Re: [Y-Mail] Re: Yahoo Mail Beta Features?

  • too_much green_tea
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2007
      500Mb ... not bad :)
      A little weary of what they would consider as "related to the service" though (see snippet below).

      And they only said they don't sell, rent, or lease the customer lists to third parties. They didn't say they won't make the submitted materials available free of charge to third parties. Combining that with a loosely defined "submitted materials" together and we can have a real mess on our hands LOL

      8. Your Materials.

      You may be able to submit materials for use in connection with the service.  Except for material that we license to you, we do not claim ownership of the materials you post or otherwise provide to us related to the service (called a “submission”). However, by posting or otherwise providing your submission, you are granting to the public free permission to:

          * use, copy, distribute, display, publish and modify your submission, each in connection with the service;
          * publish your name in connection with your submission; and
          * grant these permissions to other persons.

      This section only applies to legally permissible content and only to the extent that use and publishing of the legally permissible content does not breach the law.  We will not pay you for your submission. We may refuse to publish, and may remove your submission from the service at any time.  For every submission you make, you must have all rights necessary for you to grant the permissions in this section.

      Come and visit our Y-Mail FAQ
      http://blog.360.yahoo.com/YMailFAQ?list=1

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 2, 2007
        Besides, the purpose of Yahoo Mail is to send and receive email, not to store files. Like Pete, I do not want to use my email service to store and back up my files. Yahoo Mail is not designed to facilitate the storing and retrieving of files. And it seems apparent that Yahoo does not want people to use Mail for that purpose.

        There are other good reasons why we prefer Yahoo Briefcase over Yahoo Mail:

        1. Briefcase has been part of Yahoo for a very long time, much longer than the unlimited storage and new interface of Mail. I'd much rather use the folders and files that I already have in Briefcase over developing a new storage system in Mail.

        2. With Briefcase, there is at least the potential to make files available to others via a direct link. This isn't possible in Mail, and I don't see any practical reason why one would want such a feature for email.

        3. Briefcase provides the foundation for an online file backup utility. All Yahoo would need to do is develop a utility that can run in Windows and be launched by Scheduled Tasks.

        4. Income for Yahoo! I'm still amazed that Yahoo hasn't figured out that if they bundle great ad-free features together on one bill, they can and will make a lot of money from people subscribing to their services. How many of us already buy Mail Plus and would do it just to be free of advertisements? Online file storage and backup is a natural fit into such a package.

        Jay Bienvenu 360.yahoo.com/bienvenunet
        bienvenunet@... flickr.com/photos/bienvenunet

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "toomuchgreentea"
        <toomuchgreentea@...> wrote:

        > Like Sasafrass said, we don't know.
        >
        > I think the briefcase issue has been discussed before, but I'm
        still
        > at lost: why would you want briefcase when you can store and search
        > attachments directly in Yahoo Mail?
        >
        > I don't think web apps can access the local file system through
        > drag-drop without explicit permission, so if that is to be
        > implemented, it will likely require installation of an
        > extension/add-on (like what they did
        with the soon-to-be-gone
        Yahoo!
        > Photos beta).
        >

        > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Sasafrass <sasafrass452@> wrote:
        > >
        > > We honestly don't know, except that the calendar will eventually
        be
        > > updated for the beta interface.
        > >
        > > Pete wrote:
        > > > Just wondering what kind of features we can expect in the
        coming
        > > > months/years....
        > > >
        > > > -drag and drop (*multiple*) attachments?
        > > > -sending picture attachments directly from flikr (flikr
        integration)?
        > > > -improved and integrated yahoo briefcase (i.e. send incoming or
        > outgoing
        > > > attachments directly to briefcase) with more storage, drag drop
        > > > features, etc?
        > > > -msn integration with yahoo mail chat?
        > > > -improved calendar (compatible with outlook,
        thunderbird,
        hotmail,
        > > > gmail, aol, etc.)?
        > > >
        > > > what other features are going to be available?

        Yahoo! Groups Links

            mailto:Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

      • Dave Kronenberg
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 3, 2007
          I agree with Jay. I have been paying for Mail Plus for many years but
          for some reason I refuse to pay for more storage in my Briefcase. If
          it was all packaged together I believe that I would pay a bit more.

          While I'm here giving my 2 cents, I would love to get more than 50
          filters. I have a bunch of folders and would like to direct people's
          mail to their folder and many people I deal with have multiple email
          addresses so I have to setup a filer for each address.

          Dave

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "S. J. \"Jay\" Bienvenu"