Re: Off Topic: Date specific image searches from Yahoo

  • James
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 10, 2007
      Hey, you're right. It does need the full jpeg. Why? In the pane it
      lists attached pictures as jpg. "Jpg" should be supported. In the
      examples page (ctrl+click the GO button) it lists jpg as an example.
      Also, I tried doc and xls and they didn't work either. Also, for the
      from:%%%%%%%%% keyword, I think it should allow partial addresses.
      Typing in an entire address is too much trouble. For example, let's
      say I was looking for messages from ericcartman@.... Instead
      of typing all that, I should be able to search from:cartman. If that
      from matched multiple addresses, show messages from all of them. It
      would make the feature far more usable. Yahoo! Mail Beta has so many
      search functions, but they must be improved in order to become helpful.

      <toomuchgreentea@...> wrote:

      > It works for me here ... like searching for attachmenttype:gif pops
      up all Sasafrass' messages ;)
      > Or may be you're searching for jpg? If so, you need to use
      attachmenttype:jpeg, not attachmenttype:jpg. :)

      > Come and visit our Y-Mail FAQ
      > http://blog.360.yahoo.com/YMailFAQ?list=1

    • too_much green_tea
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 10, 2007

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 10, 2007
          Those attachment keyword specifications are crazy! If you ctrl+click
          on the search GO button, it lists "attachmenttype:jpg" as an
          example!!! File type is what's after the . It's simple and usable,
          that's what it should definitely be. I tried attachmentname:.%%% and
          it works like a charm. The type search, for now, is useless.

          I was surprised the attachmentname: didn't make me start from the
          beginning, like from does. I think from should search for addresses
          that contain %%%%%%%% rather than addresses that start with %%%%%%%%%.
          It would make it much easier. Come on Y!, let's make these
          potentially useful functions user friendly!

          <toomuchgreentea@...> wrote:

> [...]
        • too_much green_tea
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 10, 2007
            I'll take a wild guess and say that attachmenttype: must have been based upon the mime type of attachments but with unspecified modifications. For example, try searching for attachmenttype:image - it'll return gifs, jpegs, pngs ... etc. all at the same time.

            As for .xls files, after some digging, it appears that they are categorized as part of attachmenttype:octet-stream. I think that basically means "uncategorized".

            The problem with these keywords is that most of them are not very well documented for us users. Few knows about date: , body: . No one knows about the full extend of attachmenttype: , or whether there are more operators available (bet you don't know about the wildcard *).

            Oh BTW ... if someone can figure out how to use folder: , pleeease post the info to the group. ;)

            Come and visit our Y-Mail FAQ
            http://blog.360.yahoo.com/YMailFAQ?list=1

            Those attachment keyword specifications are crazy!  If you ctrl+click
            on the search GO button, it lists "attachmenttype:jpg" as an
            example!!!  File type is what's after the .  It's simple and usable,
            that's what it should definitely be.  I tried attachmentname:.%%% and
            it works like a charm.  The type search, for now, is useless.

            I was surprised the attachmentname: didn't make me start from the
            beginning, like from does.  I think from should search for addresses
            that contain %%%%%%%% rather than addresses that start with %%%%%%%%%.
            It would make it much easier.  Come on Y!, let's make these
            potentially useful functions user friendly!

            always stay connected to friends.