Making Yahoo! Mail default.

  • Christian Dysthe
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2 12:58 AM
      Hi,

      I always want to make Yahoo! Mail default when I build a new computer. I want Yahoo! Mail to catch "mailto" links and to open when you want to send links from your browser etc. Previously there was a little utility available from Yahoo! which could do that, but now the only way is to install Yahoo! Messenger. So I install Yahoo! Messenger with the Yahoo! Mail add-on, and then I have to uninstall the messenger part again since I do not want multiple IM clients installed and Yahoo! Messenger doesn't support Skype where all my friends and colleagues are. On top of which Yahoo! Mail now has the Messenger built in, but without the default mail option.

      Does anyone here know why Yahoo! stopped making the utility available? And why is it not an option in Yahoo! Mail itself to make it default? I really do not understand why an important aspect of Yahoo! Mail, and any e-mail client for that matter, is an add-on in another program. Am I missing something obvious?

      --
      Christian
    • Ciprian Murariu
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3 7:16 AM
        That option appears on your computer (Internet options and taskbar
        properties/settings) ONLY after you install Yahoo! services on your
        computer. If you skipped them and don't have them, just reinstall
        your Yahoo Messenger and make sure you check the box for Yahoo
        Services - then look inot IE/Tools/Internet Options/Programs - tada!
        Ciprian M.

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Christian Dysthe <christian@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I always want to make Yahoo! Mail default when I build a new
        computer. I want Yahoo! Mail to catch "mailto" links and to open when
        you want to send links from your browser etc. Previously there was a
        little utility available from Yahoo! which could do that, but now the
        only way is to install Yahoo! Messenger. So I install Yahoo!
        Messenger with the Yahoo! Mail add-on, and then I have to uninstall
        the messenger part again since I do not want multiple IM clients
        installed and Yahoo! Messenger doesn't support Skype where all my
        friends and colleagues are. On top of which Yahoo! Mail now has the
        Messenger built in, but without the default mail option.

        > Does anyone here know why Yahoo! stopped making the utility
        available? And why is it not an option in Yahoo! Mail itself to make
        it default? I really do not understand why an important aspect of
        Yahoo! Mail, and any e-mail client for that matter, is an add-on in
        another program. Am I missing something obvious?

        > --
        > Christian

      • Christian Dysthe
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 3 12:17 PM
          Hi,

          But I do not want Yanoo! Messenger. I only want Yahoo! Mail set as default mail client. Why can't I do that without having to install the messenger program? I'ts like having to install Microsoft Office to set Notepad as default program for text files! :)

          --
          Christian

          That option appears on your computer (Internet options and taskbar
          properties/settings ) ONLY after you install Yahoo! services on your
          computer. If you skipped them and don't have them, just reinstall
          your Yahoo Messenger and make sure you check the box for Yahoo
          Services - then look inot IE/Tools/Internet Options/Programs - tada!
          Ciprian M.

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, Christian Dysthe <christian@. ..> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I always want to make Yahoo! Mail default when I build a new
          computer. I want Yahoo! Mail to catch "mailto" links and to open when
          you want to send links from your browser etc. Previously there was a
          little utility available from Yahoo! which could do that, but now the
          only way is to install Yahoo! Messenger. So I install Yahoo!
          Messenger with the Yahoo! Mail add-on, and then I have to uninstall
          the messenger part again since I do not want multiple IM clients
          installed and Yahoo! Messenger doesn't support Skype where all my
          friends and colleagues are. On top of which Yahoo! Mail now has the
          Messenger built in, but without the default mail option.

          > Does anyone here know why Yahoo! stopped making the utility
          available? And why is it not an option in Yahoo! Mail itself to make
          it default? I really do not understand why an important aspect of
          Yahoo! Mail, and any e-mail client for that matter, is an add-on in
          another program. Am I missing something obvious?

          > --
          > Christian

        • Ciprian Murariu
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 4 9:05 AM
            I'm not a Yahoo! guy, I just told you how I do it (there was a script
            for enabling it, but that disapeared as the new Help system took
            over).
            You could uninstall the messenger after getting the services, I
            guess... Never tried that though. Maybe Ryan will have a better
            answer for you (us)

          • Christian Dysthe
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 5 6:11 AM
              Hi,

              My initial mail actually said that what I am doing is first installing Yahoo! Messenger with the add-ons. Then I uninstall the messenger and keep the default mail option. What I was wondering about is why Yahoo! won't let me set Yahoo! Mail as default mail program without having to install the messenger first.

              --
              Christian

              I'm not a Yahoo! guy, I just told you how I do it (there was a script
              for enabling it, but that disapeared as the new Help system took
              over).
              You could uninstall the messenger after getting the services, I
              guess... Never tried that though. Maybe Ryan will have a better
              answer for you (us)
              Ciprian M.

              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, Christian Dysthe <christian@. ..> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > But I do not want Yanoo! Messenger. I only want Yahoo! Mail set as
              default mail client. Why can't I do that without having to install
              the messenger program? I'ts like having to install Microsoft Office
              to set Notepad as default program for text files! :)

              > --
              > Christian

            • jesus_aguillon
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 5 7:58 PM
                On a related note, how do I go about making it so that emails open up in
                Firefox rather than in IE when I click on a mailto link? It always
                opens in IE even if I have Firefox as my default browser.

                Thanks,