Re: Yahoo Mail Beta Features?

  • James
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2007
      The advantage I see to it is you can rename files in your briefcase,
      but not attachments in mail. You can give the message a title, and
      even use the body for tags, but you can't change these settings.
      Actually, you probably could use drafts to make this editable. Then
      there's the question: should you always do 1 file per message? I
      think that's probably the best option. What about message size
      limits, that's a 10MB file limit on what you can store. That's fine
      for most documents, but there could be times you want to store more.

      An advantage is that Y!MB does have unlimited storage. However, even
      Yahoo!'s Help site admits it isn't that simple. Still, I doubt your
      average user who just uses Y!MB as a replacement for briefcase would
      have any trouble.

      "The purpose of unlimited storage isn't to provide an online storage
      warehouse. Usage that suggests this approach gets flagged by Yahoo!
      Mail's anti-abuse controls."

      http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/tools/tools-08.html

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com,
      "toomuchgreentea" <toomuchgreentea@...> wrote:

      > Like Sasafrass said, we don't know.
      >
      > I think the briefcase issue has been discussed before, but I'm still
      > at lost: why would you want briefcase when you can store and search
      > attachments directly in Yahoo Mail?
      >
      > I don't think web apps can access the local file system through
      > drag-drop without explicit permission, so if that is to be
      > implemented, it will likely require installation of an
      > extension/add-on (like what they did with the soon-to-be-gone Yahoo!
      > Photos beta).
      >

      > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Sasafrass <sasafrass452@> wrote:
      > >
      > > We honestly don't know, except that the calendar will eventually
      be
      > > updated for the beta interface.
      > >
      > > Pete wrote:
      > > > Just wondering what kind of features we can expect in the coming
      > > > months/years....
      > > >
      > > > -drag and drop (*multiple*) attachments?
      > > > -sending picture attachments directly from flikr (flikr
      integration)?
      > > > -improved and integrated yahoo briefcase (i.e. send incoming or
      > outgoing
      > > > attachments directly to briefcase) with more storage, drag drop
      > > > features, etc?
      > > > -msn integration with yahoo mail chat?
      > > > -improved calendar (compatible with outlook, thunderbird,
      hotmail,
      > > > gmail, aol, etc.)?
      > > >
      > > > what other features are going to be available?

    • Ankit Gupta
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2007
        I would like to have

        - save chat history

        - ability to take small notes with a mail (e.g. called him, he'll
        reply within 15 days).

        - an interface for advanced search.
      • too_much green_tea
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2007
          I don't believe that was meant for storing attachments. I think that was meant for implementations like GDrives and alike, which have a completely different usage pattern than say downloading attachments when one needs them.

          All triggered cases I have heard so far was because of rate limiting (hits/minutes? hits/secs?). I doubt downloading attachments like one would from briefcase will ever rise to that level of activities.

          Of course, it would be nice to have confirmation on this. :)

          Come and visit our Y-Mail FAQ
          http://blog.360.yahoo.com/YMailFAQ?list=1

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2007
            Ryan...any timeline on when the upcoming stuff will be released?

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Ryan Kennedy <rckenned@...> wrote:

            > --- Pete <ptnnnng@...> wrote:
            > > Just wondering what kind of features we can expect
            > > in the coming months/years....
            >
            > Without giving too much away, I can tell you that I've
            > seen some of the upcoming stuff (not sure what the
            > schedule is) and I will say that you should be
            > pleasantly surprised with some of the added features.
            >
            > Ryan Kennedy
            > Yahoo! Mail

          • Todd Richardson
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 1, 2007
              TMGT -

              I find the idea of including briefcase intriguing,

              I have been investigating getting on-line storage, like X-Drive, so
              when I am at a client I can grab files I might need. Then you've
              got Yahoo Photos (or Flickr), RSS Feed Reader (which I use in Y!
              Mail). Then you might have Y!360, or a webpage, or other pieces of
              the Yahoo "family" of products. Wouldn't it be cool if these each
              had a hook inside Mail like the feedreader itself? One stop
              shopping for all your Yahoo services? Upload photos or files, move
              photos or files to/from mail, Control sharing those files with
              others, the calendar, separately edit/view your tasks list...

              The list goes on. I'm torn between it become big, unwieldy, and
              bloated... or a very cool dashboard acting as the homebase for my
              personal information management.

              <toomuchgreentea@...> wrote:

              > Like Sasafrass said, we don't know.
              >
              > I think the briefcase issue has been discussed before, but I'm
              still
              > at lost: why would you want briefcase when you can store and search
              > attachments directly in Yahoo Mail?
              >
              > I don't think web apps can access the local file system through
              > drag-drop without explicit permission, so if that is to be
              > implemented, it will likely require installation of an
              > extension/add-on (like what they did with the soon-to-be-gone
              Yahoo!
              > Photos beta).
              >

              > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Sasafrass <sasafrass452@> wrote:
              > >
              > > We honestly don't know, except that the calendar will eventually
              be
              > > updated for the beta interface.
              > >
              > > Pete wrote:
              > > > Just wondering what kind of features we can expect in the
              coming
              > > > months/years....
              > > >
              > > > -drag and drop (*multiple*) attachments?
              > > > -sending picture attachments directly from flikr (flikr
              integration)?
              > > > -improved and integrated yahoo briefcase (i.e. send incoming or
              > outgoing
              > > > attachments directly to briefcase) with more storage, drag drop
              > > > features, etc?
              > > > -msn integration with yahoo mail chat?
              > > > -improved calendar (compatible with outlook, thunderbird,
              hotmail,
              > > > gmail, aol, etc.)?
              > > >
              > > > what other features are going to be available?

            • Camaro305
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 1, 2007
                In his original post, he said "not sure what the schedule is".

                Ryan...any timeline on when the upcoming stuff will be released?

                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, Ryan Kennedy <rckenned@.. .> wrote:

                > --- Pete <ptnnnng@... > wrote:
                > > Just wondering what kind of features we can expect
                > > in the coming months/years. ...
                >
                > Without giving too much away, I can tell you that I've
                > seen some of the upcoming stuff (not sure what the
                > schedule is) and I will say that you should be
                > pleasantly surprised with some of the added features.
                >
                > Ryan Kennedy
                > Yahoo! Mail

              • too_much green_tea
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 1, 2007
                  I believe Yahoo! has already done that ... except that the center of integration isn't at Yahoo! Mail - it's at My Yahoo!.

                  Don't think Briefcase was listed in the beta version of My Yahoo! though ...

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 1, 2007
                    --- Abby Normal <c8linsmom@...> wrote:
                    > Ryan...any timeline on when the upcoming stuff will
                    > be released?

                    I'm not sure and (as usual) even if I did know,
                    there's no way I'd be allowed to tell you. Sit tight,
                    though. Good stuff's on the way.

                    Ryan Kennedy
                    Yahoo! Mail
                  • Pete
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 1, 2007
                      The reason I don't like to use Yahoo Mail Beta to store my files is
                      that its a pain...I don't want to email myself every single file I
                      have on my computer. I want a nice online interface that has a file
                      and folder structure that contains all of my personal files in one
                      place. As far as some sort of extension app that would allow me to
                      do a multiple drag and drop, that's fine with me. Most of the
                      uploading of multiple files will be from your own computer anyway,
                      so once that little add-on is installed, it will be there for good.
                      Windows Live has come out with something similar to briefcase
                      (folders.live.com), and its very user friendly and organized.
                      However, Yahoo briefcase could definitely be improved and more
                      integrated with Yahoo Mail Beta (sending attachments back and forth)
                      with possible drag and drop functionality. Once you are connected
                      to the internet and logged into your Yahoo ID, you have your entire
                      world at your fingertips (news from My Yahoo Page, pictures in
                      Flickr, files from My Briefcase, communication via email and mail
                      chat), no matter what computer you are on in the entire world.
                      Thats the vision anyway....maybe I demand too much.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 1, 2007
                        500Mb ... not bad :)
                        A little weary of what they would consider as "related to the service" though (see snippet below).

                        And they only said they don't sell, rent, or lease the customer lists to third parties. They didn't say they won't make the submitted materials available free of charge to third parties. Combining that with a loosely defined "submitted materials" together and we can have a real mess on our hands LOL

                        8. Your Materials.

                        You may be able to submit materials for use in connection with the service.  Except for material that we license to you, we do not claim ownership of the materials you post or otherwise provide to us related to the service (called a “submission”). However, by posting or otherwise providing your submission, you are granting to the public free permission to:

                            * use, copy, distribute, display, publish and modify your submission, each in connection with the service;
                            * publish your name in connection with your submission; and
                            * grant these permissions to other persons.

                        This section only applies to legally permissible content and only to the extent that use and publishing of the legally permissible content does not breach the law.  We will not pay you for your submission. We may refuse to publish, and may remove your submission from the service at any time.  For every submission you make, you must have all rights necessary for you to grant the permissions in this section.

[...]

                      • S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 2, 2007
                          Besides, the purpose of Yahoo Mail is to send and receive email, not to store files. Like Pete, I do not want to use my email service to store and back up my files. Yahoo Mail is not designed to facilitate the storing and retrieving of files. And it seems apparent that Yahoo does not want people to use Mail for that purpose.

                          There are other good reasons why we prefer Yahoo Briefcase over Yahoo Mail:

                          1. Briefcase has been part of Yahoo for a very long time, much longer than the unlimited storage and new interface of Mail. I'd much rather use the folders and files that I already have in Briefcase over developing a new storage system in Mail.

                          2. With Briefcase, there is at least the potential to make files available to others via a direct link. This isn't possible in Mail, and I don't see any practical reason why one would want such a feature for email.

                          3. Briefcase provides the foundation for an online file backup utility. All Yahoo would need to do is develop a utility that can run in Windows and be launched by Scheduled Tasks.

                          4. Income for Yahoo! I'm still amazed that Yahoo hasn't figured out that if they bundle great ad-free features together on one bill, they can and will make a lot of money from people subscribing to their services. How many of us already buy Mail Plus and would do it just to be free of advertisements? Online file storage and backup is a natural fit into such a package.

                          Jay Bienvenu 360.yahoo.com/bienvenunet
                          bienvenunet@... flickr.com/photos/bienvenunet

                          <toomuchgreentea@...> wrote:

                          > Like Sasafrass said, we don't know.
                          >
                          > I think the briefcase issue has been discussed before, but I'm
                          still
                          > at lost: why would you want briefcase when you can store and search
                          > attachments directly in Yahoo Mail?
                          >
                          > I don't think web apps can access the local file system through
                          > drag-drop without explicit permission, so if that is to be
                          > implemented, it will likely require installation of an
                          > extension/add-on (like what they did
                          with the soon-to-be-gone
                          Yahoo!
                          > Photos beta).
                          >

                          > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Sasafrass <sasafrass452@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > We honestly don't know, except that the calendar will eventually
                          be
                          > > updated for the beta interface.
                          > >
                          > > Pete wrote:
                          > > > Just wondering what kind of features we can expect in the
                          coming
                          > > > months/years....
                          > > >
                          > > > -drag and drop (*multiple*) attachments?
                          > > > -sending picture attachments directly from flikr (flikr
                          integration)?
                          > > > -improved and integrated yahoo briefcase (i.e. send incoming or
                          > outgoing
                          > > > attachments directly to briefcase) with more storage, drag drop
                          > > > features, etc?
                          > > > -msn integration with yahoo mail chat?
                          > > > -improved calendar (compatible with outlook,
                          thunderbird,
                          hotmail,
                          > > > gmail, aol, etc.)?
                          > > >
                          > > > what other features are going to be available?

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                              mailto:Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

                        • Dave Kronenberg
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 3, 2007
                            I agree with Jay. I have been paying for Mail Plus for many years but
                            for some reason I refuse to pay for more storage in my Briefcase. If
                            it was all packaged together I believe that I would pay a bit more.

                            While I'm here giving my 2 cents, I would love to get more than 50
                            filters. I have a bunch of folders and would like to direct people's
                            mail to their folder and many people I deal with have multiple email
                            addresses so I have to setup a filer for each address.

                            Dave

                            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "S. J. \"Jay\" Bienvenu"