Re: Web Interface vs. Desktop Apps

  • Taylor Hively
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 30, 2007
      Little known fact is that Yahoo does have IMAP access, it just isn't
      available to us yet. Yet 3rd party email providers have somehow
      contracted with Yahoo to have IMAP access.
      For instance Seven Mail provides blackberry-like push email for
      windows mobile PDAs. You can get access to yahoo IMAP through their
      servers.

      For using Window Live Mail (or OE) I paid for a very inexpensive
      accoun with izymail. Basically you have full IMAP access to Yahoo
      through the Izymail servers.
      In my opinion it's just an unnecessary middleman, but for whatever
      reason this is the only way Yahoo does it yet.

      It's not free, it's $18 a year and I believe there's a free trial period.

      Also. I now have full IMAP access directly to imap.mail.yahoo.com on
      my Windows Mobile Treo. A few weeks ago they started allowing access.
      But it only allows it from phone PDAs through wireless carriers, they
      still don't allow direct access via desktop email programs. Perhaps
      this is a sign that it's coming, or they're only ever going to do this
      for mobile devices, I'm not sure.

      Izymail works. It could always be better, but if you must have IMAP
      it does the trick.

      <toomuchgreentea@...> wrote:

      > I downloaded Windows Live Mail (soon to be OE replacement) a couple
      of days ago.

      > The bait is that with it, you can now access your hotmail accounts
      on your desktop for free without ads. Of course, if prior experience
      means anything, MS will take away the free access as soon as the user
      base reaches a certain level, like they did with OE.

      > Let me just say that while WLM was a really good attempt at
      integrating mail, im, contacts, blog, and rss, both the setup process
      and program options have that cryptic MS feel to it. It is as if they
      want you to consent handing over all your personal info without knowing.

      > Also, you can tell security is still not their goal. It feels like
      they first put in all the bells and whistles without thinking, then
      eventually figured out that many of them are going to pose security
      risks. As a response, they "fixed" the problems by adding
      hard-to-understand options, so when people question them, they can now
      say "see, it's not our fault ... you can always disable those
      functions if you want ..."

      > Definitely a deal breaker.
      >
      > Can the YMail's web interface truly standalone? AOL (IMAP), GMail
      (POP), and Hotmail (HTTP proprietary?) are now all providing desktop
      access without cost. I found having the option to archive messages on
      my computer comforting, even though I may never ever do it for these
      accounts in real life. And by archives, I mean they must be able to be
      re-imported for active use, and not just a zip file sitting on my HD
      that I can't forward to anyone.

      > It begs the questions - can YMail afford not to provide free desktop
      access? And if YMail is to provide free desktop access, what will
      happen to the Plus accounts?

      > Come and visit our Y-Mail FAQ
      > http://blog.360.yahoo.com/YMailFAQ?list=1

      vehicles. Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.