Searching the Spam folder

  • Chris Schutte
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 28 7:28 AM
      Is there any way to search the Spam folder? It drives me nuts when
      someone says they sent me something and I can't find it, so I want to
      check the Spam folder. But it's full of thousands of Spam messages so
      I want to search for it. But the mail search box omits the Spam
      folder. Advanced search doesn't seem to offer it either. Am I missing it?

      Thanks,
      Chris
    • too_much green_tea
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 28 8:41 AM
        May be you can get around it by moving all the messages into a temp folder, then "spam" them all again once you're done searching?

        The only problem is that I don't really know how that would affect the spam filters, so you'll have to try it at your own risk ;) (though if I had to guess, it probably won't change a thing).

        Come and visit our Y-Mail FAQ
        http://blog.360.yahoo.com/YMailFAQ?list=1

        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 28 8:47 AM
          Does your spam folder have that many messages because you don't empty it on a regular basis or are you getting that much spam daily?  I empty the spam folder on a daily basis once I check to make sure nothing got put in there by accident.

          Jeff
          Today is the tomorrow you dreamed about yesterday

          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 28 1:05 PM
            Once in a while one might want to go in and delete the SPAM messages.
            Then there wouldn't be thousands of SPAM messages cluttering up one's
            SPAM folder and therefore obscuring non-SPAM messages mistakenly
            caught in the SPAM filter.

            just an idea
            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Schutte" <cschutte@...> wrote:

            > Is there any way to search the Spam folder? It drives me nuts when
            > someone says they sent me something and I can't find it, so I want to
            > check the Spam folder. But it's full of thousands of Spam messages so
            > I want to search for it. But the mail search box omits the Spam
            > folder. Advanced search doesn't seem to offer it either. Am I
            missing it?

            > Thanks,
            > Chris
          • S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 28 2:21 PM
              So you think that instead of extending to the Spam folder a feature that is already part of the program and excluded from it not by technical limitation but by an abritrary decision, Yahoo should just expect us to weed through unwanted email ourselves? To paraphrase a cliche, the spammers have won.

              Jay Bienvenu 360.yahoo.com/bienvenunet
              bienvenunet@... flickr.com/photos/bienvenunet

              Once in a while one might want to go in and delete the SPAM messages.
              Then there wouldn't be thousands of SPAM messages cluttering up one's
              SPAM folder and therefore obscuring non-SPAM messages mistakenly
              caught in the SPAM filter.

              just an idea
              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Schutte" <cschutte@...> wrote:

              > Is there any way to search the Spam folder? It drives me nuts when
              > someone says they sent me something and I can't find it, so I want to
              > check the Spam folder. But it's full of thousands of Spam messages so
              > I want to search for it. But the mail search box omits the Spam
              > folder. Advanced search doesn't seem to offer it either. Am I
              missing it?

              > Thanks,
              > Chris

              Yahoo! Groups Links

                  mailto:Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

            • too_much green_tea
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 28 3:23 PM
                Am I in the minority for not wanting spams included in searches? What would be the point of ridding them if I'd have to read them and view the attached pictures (in the snippets) after searches?

                I have a feeling that many may disagree, but I thought the column sorts are more than enough to locate emails in the spam folder. If I knew an email is missing, chances are I'll also have some ideas as to who sent it, and when it was sent. That two pieces of info should make the email easy to locate with either of the corresponding columns sorted.

                Come and visit our Y-Mail FAQ
                http://blog.360.yahoo.com/YMailFAQ?list=1

                So you think that instead of extending to the Spam folder a feature that is already part of the program and excluded from it not by technical limitation but by an abritrary decision, Yahoo should just expect us to weed through unwanted email ourselves? To paraphrase a cliche, the spammers have won.

                Jay Bienvenu 360.yahoo.com/bienvenunet
                bienvenunet@... flickr.com/photos/bienvenunet

                Once in a while one might want to go in and delete the SPAM messages.
                Then there wouldn't be thousands of SPAM messages cluttering up one's
                SPAM folder and therefore obscuring non-SPAM messages mistakenly
                caught in the SPAM filter.

                just an idea
                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Schutte" <cschutte@...> wrote:

                > Is there any way to search the Spam folder? It drives me nuts when
                > someone says they sent me something and I can't find it, so I want to
                > check the Spam folder. But it's full of thousands of Spam messages so
                > I want to search for it. But the mail search box omits the Spam
                > folder. Advanced search doesn't seem to offer it either. Am I
                missing it?

                > Thanks,
                > Chris

                Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
              • Brent

                  So you think that instead of extending to the Spam folder a feature that is already part of the program and excluded from it not by technical limitation but by an abritrary decision, Yahoo should just expect us to weed through unwanted email ourselves? To paraphrase a cliche, the spammers have won.

                  Jay Bienvenu 360.yahoo.com/bienvenunet
                  bienvenunet@... flickr.com/photos/bienvenunet

                  Once in a while one might want to go in and delete the SPAM messages.
                  Then there wouldn't be thousands of SPAM messages cluttering up one's
                  SPAM folder and therefore obscuring non-SPAM messages mistakenly
                  caught in the SPAM filter.

                  just an idea
                  --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Schutte" <cschutte@...> wrote:

                  > Is there any way to search the Spam folder? It drives me nuts when
                  > someone says they sent me something and I can't find it, so I want to
                  > check the Spam folder. But it's full of thousands of Spam messages so
                  > I want to search for it. But the mail search box omits the Spam
                  > folder. Advanced search doesn't seem to offer it either. Am I
                  missing it?

                  > Thanks,
                  > Chris

                  Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                • Andy Wright
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 28 4:57 PM
                    Maybe they could use a prefix in the search box, such as spam:
                    search-term. I keep my spam filtered mail for one month because I
                    have accountability if I do not receive or have a copy of an e-mail
                    that was indeed sent and should have been responded too. Features
                    such as this type of search does not have to hinder common usage of
                    Mail Beta, by simply adding a search keyword as I described above. I
                    do indeed, highly, believe this should be an available feature, with
                    any e-mail interface, to search everything that is available in your
                    e-mail account.

                    <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48254/*http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/_ylc=X3oDMTI5MGx2aThyBF9TAzIxMTU1MDAzNTIEX3MDMzk2NTQ1MTAzBHNlYwNCQUJwaWxsYXJfTklfMzYwBHNsawNQcm9kdWN0X3F1ZXN0aW9uX3BhZ2U-?link=list&sid=396545469>from
                    > > someone who knows.
                    > > Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                  • Ciprian Murariu
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 29 5:50 AM
                      The way Yahoo!Mail works right now, I totally subscribe to
                      too_much_green_tea and Brent opinions.
                      Whoever keeps spam for months in his account, either doesn't care
                      about it or checks the account on a very infrequent basis. For the
                      second ones, I'd care if they do that because of their non-regular
                      internet connection. (dial-up or such). For the other ones... Let's
                      have it as it is. Imagine the spam folder gets emptied automatically
                      each day (not to mention the option to directly delete them and not
                      save to spam folder). Then what would you search for?
                      Just my opinion...
                      Ciprian

                    • James
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 29 10:49 AM
                        I'd like to be able to search spam (as well as trash) or any other
                        folder individually. This could be done by having a set-up search
                        prefix: "folder".

                        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Schutte" <cschutte@...> wrote:

                        > Is there any way to search the Spam folder? It drives me nuts when
                        > someone says they sent me something and I can't find it, so I want to
                        > check the Spam folder. But it's full of thousands of Spam messages so
                        > I want to search for it. But the mail search box omits the Spam
                        > folder. Advanced search doesn't seem to offer it either. Am I
                        missing it?

                        > Thanks,
                        > Chris

                      • S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 29 4:28 PM
                          From: too_much green_tea <toomuchgreentea@...>
                          Am I in the minority for not wanting spams included in searches? What would be the point of ridding them if I'd have to read them and view the attached pictures (in the snippets) after searches?
                          A simple check box for "Include Spam folder" (defaulting to "No") will solve this problem.

                          -- Jay Bienvenu
                        • James
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 29 6:25 PM
                            I disagree. I don't want spam contents included in all searches. I
                            just want to selectively be able to include the spam folder in a
                            search (would mostly be used when expecting an Email and think may
                            have been filtered to spam folder). The best way I see for
                            accomplishing this is a "folder" search keyword. This could be used
                            to search spam, trash, or other individually specified folders. It
                            could also be used multiple times in one search to specify a few
                            folders to search only. This implementation would be completely
                            unnoticeable to those who don't want to search spam folder, and would
                            even create a cool feature for searching other folders.

                            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "S. J. \"Jay\" Bienvenu"
                            <bienvenunet@...> wrote:

                            > From: too_much green_tea <toomuchgreentea@...>
                            > Am I in the minority for not wanting spams included in searches?
                            What would be the point of ridding them if I'd have to read them and
                            view the attached pictures (in the snippets) after searches?

                            > A simple check box for "Include Spam folder" (defaulting to "No")
                            will solve this problem.

                            > -- Jay Bienvenu

                          • S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 30 9:23 AM
                              From: James <jakk9406@...>
                              I disagree.  I don't want spam contents included in all searches.  I
                              just want to selectively be able to include the spam folder in a
                              search (would mostly be used when expecting an Email and think may
                              have been filtered to spam folder).

                              That's precisely what I proposed.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 30 10:28 AM
                                I think there's actually a darker side to searching spams.

                                It's one thing to screen spams in raw binaries (I'm guessing) for signatures, it's an other if a program actually needs to process them (rescaling the images, extracting unusually long text from subject line etc.) and render them for display (e.g. in the snippet). In the latter case, weaknesses in the processing/rendering engines can be exploited, while in the first case it's mostly harmless.

                                I just don't think "spams" should be available for searching. Visual identification by the recipient is crucial once an email have been labeled as such.

                                <bienvenunet@...> wrote:
                                > A simple check box for "Include Spam folder" (defaulting to "No")
                                will solve this problem.
                                -- Jay Bienvenu

                              • Zachary Fisk
                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 2, 2007
                                  I too quickly review the spam folder and empty a couple of times a day. But I would like to have the ability to search the spam folder and trash folder (I'd like to a search in this folder, and when I'm in the spam or trash then it would search those folders).  Though over all I find very often the search doesn't work (return all the applicable results) where it should anyhow.

                                  Maybe they could use a prefix in the search box, such as spam:
                                  search-term. I keep my spam filtered mail for one month because I
                                  have accountability if I do not receive or have a copy of an e-mail
                                  that was indeed sent and should have been responded too. Features
                                  such as this type of search does not have to hinder common usage of
                                  Mail Beta, by simply adding a search keyword as I described above. I
                                  do indeed, highly, believe this should be an available feature, with
                                  any e-mail interface, to search everything that is available in your
                                  e-mail account.

                                  --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, Brent <flapdoodle@ ...> wrote:

                                  > I also do not want the search to include the spam folder. I quickly
                                  scan the
                                  > spam folder and empty it every day.
                                  >
                                  > Brent
                                  >

                                  > On 9/28/07, too_much green_tea <toomuchgreentea@ ...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Am I in the minority for not wanting spams included in searches? What
                                  > > would be the point of ridding them if I'd have to read them and
                                  view the
                                  > > attached pictures (in the snippets) after searches?
                                  > >
                                  > > I have a feeling that many may disagree, but I thought the column
                                  sorts
                                  > > are more than enough to locate emails in the spam folder. If I
                                  knew an email
                                  > > is missing, chances are I'll also have some ideas as to who sent
                                  it, and
                                  > > when it was sent. That two pieces of info should make the email
                                  easy to
                                  > > locate with either of the corresponding columns sorted.
                                  > >
                                  > > ------------ --------- ---------
                                  > > Come and visit our Y-Mail FAQ
                                  <http://blog. 360.yahoo. com/YMailFAQ? list=1>
                                  > > http://blog. 360.yahoo. com/YMailFAQ? list=1

                                • jcwalnut
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 8 4:24 PM
                                    Reviving an old thread (don't you hate that)...

                                    I just found myself wishing I could search my spam folder. A lot of
                                    my spam comes from the same address(es), which seems to be a growing
                                    trend for the spam I receive. For instance a lot of my recent spam
                                    has been coming from www16.dl930.com. If I could search my spam
                                    folder, I could see what addresses are regularly sending me spam and
                                    block those domains. That way, my spam folder is smaller and I can
                                    more quickly scan for mis-identified spam.

                                    --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Schutte" <cschutte@...> wrote:

                                    > Is there any way to search the Spam folder? It drives me nuts when
                                    > someone says they sent me something and I can't find it, so I want to
                                    > check the Spam folder. But it's full of thousands of Spam messages so
                                    > I want to search for it. But the mail search box omits the Spam
                                    > folder. Advanced search doesn't seem to offer it either. Am I
                                    missing it?

                                    > Thanks,
                                    > Chris

                                  • John Bartley
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Sep 11 11:06 AM
                                      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com , "Chris Schutte" <cschutte@...> wrote:

                                      > Is there any way to search the Spam folder? It drives me nuts when
                                      > someone says they sent me something and I can't find it, so I want to
                                      > check the Spam folder. But it's full of thousands of Spam messages so
                                      > I want to search for it. But the mail search box omits the Spam
                                      > folder. Advanced search doesn't seem to offer it either. Am I
                                      missing it?

                                      > Thanks,
                                      > Chris

                                      Have you tried moving the spams to a new folder and searching in the folder?