        <bienvenunet@...> wrote:

                        > From: too_much green_tea <toomuchgreentea@...>
                        > Am I in the minority for not wanting spams included in searches?
                        What would be the point of ridding them if I'd have to read them and
                        view the attached pictures (in the snippets) after searches?

                        > A simple check box for "Include Spam folder" (defaulting to "No")
                        will solve this problem.

                        > -- Jay Bienvenu

                      • S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 30, 2007
                          From: James <jakk9406@...>
                          I disagree.  I don't want spam contents included in all searches.  I
                          just want to selectively be able to include the spam folder in a
                          search (would mostly be used when expecting an Email and think may
                          have been filtered to spam folder).

                          That's precisely what I proposed.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 30, 2007
                            I think there's actually a darker side to searching spams.

                            It's one thing to screen spams in raw binaries (I'm guessing) for signatures, it's an other if a program actually needs to process them (rescaling the images, extracting unusually long text from subject line etc.) and render them for display (e.g. in the snippet). In the latter case, weaknesses in the processing/rendering engines can be exploited, while in the first case it's mostly harmless.

                            I just don't think "spams" should be available for searching. Visual identification by the recipient is crucial once an email have been labeled as such.

                            <bienvenunet@...> wrote:
                            > A simple check box for "Include Spam folder" (defaulting to "No")
                            will solve this problem.
                            -- Jay Bienvenu

                          • Zachary Fisk
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 2, 2007
                              I too quickly review the spam folder and empty a couple of times a day. But I would like to have the ability to search the spam folder and trash folder (I'd like to a search in this folder, and when I'm in the spam or trash then it would search those folders).  Though over all I find very often the search doesn't work (return all the applicable results) where it should anyhow.

                              Maybe they could use a prefix in the search box, such as spam:
                              search-term. I keep my spam filtered mail for one month because I
                              have accountability if I do not receive or have a copy of an e-mail
                              that was indeed sent and should have been responded too. Features
                              such as this type of search does not have to hinder common usage of
                              Mail Beta, by simply adding a search keyword as I described above. I
                              do indeed, highly, believe this should be an available feature, with
                              any e-mail interface, to search everything that is available in your
                              e-mail account.

                              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, Brent <flapdoodle@ ...> wrote:

                              > I also do not want the search to include the spam folder. I quickly
                              scan the
                              > spam folder and empty it every day.
                              >
                              > Brent
                              >

                              > On 9/28/07, too_much green_tea <toomuchgreentea@ ...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Am I in the minority for not wanting spams included in searches? What
                              > > would be the point of ridding them if I'd have to read them and
                              view the
                              > > attached pictures (in the snippets) after searches?
                              > >
                              > > I have a feeling that many may disagree, but I thought the column
                              sorts
                              > > are more than enough to locate emails in the spam folder. If I
                              knew an email
                              > > is missing, chances are I'll also have some ideas as to who sent
                              it, and
                              > > when it was sent. That two pieces of info should make the email
                              easy to
                              > > locate with either of the corresponding columns sorted.
                              > >
                              > > ------------ --------- ---------
                              > > Come and visit our Y-Mail FAQ
                              <http://blog. 360.yahoo. com/YMailFAQ? list=1>
                              > > http://blog. 360.yahoo. com/YMailFAQ? list=1

                            • jcwalnut
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 8, 2008
                                Reviving an old thread (don't you hate that)...

                                I just found myself wishing I could search my spam folder. A lot of
                                my spam comes from the same address(es), which seems to be a growing
                                trend for the spam I receive. For instance a lot of my recent spam
                                has been coming from www16.dl930.com. If I could search my spam
                                folder, I could see what addresses are regularly sending me spam and
                                block those domains. That way, my spam folder is smaller and I can
                                more quickly scan for mis-identified spam.

                                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Schutte" <cschutte@...> wrote:

                                > Is there any way to search the Spam folder? It drives me nuts when
                                > someone says they sent me something and I can't find it, so I want to
                                > check the Spam folder. But it's full of thousands of Spam messages so
                                > I want to search for it. But the mail search box omits the Spam
                                > folder. Advanced search doesn't seem to offer it either. Am I
                                missing it?

                                > Thanks,
                                > Chris

                              • John Bartley
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 11, 2008
                                  --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com , "Chris Schutte" <cschutte@...> wrote:

                                  > Is there any way to search the Spam folder? It drives me nuts when
                                  > someone says they sent me something and I can't find it, so I want to
                                  > check the Spam folder. But it's full of thousands of Spam messages so
                                  > I want to search for it. But the mail search box omits the Spam
                                  > folder. Advanced search doesn't seem to offer it either. Am I
                                  missing it?

                                  > Thanks,
                                  > Chris

                                  Have you tried moving the spams to a new folder and searching in the folder?