Re: [Y-Mail] Re: Yahoo Mail Beta Features?

  • too_much green_tea
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2007
      I believe Yahoo! has already done that ... except that the center of integration isn't at Yahoo! Mail - it's at My Yahoo!.

      Don't think Briefcase was listed in the beta version of My Yahoo! though ...

      Come and visit our Y-Mail FAQ
      http://blog.360.yahoo.com/YMailFAQ?list=1

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2007
        --- Abby Normal <c8linsmom@...> wrote:
        > Ryan...any timeline on when the upcoming stuff will
        > be released?

        I'm not sure and (as usual) even if I did know,
        there's no way I'd be allowed to tell you. Sit tight,
        though. Good stuff's on the way.

        Ryan Kennedy
        Yahoo! Mail
      • Pete
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2007
          The reason I don't like to use Yahoo Mail Beta to store my files is
          that its a pain...I don't want to email myself every single file I
          have on my computer. I want a nice online interface that has a file
          and folder structure that contains all of my personal files in one
          place. As far as some sort of extension app that would allow me to
          do a multiple drag and drop, that's fine with me. Most of the
          uploading of multiple files will be from your own computer anyway,
          so once that little add-on is installed, it will be there for good.
          Windows Live has come out with something similar to briefcase
          (folders.live.com), and its very user friendly and organized.
          However, Yahoo briefcase could definitely be improved and more
          integrated with Yahoo Mail Beta (sending attachments back and forth)
          with possible drag and drop functionality. Once you are connected
          to the internet and logged into your Yahoo ID, you have your entire
          world at your fingertips (news from My Yahoo Page, pictures in
          Flickr, files from My Briefcase, communication via email and mail
          chat), no matter what computer you are on in the entire world.
          Thats the vision anyway....maybe I demand too much.

          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "toomuchgreentea"
          <toomuchgreentea@...> wrote:

          > Like Sasafrass said, we don't know.
          >
          > I think the briefcase issue has been discussed before, but I'm
          still
          > at lost: why would you want briefcase when you can store and search
          > attachments directly in Yahoo Mail?
          >
          > I don't think web apps can access the local file system through
          > drag-drop without explicit permission, so if that is to be
          > implemented, it will likely require installation of an
          > extension/add-on (like what they did with the soon-to-be-gone
          Yahoo!
          > Photos beta).
          >

          > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Sasafrass <sasafrass452@> wrote:
          > >
          > > We honestly don't know, except that the calendar will eventually
          be
          > > updated for the beta interface.
          > >
          > > Pete wrote:
          > > > Just wondering what kind of features we can expect in the
          coming
          > > > months/years....
          > > >
          > > > -drag and drop (*multiple*) attachments?
          > > > -sending picture attachments directly from flikr (flikr
          integration)?
          > > > -improved and integrated yahoo briefcase (i.e. send incoming or
          > outgoing
          > > > attachments directly to briefcase) with more storage, drag drop
          > > > features, etc?
          > > > -msn integration with yahoo mail chat?
          > > > -improved calendar (compatible with outlook, thunderbird,
          hotmail,
          > > > gmail, aol, etc.)?
          > > >
          > > > what other features are going to be available?

        • too_much green_tea
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2007
            500Mb ... not bad :)
            A little weary of what they would consider as "related to the service" though (see snippet below).

            And they only said they don't sell, rent, or lease the customer lists to third parties. They didn't say they won't make the submitted materials available free of charge to third parties. Combining that with a loosely defined "submitted materials" together and we can have a real mess on our hands LOL

            8. Your Materials.

            You may be able to submit materials for use in connection with the service.  Except for material that we license to you, we do not claim ownership of the materials you post or otherwise provide to us related to the service (called a “submission”). However, by posting or otherwise providing your submission, you are granting to the public free permission to:

                * use, copy, distribute, display, publish and modify your submission, each in connection with the service;
                * publish your name in connection with your submission; and
                * grant these permissions to other persons.

            This section only applies to legally permissible content and only to the extent that use and publishing of the legally permissible content does not breach the law.  We will not pay you for your submission. We may refuse to publish, and may remove your submission from the service at any time.  For every submission you make, you must have all rights necessary for you to grant the permissions in this section.

[...]

          • S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 2, 2007
              Besides, the purpose of Yahoo Mail is to send and receive email, not to store files. Like Pete, I do not want to use my email service to store and back up my files. Yahoo Mail is not designed to facilitate the storing and retrieving of files. And it seems apparent that Yahoo does not want people to use Mail for that purpose.

              There are other good reasons why we prefer Yahoo Briefcase over Yahoo Mail:

              1. Briefcase has been part of Yahoo for a very long time, much longer than the unlimited storage and new interface of Mail. I'd much rather use the folders and files that I already have in Briefcase over developing a new storage system in Mail.

              2. With Briefcase, there is at least the potential to make files available to others via a direct link. This isn't possible in Mail, and I don't see any practical reason why one would want such a feature for email.

              3. Briefcase provides the foundation for an online file backup utility. All Yahoo would need to do is develop a utility that can run in Windows and be launched by Scheduled Tasks.

              4. Income for Yahoo! I'm still amazed that Yahoo hasn't figured out that if they bundle great ad-free features together on one bill, they can and will make a lot of money from people subscribing to their services. How many of us already buy Mail Plus and would do it just to be free of advertisements? Online file storage and backup is a natural fit into such a package.

              Jay Bienvenu 360.yahoo.com/bienvenunet
              bienvenunet@... flickr.com/photos/bienvenunet

              <toomuchgreentea@...> wrote:

              > Like Sasafrass said, we don't know.
              >
              > I think the briefcase issue has been discussed before, but I'm
              still
              > at lost: why would you want briefcase when you can store and search
              > attachments directly in Yahoo Mail?
              >
              > I don't think web apps can access the local file system through
              > drag-drop without explicit permission, so if that is to be
              > implemented, it will likely require installation of an
              > extension/add-on (like what they did
              with the soon-to-be-gone
              Yahoo!
              > Photos beta).
              >

              > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Sasafrass <sasafrass452@> wrote:
              > >
              > > We honestly don't know, except that the calendar will eventually
              be
              > > updated for the beta interface.
              > >
              > > Pete wrote:
              > > > Just wondering what kind of features we can expect in the
              coming
              > > > months/years....
              > > >
              > > > -drag and drop (*multiple*) attachments?
              > > > -sending picture attachments directly from flikr (flikr
              integration)?
              > > > -improved and integrated yahoo briefcase (i.e. send incoming or
              > outgoing
              > > > attachments directly to briefcase) with more storage, drag drop
              > > > features, etc?
              > > > -msn integration with yahoo mail chat?
              > > > -improved calendar (compatible with outlook,
              thunderbird,
              hotmail,
              > > > gmail, aol, etc.)?
              > > >
              > > > what other features are going to be available?

              Yahoo! Groups Links

                  mailto:Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

            • Dave Kronenberg
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 3, 2007
                I agree with Jay. I have been paying for Mail Plus for many years but
                for some reason I refuse to pay for more storage in my Briefcase. If
                it was all packaged together I believe that I would pay a bit more.

                While I'm here giving my 2 cents, I would love to get more than 50
                filters. I have a bunch of folders and would like to direct people's
                mail to their folder and many people I deal with have multiple email
                addresses so I have to setup a filer for each address.

                Dave

                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "S. J. \"Jay\" Bienvenu"