Re: [Y-Mail] Re: Yahoo Mail spam filters having problems?

  • reese cup
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 5, 2007
      don't send anymore e-mails

      Dave Kronenberg <davek926@...> wrote:
      I have asked support@yahoo. com what to do about this and they told me
      to forward these emails to spam@.... When I did I received a
      delivery failure that said spam@... was an invalid address.

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, "Karen Pierce" <karen729@.. .> wrote:

      > Yep....I have all 50 of my filters used up with the way
      they're "revising" their spam.

      > KP

      with a new way to get their messages out, and then it takes a week or
      two for the spam filters to start learning their ways and catch up.
      Happens every few months.

      > Dan

      receiving today that the spam filter isn't "trained" to catch. I
      would suggest being patient and continuing to use the Spam button to
      deal with these messages. You can try contacting Customer Care, but I
      suspect that they won't tell you anything more than to keep using the
      Spam button.

      > As for receiving the same message over and over, that's a good
      question, and one that the Yahoo Mail staff would need to answer. I
      have been flagging emails from a certain job listing site as spam
      again and again and I still keep receiving them.

      > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _______
      > Jay Bienvenu 360.yahoo.com/ bienvenunet
      > bienvenunet@ yahoo.com flickr.com/photos/ bienvenunet

      Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

    • Sasafrass
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 5, 2007
        You need to unsubscribe or leave the group by clicking on "edit membership" at the top of the group webpage.

        Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
      • Karen Pierce
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 5, 2007
          Um....I believe that reese cup is answering the post below his regarding the invalid address for spam@yahoo....   He's telling Dave to stop sending the emails to that address. Yes?

          KP

          You need to unsubscribe or leave the group by clicking on "edit membership" at the top of the group webpage.

          reese cup wrote:

          don't send anymore e-mails

          Dave Kronenberg <davek926@yahoo. com> wrote:
          I have asked support@yahoo. com what to do about this and they told me
          to forward these emails to spam@.... When I did I received a
          delivery failure that said spam@... was an invalid address.

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, "Karen Pierce" <karen729@.. .> wrote:

          > Yep....I have all 50 of my filters used up with the way
          they're "revising" their spam.

          > KP

          Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

        • Goutam Nath
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 5, 2007
            If I am not mistaken, he/she is asking not to send any more emails to spam@... since it's an invalid address?

            Goutam

            reese cup wrote:
            don't send anymore e-mails

            Dave Kronenberg <davek926@...> wrote:
            I have asked support@yahoo. com what to do about this and they told me
            to forward these emails to spam@.... When I did I received a
            delivery failure that said spam@... was an invalid address.

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, "Karen Pierce" <karen729@.. .> wrote:

            > Yep....I have all 50 of my filters used up with the way
            they're "revising" their spam.

            > KP

            Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

          • Sasafrass
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 5, 2007
              I've seen this happen many times before. The person wishing to stop receiving group emails will reply to any post with an identical or similar message.

              reese cup wrote:

              don't send anymore e-mails

              Dave Kronenberg <davek926@yahoo. com> wrote:
              I have asked support@yahoo. com what to do about this and they told me
              to forward these emails to spam@.... When I did I received a
              delivery failure that said spam@... was an invalid address.

              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, "Karen Pierce" <karen729@.. .> wrote:

              > Yep....I have all 50 of my filters used up with the way
              they're "revising" their spam.

              > KP

              Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
            • Dave Kronenberg
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 6, 2007
                If reese cup's reply was to my post, all I can say is: DUH! The point
                I was making is that apparently customer support could care less.

                Dave

                <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48254/*http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/_ylc=X3oDMTI5MGx2aThyBF9TAzIxMTU1MDAzNTIEX3MDMzk2NTQ1MTAzBHNlYwNCQUJwaWxsYXJfTklfMzYwBHNsawNQcm9kdWN0X3F1ZXN0aW9uX3BhZ2U-?link=list&sid=396545469>from
                > >> someone who knows.
                > >> Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

              • Ryan Kennedy
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 6, 2007
                  I've forwarded this message thread to the engineers
                  working on antispam.

                  Ryan Kennedy
                  Yahoo! Mail
                • Bill
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 6, 2007
                    What Are You Talking About.......Reese is.....CLEARLY....responding to Dave's message regarding the failure notice he receives when forwarding a message to spam@.........as instructed by support@..........Not A Word Was Said About Not Wanting To Receive Group Mail From This Or Any Other Group

                    For Future Reference.....should a member wish to stop receiving  Group Mail....The Correct Response is to direct that member to The Group Homepage....where at the top they will find....."Edit Membership"......upon hitting that link they will then be on the....Edit Membership Page.....where they will find a 3 Step Process to Edit their Membership

                    Step 1......Contact Information
                    Step 2.....Message Delivery
                    Step 3.....Message Preference

                    As it suggests....Step 2 controls Message Delivery.....there they will see 4 options:....Individual Mail....Daily Digest....Special Notices....and....Web Only.....which used to read....No Mail....but in fact means the same thing....that would be the option for said member to choose

                    Some groups Require receipt of Group Mail as part of their Membership.....but I see no such Requirement for This Group

                    Rather than continued defense of your mistaken response I suggest you apologize to Reese and to those who tried to explain Resse's response to you

                    I say this as a 5 Year Owner/Moderator of a Yahoo Group

                    Bill

                    > I've seen this happen many times before. The person wishing to stop
                    > receiving group emails will reply to any post with an identical or
                    > similar message.
                    >
                    > Karen Pierce wrote:
                    > > Um....I believe that reese cup is answering the post below his
                    > > regarding the invalid address for spam@yahoo <mailto:spam@yahoo....
                    > > He's telling Dave to stop sending the emails to that address. Yes?
                    > >
                    > > KP

                  • Jeff
                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 6, 2007
                      Everybody is making assumptions as to what Reese was saying or meant with his very short message. Until/unless he replies to explain himself, I think it's pointless to continue to discuss/debate this topic.

                      Jeff
                      Today is the tomorrow you dreamed about yesterday

                      What Are You Talking About.......Reese is.....CLEARLY....responding to Dave's message regarding the failure notice he receives when forwarding a message to spam@.........as instructed by support@..........Not A Word Was Said About Not Wanting To Receive Group Mail From This Or Any Other Group

                      For Future Reference.....should a member wish to stop receiving  Group Mail....The Correct Response is to direct that member to The Group Homepage....where at the top they will find....."Edit Membership"......upon hitting that link they will then be on the....Edit Membership Page.....where they will find a 3 Step Process to Edit their Membership

                      Step 1......Contact Information
                      Step 2.....Message Delivery
                      Step 3.....Message Preference

                      As it suggests....Step 2 controls Message Delivery.....there they will see 4 options:....Individual Mail....Daily Digest....Special Notices....and....Web Only.....which used to read....No Mail....but in fact means the same thing....that would be the option for said member to choose

                      Some groups Require receipt of Group Mail as part of their Membership.....but I see no such Requirement for This Group

                      Rather than continued defense of your mistaken response I suggest you apologize to Reese and to those who tried to explain Resse's response to you

                      I say this as a 5 Year Owner/Moderator of a Yahoo Group

                      Bill

                      > I've seen this happen many times before. The person wishing to stop
                      > receiving group emails will reply to any post with an identical or
                      > similar message.
                      >
                      > Karen Pierce wrote:
                      > > Um....I believe that reese cup is answering the post below his
                      > > regarding the invalid address for spam@yahoo <mailto:spam@yahoo....
                      > > He's telling Dave to stop sending the emails to that address. Yes?
                      > >
                      > > KP

                      of the group webpage.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 6, 2007
                        As I said, people have done this many times before. They don't bother to look on the group home page or ask how to unsubscribe/leave the group. They just respond to ANY post saying something like "don't send anymore emails". And, I did direct Reese to the "edit membership" link, as I have with every such message. They didn't have to explain that they wanted to leave the group or switch to "web only". It's perfectly clear to me..... And, what makes you so sure that they were actually responding to Dave's message? It wasn't related in any way, except for the word "emails". BTW, that was Reese's 1st & so far only post since he/she joined in june. I'll keep my eye on the group activity logs to see if they leave or change their membership.

                      • Sasafrass
                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 6, 2007
                          They very likely won't respond unless their message was misinterpreted. That was their only post so far(they joined in june), & it was pretty clear to me what they meant.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 6, 2007
                            Hello all,

                            As you may have heard from Ryan, there is a new community manager here
                            at Yahoo! That person would be me, and to make things simple (or more
                            confusing depending on how you look at it) my name is also Ryan. I'll
                            be doing my best to keep an eye on issues like this, and do my best to
                            get answers for you when I can.

                            Customer Care should no longer be giving out spam@... for
                            reporting purposes. The best method for reporting is always to click
                            the "spam" button within Mail (it is the fastest way to get it into the
                            system). You can also forward messages to abuse@... or
                            spam@....

                            Ryan K (the new one)
                            Community Manager
                            Yahoo!

                            > They very likely won't respond unless their message was
                            misinterpreted.
                            > That was their only post so far(they joined in june), & it was pretty
                            > clear to me what they meant.
                            >
                            > Jeff wrote:
                            > > Everybody is making assumptions as to what Reese was saying or
                            > > meant with his very short message. Until/unless he replies to
                            explain
                            > > himself, I think it's pointless to continue to discuss/debate this
                            > > topic.
                            > >
                            > > **
                            > > *Jeff *
                            > > *Today is the tomorrow you dreamed about yesterday*
                            > > *http://360.yahoo.com/txsurvivornut2004*

                            <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48255/*http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/_ylc=X3o\
                            DMTI5MGx2aThyBF9TAzIxMTU1MDAzNTIEX3MDMzk2NTQ1MTAzBHNlYwNCQUJwaWxsYXJfTkl\
                            fMzYwBHNsawNQcm9kdWN0X3F1ZXN0aW9uX3BhZ2U-?link=list&sid=396545433>from
                            > > someone who knows.
                            > > Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                          • Ryan
                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 6, 2007
                              Oops, I should try those addresses one more time. No longer send
                              stuff to spam(at)yahoo.com. If you are not able to use the "Spam"
                              button to flag the message within Yahoo! Mail, you may want to forward
                              the message to abuse(at)yahoo.com or spam(at)yahoo-inc.com.

                              Sorry about that :)

                              -Ryan K

                              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan" <ymailblog1@...> wrote:

                              > Hello all,
                              >
                              > As you may have heard from Ryan, there is a new community manager here
                              > at Yahoo! That person would be me, and to make things simple (or more
                              > confusing depending on how you look at it) my name is also Ryan. I'll
                              > be doing my best to keep an eye on issues like this, and do my best to
                              > get answers for you when I can.
                              >
                              > Customer Care should no longer be giving out spam@... for
                              > reporting purposes. The best method for reporting is always to click
                              > the "spam" button within Mail (it is the fastest way to get it into the
                              > system). You can also forward messages to abuse@... or
                              > spam@...
                              >
                              > Ryan K (the new one)
                              > Community Manager
                              > Yahoo!
                              >

                              > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Sasafrass <sasafrass452@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > They very likely won't respond unless their message was
                              > misinterpreted.
                              > > That was their only post so far(they joined in june), & it was pretty
                              > > clear to me what they meant.
                              > >
                              > > Jeff wrote:
                              > > > Everybody is making assumptions as to what Reese was saying or
                              > > > meant with his very short message. Until/unless he replies to
                              > explain
                              > > > himself, I think it's pointless to continue to discuss/debate this
                              > > > topic.
                              > > >
                              > > > **
                              > > > *Jeff *
                              > > > *Today is the tomorrow you dreamed about yesterday*
                              > > > *http://360.yahoo.com/txsurvivornut2004*

                            • Brent
                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 6, 2007
                                I have often wondered about marking a message as spam. What happens to a message after it is marked as spam? Does someone actually look at the messages?

                                Brent

                                Yahoo! Groups Links

                                   mailto:Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

                              • Kenny
                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 6, 2007
                                  Same last name too or just initial letter of last name?

                                  --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan" <ymailblog1@...> wrote:

                                  > Ryan K (the new one)
                                  > Community Manager
                                  > Yahoo!

                                • Goutam Nath
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Aug 7, 2007
                                    Welcome Ryan "The Second", you don't mind that do you? Anyway, it's so good to have you here amongst us I hope you will enjoy answering our queries

                                    Regards,
                                    Goutam

                                    Goutam

                                    As you may have heard from Ryan, there is a new community manager here
                                    at Yahoo! That person would be me, and to make things simple (or more
                                    confusing depending on how you look at it) my name is also Ryan.  I'll
                                    be doing my best to keep an eye on issues like this, and do my best to
                                    get answers for you when I can.

                                    Customer Care should no longer be giving out spam@... for
                                    reporting purposes.  The best method for reporting is always to click
                                    the "spam" button within Mail (it is the fastest way to get it into the
                                    system). You can also forward messages to abuse@... or
                                    spam@....

                                    Ryan K (the new one)
                                    Community Manager
                                    Yahoo!

                                    > They very likely won't respond unless their message was
                                    misinterpreted.
                                    > That was their only post so far(they joined in june), & it was pretty
                                    > clear to me what they meant.
                                    >
                                    > Jeff wrote:
                                    > > Everybody is making assumptions as to what Reese was saying or
                                    > > meant with his very short message. Until/unless he replies to
                                    explain
                                    > > himself, I think it's pointless to continue to discuss/debate this
                                    > > topic.
                                    > >
                                    > > **
                                    > > *Jeff *
                                    > > *Today is the tomorrow you dreamed about yesterday*
                                    > > *http://360.yahoo.com/txsurvivornut2004*

                                    Delivery