Unusual Activity Detected

  • Goutam Nath
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2007
      To all the Yahoo Staff out here in this group,

      This is to bring to your attention that I'm presently getting the
      following message while trying to send emails

      "Unusual Activity Detected
      To protect you, your account has been suspended from sending, saving,
      and receiving mail for up to 48 hours"

      This is outrageous, this is my primary account and given that I have
      been using this email address of mine since the September of 2007, I
      fail to understand why am I suddenly being restricted from sending emails.

      This has never happened to me before.There has been two instances last
      year (before getting into beta ofcourse) when I had exceeded the
      emails sent per hour, but the present scenario is totally ridiculous!!!

      Now, I never expected this day to some, but it certainly has arrived
      and if yahoo blocks me like this I will have no choice but to find an
      alternate email service provider, and stop using Yahoo for my own good!

      Thanks & Regards,
      Goutam
    • Sasafrass
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2007
        Strange.... I've never seen that happen before. Not sure what it really means, but maybe there's a hacker getting in? Try changing your password, then wait 48 hrs & see how it goes. *IF* there's a hacker, they likely got your password from spyware on your computer. Scan your system right away! Chances are, they were using your account to send spam which would cause the suspension.

        Goutam Nath wrote:
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

            mailto:Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

      • Chris Milliorn
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2007
          Wow...that IS a long time, Sept 2007?!?!  I would be upset too if I was not getting my mail from the future.

          Chris

          "We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? - Lee Iacocca

          "I want to die in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like his passengers." - unknown

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "Goutam Nath" <goutam_nath@...> wrote:

            > "Unusual Activity Detected
            > To protect you, your account has been suspended from sending, saving,
            > and receiving mail for up to 48 hours"

            You left out some important information. Just how many emails have you
            been sending out per day? Maybe you are flagged as a spammer, or as
            someone else has pointed out, you've figured a way to send & receive
            emails from the future.
          • Goutam Nath
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
              75 emails in the past 15 days, that accounts to 5 emails per day, out of the 75 emails 37 messages were each sent to 31 recipients.

              75 emails in the past 15 days might not be the topic of concern, I guess it's the 37 messages each sent to 31 recipients that might be the root to this problem. Then again, this isn't the first time, I have sent out emails in even larger quantities before, last year there was a occasion when I had to send out 20-50 emails in a day, but at that moment I only got the message "the number of emails sent per hour has exceeded" or something like that. I'm not a newbie at Yahoo, this is my primary email address, like I mentioned I'm using it for almost 7 years, I don't use any other id, so if this happens again I'll be left with no choice but to abandon Yahoo!

              Goutam

              > To protect you, your account has been suspended from sending, saving,
              > and receiving mail for up to 48 hours"

              You left out some important information. Just how many emails have you
              been sending out per day? Maybe you are flagged as a spammer, or as
              someone else has pointed out, you've figured a way to send & receive
              emails from the future.

              Yahoo! Groups Links

                  mailto:Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

              It's here! Your new message!
            • too_much green_tea
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
                Are you certain that the rate limits for other providers are better though?

                Come and visit our Y-Mail FAQ
                http://blog.360.yahoo.com/YMailFAQ?list=1

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
                  Good Question, but don't you think there is something called trust involved while dealing with old customers? the security system should be made as such that older email addresses are given more freedom whereas new email addresses should be under strict watch for atleast a year or two

                  Goutam

[...]

                • Sean McBride
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 7, 2007
                    Has anyone succeeded in receiving an authoritative answer from Yahoo
                    Mail management on what this message and situation means?
                  • Ing. Rafael E. Silva
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 7, 2007
                      I've received an Unexpected Server Response (don't know if is from Yahoo)
                      it says   The http response has an unexpected status code
                      HTTP Status: 500
                      Status Text: Internal Server error

                      Server:  Move messages invalid id.  Failed to move messages

                      I would like to know what's happening.

                      Regards,
                      Rafael E.