Re: [Y-Mail] Yahoo Mail spam filters having problems?

  • Sasafrass
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 3, 2007
      This once again proves that Yahoo's spam filters leave a lot to be desired. As far as getting the "same" spam messages over & over, this is because spammers constantly change their email address or spoof others to avoid getting caught. That's why simply marking them as spam or blocking the sender's address doesn't do any good. Before you know it, you'll have uselessly blocked 1,000 or more addresses that are no longer used. The only way to completely stop spam from reaching your inbox is to only accept messages from people in your address book, & every single spam will go to the trash. I recommend Thunderbird to do this. I know it's kind of strict, but at least your inbox won't get cluttered with junk.

      mjk4984 wrote:
      For the past few weeks I've been getting a lot of spam in my Inbox
      despite using the the pay version of Yahoo which is supposed to have a
      better spam filter.

      For example, this morning I received 28 spam messages, with 7 of them
      showing up in my Inbox.  This is a 25% failure rate for the spam filter.

      Previously maybe I'd get one or two spam messages in my Inbox a week
      and I receive hundreds a day so that was less than a 1% failure rate.

      Has something changed?

      Also why do I keep receiving the same messages over and over when I
      keep flagging them as spam?

      Yahoo! Groups Links

          mailto:Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

    • S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 3, 2007
        Maybe there is something different about the spam that you are receiving today that the spam filter isn't "trained" to catch. I would suggest being patient and continuing to use the Spam button to deal with these messages. You can try contacting Customer Care, but I suspect that they won't tell you anything more than to keep using the Spam button.

        As for receiving the same message over and over, that's a good question, and one that the Yahoo Mail staff would need to answer. I have been flagging emails from a certain job listing site as spam again and again and I still keep receiving them.

        Jay Bienvenu 360.yahoo.com/bienvenunet
        bienvenunet@... flickr.com/photos/bienvenunet

        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 3, 2007
          I noticed that spam seems to come in waves.  The spammers come up with a new way to get their messages out, and then it takes a week or two for the spam filters to start learning their ways and catch up.  Happens every few months.

          Dan

          Maybe there is something different about the spam that you are receiving today that the spam filter isn't "trained" to catch. I would suggest being patient and continuing to use the Spam button to deal with these messages. You can try contacting Customer Care, but I suspect that they won't tell you anything more than to keep using the Spam button.

          As for receiving the same message over and over, that's a good question, and one that the Yahoo Mail staff would need to answer. I have been flagging emails from a certain job listing site as spam again and again and I still keep receiving them.

          ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _______
          Jay Bienvenu 360.yahoo.com/ bienvenunet
          bienvenunet@ yahoo.com flickr.com/photos/ bienvenunet

          For the past few weeks I've been getting a lot of spam in my Inbox
          despite using the the pay version of Yahoo which is supposed to have a
          better spam filter.

          For example, this morning I received 28 spam messages, with 7 of them
          showing up in my Inbox.  This is a 25% failure rate for the spam filter.

          Previously maybe I'd get one or two spam messages in my Inbox a week
          and I receive hundreds a day so that was less than a 1% failure rate.

          Has something changed?

          Also why do I keep receiving the same messages over and over when I
          keep flagging them as spam?

          Yahoo! Groups Links

              http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Y-Mail/

              http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Y-Mail/ join

              mailto:Y-Mail- digest@yahoogrou ps.com
              mailto:Y-Mail- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

              http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

        • daynelloconor
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 3, 2007
            i don't know if ayone has tried this but I use to get like 50 spam
            messages a day and once I reset the filter I get like one spam
            message once i a blue moon. Hope this helps everyone!

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "S. J. \"Jay\" Bienvenu"
            <bienvenunet@...> wrote:

            > Maybe there is something different about the spam that you are
            receiving today that the spam filter isn't "trained" to catch. I
            would suggest being patient and continuing to use the Spam button to
            deal with these messages. You can try contacting Customer Care, but I
            suspect that they won't tell you anything more than to keep using the
            Spam button.

            > As for receiving the same message over and over, that's a good
            question, and one that the Yahoo Mail staff would need to answer. I
            have been flagging emails from a certain job listing site as spam
            again and again and I still keep receiving them.

            > Jay Bienvenu 360.yahoo.com/bienvenunet
            > bienvenunet@... flickr.com/photos/bienvenunet

          • Karen Pierce
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 3, 2007
              Yep....I have all 50 of my filters used up with the way they're "revising" their spam.

              KP

              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 4, 2007
                I have asked support@... what to do about this and they told me
                to forward these emails to spam@.... When I did I received a
                delivery failure that said spam@... was an invalid address.

                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Karen Pierce" <karen729@...> wrote:

                > Yep....I have all 50 of my filters used up with the way
                they're "revising" their spam.

                > KP

              • reese cup
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 5, 2007
                  don't send anymore e-mails

                  Dave Kronenberg <davek926@...> wrote:
                  I have asked support@yahoo. com what to do about this and they told me
                  to forward these emails to spam@.... When I did I received a
                  delivery failure that said spam@... was an invalid address.

                  --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, "Karen Pierce" <karen729@.. .> wrote:

                  > Yep....I have all 50 of my filters used up with the way
                  they're "revising" their spam.

                  > KP

                  Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                • Sasafrass
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 5, 2007
                    You need to unsubscribe or leave the group by clicking on "edit membership" at the top of the group webpage.

                    Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
                  • Karen Pierce
                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 5, 2007
                      Um....I believe that reese cup is answering the post below his regarding the invalid address for spam@yahoo....   He's telling Dave to stop sending the emails to that address. Yes?

                      KP

                      You need to unsubscribe or leave the group by clicking on "edit membership" at the top of the group webpage.

                      reese cup wrote:

                      don't send anymore e-mails

                      Dave Kronenberg <davek926@yahoo. com> wrote:
                      I have asked support@yahoo. com what to do about this and they told me
                      to forward these emails to spam@.... When I did I received a
                      delivery failure that said spam@... was an invalid address.

                      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, "Karen Pierce" <karen729@.. .> wrote:

                      > Yep....I have all 50 of my filters used up with the way
                      they're "revising" their spam.

                      > KP

                      Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                    • Goutam Nath
                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 5, 2007
                        If I am not mistaken, he/she is asking not to send any more emails to spam@... since it's an invalid address?

                        Goutam

                        reese cup wrote:
                        don't send anymore e-mails

                        Dave Kronenberg <davek926@...> wrote:
                        I have asked support@yahoo. com what to do about this and they told me
                        to forward these emails to spam@.... When I did I received a
                        delivery failure that said spam@... was an invalid address.

                        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, "Karen Pierce" <karen729@.. .> wrote:

                        > Yep....I have all 50 of my filters used up with the way
                        they're "revising" their spam.

                        > KP

                        Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                      • Sasafrass
                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 5, 2007
                          I've seen this happen many times before. The person wishing to stop receiving group emails will reply to any post with an identical or similar message.

                          reese cup wrote:

                          don't send anymore e-mails

                          Dave Kronenberg <davek926@yahoo. com> wrote:
                          I have asked support@yahoo. com what to do about this and they told me
                          to forward these emails to spam@.... When I did I received a
                          delivery failure that said spam@... was an invalid address.

                          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, "Karen Pierce" <karen729@.. .> wrote:

                          > Yep....I have all 50 of my filters used up with the way
                          they're "revising" their spam.

                          > KP

                          Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
                        • Dave Kronenberg
                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 6, 2007
                            If reese cup's reply was to my post, all I can say is: DUH! The point
                            I was making is that apparently customer support could care less.

                            Dave

                            <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48254/*http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/_ylc=X3oDMTI5MGx2aThyBF9TAzIxMTU1MDAzNTIEX3MDMzk2NTQ1MTAzBHNlYwNCQUJwaWxsYXJfTklfMzYwBHNsawNQcm9kdWN0X3F1ZXN0aW9uX3BhZ2U-?link=list&sid=396545469>from
                            > >> someone who knows.
                            > >> Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                          • Ryan Kennedy
                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 6, 2007
                              I've forwarded this message thread to the engineers
                              working on antispam.

                              Ryan Kennedy
                              Yahoo! Mail
                            • Bill
                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 6, 2007
                                What Are You Talking About.......Reese is.....CLEARLY....responding to Dave's message regarding the failure notice he receives when forwarding a message to spam@.........as instructed by support@..........Not A Word Was Said About Not Wanting To Receive Group Mail From This Or Any Other Group

                                For Future Reference.....should a member wish to stop receiving  Group Mail....The Correct Response is to direct that member to The Group Homepage....where at the top they will find....."Edit Membership"......upon hitting that link they will then be on the....Edit Membership Page.....where they will find a 3 Step Process to Edit their Membership

                                Step 1......Contact Information
                                Step 2.....Message Delivery
                                Step 3.....Message Preference

                                As it suggests....Step 2 controls Message Delivery.....there they will see 4 options:....Individual Mail....Daily Digest....Special Notices....and....Web Only.....which used to read....No Mail....but in fact means the same thing....that would be the option for said member to choose

                                Some groups Require receipt of Group Mail as part of their Membership.....but I see no such Requirement for This Group

                                Rather than continued defense of your mistaken response I suggest you apologize to Reese and to those who tried to explain Resse's response to you

                                I say this as a 5 Year Owner/Moderator of a Yahoo Group

                                Bill

                                > I've seen this happen many times before. The person wishing to stop
                                > receiving group emails will reply to any post with an identical or
                                > similar message.
                                >
                                > Karen Pierce wrote:
                                > > Um....I believe that reese cup is answering the post below his
                                > > regarding the invalid address for spam@yahoo <mailto:spam@yahoo....
                                > > He's telling Dave to stop sending the emails to that address. Yes?
                                > >
                                > > KP

                              • Jeff
                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 6, 2007
                                  Everybody is making assumptions as to what Reese was saying or meant with his very short message. Until/unless he replies to explain himself, I think it's pointless to continue to discuss/debate this topic.

                                  Jeff
                                  Today is the tomorrow you dreamed about yesterday

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Aug 6, 2007
                                    As I said, people have done this many times before. They don't bother to look on the group home page or ask how to unsubscribe/leave the group. They just respond to ANY post saying something like "don't send anymore emails". And, I did direct Reese to the "edit membership" link, as I have with every such message. They didn't have to explain that they wanted to leave the group or switch to "web only". It's perfectly clear to me..... And, what makes you so sure that they were actually responding to Dave's message? It wasn't related in any way, except for the word "emails". BTW, that was Reese's 1st & so far only post since he/she joined in june. I'll keep my eye on the group activity logs to see if they leave or change their membership.

                                  • Sasafrass
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Aug 6, 2007
                                      They very likely won't respond unless their message was misinterpreted. That was their only post so far(they joined in june), & it was pretty clear to me what they meant.

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Aug 6, 2007
                                        Hello all,

                                        As you may have heard from Ryan, there is a new community manager here
                                        at Yahoo! That person would be me, and to make things simple (or more
                                        confusing depending on how you look at it) my name is also Ryan. I'll
                                        be doing my best to keep an eye on issues like this, and do my best to
                                        get answers for you when I can.

                                        Customer Care should no longer be giving out spam@... for
                                        reporting purposes. The best method for reporting is always to click
                                        the "spam" button within Mail (it is the fastest way to get it into the
                                        system). You can also forward messages to abuse@... or
                                        spam@....

                                        Ryan K (the new one)
                                        Community Manager
                                        Yahoo!

                                        > They very likely won't respond unless their message was
                                        misinterpreted.
                                        > That was their only post so far(they joined in june), & it was pretty
                                        > clear to me what they meant.
                                        >
                                        > Jeff wrote:
                                        > > Everybody is making assumptions as to what Reese was saying or
                                        > > meant with his very short message. Until/unless he replies to
                                        explain
                                        > > himself, I think it's pointless to continue to discuss/debate this
                                        > > topic.
                                        > >
                                        > > **
                                        > > *Jeff *
                                        > > *Today is the tomorrow you dreamed about yesterday*
                                        > > *http://360.yahoo.com/txsurvivornut2004*

                                        <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48255/*http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/_ylc=X3o\
                                        DMTI5MGx2aThyBF9TAzIxMTU1MDAzNTIEX3MDMzk2NTQ1MTAzBHNlYwNCQUJwaWxsYXJfTkl\
                                        fMzYwBHNsawNQcm9kdWN0X3F1ZXN0aW9uX3BhZ2U-?link=list&sid=396545433>from
                                        > > someone who knows.
                                        > > Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                                      • Ryan
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Aug 6, 2007
                                          Oops, I should try those addresses one more time. No longer send
                                          stuff to spam(at)yahoo.com. If you are not able to use the "Spam"
                                          button to flag the message within Yahoo! Mail, you may want to forward
                                          the message to abuse(at)yahoo.com or spam(at)yahoo-inc.com.

                                          Sorry about that :)

                                          -Ryan K

                                          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan" <ymailblog1@...> wrote:

                                          > Hello all,
                                          >
                                          > As you may have heard from Ryan, there is a new community manager here
                                          > at Yahoo! That person would be me, and to make things simple (or more
                                          > confusing depending on how you look at it) my name is also Ryan. I'll
                                          > be doing my best to keep an eye on issues like this, and do my best to
                                          > get answers for you when I can.
                                          >
                                          > Customer Care should no longer be giving out spam@... for
                                          > reporting purposes. The best method for reporting is always to click
                                          > the "spam" button within Mail (it is the fastest way to get it into the
                                          > system). You can also forward messages to abuse@... or
                                          > spam@...
                                          >
                                          > Ryan K (the new one)
                                          > Community Manager
                                          > Yahoo!
                                          >

                                          > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Sasafrass <sasafrass452@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > They very likely won't respond unless their message was
                                          > misinterpreted.
                                          > > That was their only post so far(they joined in june), & it was pretty
                                          > > clear to me what they meant.
                                          > >
                                          > > Jeff wrote:
                                          > > > Everybody is making assumptions as to what Reese was saying or
                                          > > > meant with his very short message. Until/unless he replies to
                                          > explain
                                          > > > himself, I think it's pointless to continue to discuss/debate this
                                          > > > topic.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > **
                                          > > > *Jeff *
                                          > > > *Today is the tomorrow you dreamed about yesterday*
                                          > > > *http://360.yahoo.com/txsurvivornut2004*

                                        • Brent
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Aug 6, 2007
                                            I have often wondered about marking a message as spam. What happens to a message after it is marked as spam? Does someone actually look at the messages?

                                            Brent

                                          • Kenny
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Aug 6, 2007
                                              Same last name too or just initial letter of last name?

                                              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan" <ymailblog1@...> wrote:

                                              > Ryan K (the new one)
                                              > Community Manager
                                              > Yahoo!

                                            • Goutam Nath
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Aug 7, 2007
                                                Welcome Ryan "The Second", you don't mind that do you? Anyway, it's so good to have you here amongst us I hope you will enjoy answering our queries

                                                Regards,
                                                Goutam

                                                Goutam

                                                As you may have heard from Ryan, there is a new community manager here
                                                at Yahoo! That person would be me, and to make things simple (or more
                                                confusing depending on how you look at it) my name is also Ryan.  I'll
                                                be doing my best to keep an eye on issues like this, and do my best to
                                                get answers for you when I can.

                                                Customer Care should no longer be giving out spam@... for
                                                reporting purposes.  The best method for reporting is always to click
                                                the "spam" button within Mail (it is the fastest way to get it into the
                                                system). You can also forward messages to abuse@... or
                                                spam@....

                                                Ryan K (the new one)
                                                Community Manager
                                                Yahoo!

                                                > They very likely won't respond unless their message was
                                                misinterpreted.
                                                > That was their only post so far(they joined in june), & it was pretty
                                                > clear to me what they meant.
                                                >
                                                > Jeff wrote:
                                                > > Everybody is making assumptions as to what Reese was saying or
                                                > > meant with his very short message. Until/unless he replies to
                                                explain
                                                > > himself, I think it's pointless to continue to discuss/debate this
                                                > > topic.
                                                > >
                                                > > **
                                                > > *Jeff *
                                                > > *Today is the tomorrow you dreamed about yesterday*
                                                > > *http://360.yahoo.com/txsurvivornut2004*

                                                Delivery