Re: [Y-Mail] Hi People/Brian/Green Tea/p.s.

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 28, 2007
      Green Tea I Forgot To Mention That In The Address Book Your Categories Are Listed Down The Left Side Panel...At All Times...Even If You Are In A Category....Just Click And Go

      Ok....That's It....I Promise....lololololololol............Bill

      Bill <netryder@...> wrote:
      Hi.....ok..let me take a wild guess here...but.. .I'm think'in you're a...Laptop.. .person.. .lololololol. ...it came to me somewhere in the middle of the word...."keystrokes ".....and that's fine....I'll always be a PC Guy....but I may get one myself now that they have some power and are truly Mobile...meaning that you can get online in various ways and places at an acceptable speed...I do have a word of warning about that...but that can wait a minute

      Ok...Green Tea...(do you mind if I call you Green Tea for short)...I think it was very nice of you to take the time to research all that out and create a place in Yahoo so you could pass it on to others....BUT. ...and you knew that but was coming....lololol. ...you don't need to do ANY of that with The Address Book...none of that....you just input your new contact...at which point you are given the option of adding that contact to 1 or more of your Existing Categories or you can even create a New Category right there on the spot....and if you want to do a multiple contact emailing...just check the boxes of those you want to email or if you want to email an entire Category.... you can do it with 2 Clicks...at the bottom of the Category you check the box...Check All.....and then Hit the button....Send Mail....which is right next to the buttons...Add To Category...and. ..Remove From Category.... oh and of course the...Delete Button....it really is simple.....OH and Search....sure you can do a Search of your Entire Address Book by putting in a Name....it will even search the Comments section for that name...or... .you could put in just a letter...and it will bring up every Contact you have in your Entire Address Book with that letter in it.....It Couldn't BE Any Simpler....and. ...this is a...BIIIIIG AND, Green Tea......It Is An Independent Program....It Stands Alone....You Do Not have to be in Yahoo Mail to have access to it....I have it right at the top of My Yahoo...which is my Start Page when I open my browser....of course you can choose any one of your Categories as the Default....which you can change at any time....or.. ..you can set...All... as the default

      Like I said before....It Couldn't Be Any Simpler...which is what computers are all about....they' re here to make our lives...Easier. ..not complicate things

      The Yahoo Address Book IS My Address Book....I haven't kept a hard copy Address Book in years....nor have I lost an address or e-dress or phone number in years.....like I said to Brian...I have 15 Categories.. ..3 of which are most personal to me....they are....The A List....The B List....and The Dead Zone....I'm sure you can figure out the progression. ...lolololololol ol.....but like I said....I have not lost a contacts info in many years....I just Move Them....and if I wanted to I can print the whole thing....or just chosen categories out...I can...hello hard copy....lololololol

      Oh and here's that word of warning....to all you Laptop people...you probably all know this....but you have to be careful about using these "Hot Spots"....like coffee houses and other public places that have wireless.... there is software out there that will let someone who is sitting in the same location...looking quite innocent...get into yours and everybody else's computer in that location without you ever knowing it....they have full access to your...hard drive....your emails...YOUR PASSWORDS... Everything you have on your Laptop can be viewed and or hijacked.... like I said....Just A Word Of Caution..... don't get paranoid.... But Be Aware

      Ok....I'm done....lololololol ......... ....Bill

      too_much green_tea <toomuchgreentea@ yahoo.com> wrote:
      It may be just me (and Brian lol), but I think the beta is heaven for keyboard lovers. With the classic interface, it is nearly impossible to do anything without constantly switching between the mouse and the keyboard. In beta, once you remembered the few key combinations for normal uses (e.g. m (Check Mail), n (Compose), c (Chat), r (reply), f (forward), k (Mark as Read), Ctrl+Enter (Send), Ctrl+] (Next tab), Ctrl+[ (Previous tab), Ctrl+\ (Close tab) ... etc.), having to touch the mouse becomes a rare event.

      I used to switch between the classic and the beta quite a bit, but lately I find myself using the beta more and more. And since the date construct helper is semi-completed, I no longer need to return to the classic to do date limited searches. That alone reduced at least one third of my classic uses.

      If you need to switch between the beta and the classic often, check out James' tip on how to save you from "switching" woes (http://blog. 360.yahoo. com/YMailFAQ? cq=1&p=45).

      BTW... have you checked out these tips for using beta's contacts? :)
      http://ph.groups. yahoo.com/ group/Y-Mail/ photos/view/ 5118?b=1&m=f&o=0

      Come and visit our Y-Mail FAQ
      http://blog. 360.yahoo. com/YMailFAQ? list=1

      Looking for earth-friendly autos?

    • Brian VanArsdale
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 29, 2007
        Doesn't firewall protection on your laptop prevent things like that from happening?

        "Never, never, never give up." -- Winston Churchill

        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 29, 2007
          yes  i have a laptop

          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 29, 2007
            I don't think so Brian....I got this from a show on The Discovery Channel....It's All Geek To Me....and I wasn't giving it my 100% attention....but I did kinda tune in when I heard him talking about this

            Ok....Brian....here's what I just did.....I went to the shows website on The Discovery website and I actually was able to find the segment I'm referring to and I watched it again.....wait....I have an idea.....brb

            ok.....here's the link

            http://dsc.discovery.com/beyond/player.html?playerId=203711706&bclid=823749165

            Brian when you get there look to the right and scroll down the clips until you see.....It's All Geek To Me:Wireless Internet Security.....see what you think

            Brian when you think about it...it really isn't much of a surprise....Hackers have hacked their way into places a whole lot more secure than the local Internet HotSpot

            Encryption seems to be the key....but the hackers will find away around that....And Then....security developers will come up with something else....we've all seen these things flip flop back and forth enough to know the routine...lolololololol

            Just Be Aware..............Bill

            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 29, 2007
              I agree. It's brilliant. I don't even use keyboard shortcuts all
              that often (I never used 'em in Outlook Express) and yet Y!MB has
              hooked me. They work because there are shortcuts for everything and
              they are so simple. You rarely need to look at a shortcut key sheet
              for such logical, often single-key shortcuts.

              <toomuchgreentea@...> wrote:

              > It may be just me (and Brian lol), but I think the beta is heaven
              for keyboard lovers. With the classic interface, it is nearly
              impossible to do anything without constantly switching between the
              mouse and the keyboard. In beta, once you remembered the few key
              combinations for normal uses (e.g. m (Check Mail), n (Compose), c
              (Chat), r (reply), f (forward), k (Mark as Read), Ctrl+Enter (Send),
              Ctrl+] (Next tab), Ctrl+[ (Previous tab), Ctrl+\ (Close tab) ...
              etc.), having to touch the mouse becomes a rare event.

              > I used to switch between the classic and the beta quite a bit, but
              lately I find myself using the beta more and more. And since the date
              construct helper is semi-completed, I no longer need to return to the
              classic to do date limited searches. That alone reduced at least one
              third of my classic uses.

              > If you need to switch between the beta and the classic often, check
              out James' tip on how to save you from "switching" woes
              (http://blog.360.yahoo.com/YMailFAQ?cq=1&p=45).

              > BTW... have you checked out these tips for using beta's contacts? :)
              >
              > Come and visit our Y-Mail FAQ
              > http://blog.360.yahoo.com/YMailFAQ?list=1

              > that gives answers, not web links.

            • Bill
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 29, 2007
                Ok....well that didn't work....I just got this message in my inbox and checked the link and it's taking me to a Y-mail blog....weird???.....but as I look at the link I see that a couple of spaces appeared out of nowhere.....it worked just fine before I sent it

                ok....how about this....Brian I'm not going to send it hypertext....just do a copy and paste

                http://dsc.discovery.com/beyond/player.html?playerId=203711706&bclid=823749165

                I just did copy and paste and it worked just fine....again....we'll see...lolololol

                Bill

                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 29, 2007
                  That's odd, when I click the link it takes me to the y-mail faq blog.

                  Brian

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 29, 2007
                      Yep, I did know that information sent via wireless was unencrpyted -- public and private.  So is most wired transmission including email unless the user is specifically using an encryption program.

                      And yep those eavesdropping programs are there -- as well as one's that thiefs can use on hard wired Ethernet systems to steal data.

                      One thing I wonder about -- what is encrypted when using wireless networks even on home system.  For instance, I use WPA2 security, which uses encryption. But what do they encrypt exactly?  Only log in authentication information to the router or all traffic sent between host and wireless router or access point?

                      As for Yahoo, they use SSL over HTTP (HTTPS), so a log in to Yahoo should be secure EVEN over a public wireless network, correct?

                      L8!

                      Nancy J
                      Ordinaryfoolisnj@...

                      "I am not my hair. I am not this skin. I am the soul that lives within."
                      India Arie

                      "Truth is anything I agree with"
                      www.cindyalexander.com

                      http://www.myspace.com/ordinaryfoolisnj

[...]

                    • too_much green_tea
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 29, 2007

                        One thing I wonder about -- what is encrypted when using wireless networks even on home system.  For instance, I use WPA2 security, which uses encryption. But what do they encrypt exactly?  Only log in authentication information to the router or all traffic sent between host and wireless router or access point?

                        I think the communication is encrypted as well.
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11i

                        As for Yahoo, they use SSL over HTTP (HTTPS), so a log in to Yahoo should be secure EVEN over a public wireless network, correct?

                        That's only the authentication part, plus it all depends on whether you are actually connecting to the real AP, or just someone sitting close to you pretending to be the AP. My feeling is that if someone wants to get your info, there's really nowhere to hide.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 29, 2007
                          Yeah, for some reason the link target is the Y!MB FAQ. Here it is
                          without those spaces

                          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Brian VanArsdale <bv802@...> wrote:

                          > That's odd, when I click the link it takes me to the y-mail faq blog.
                          >
                          > Brian
                          >
                          > "Never, never, never give up." -- Winston Churchill

                          Travel.

                          > <!--

                          sans-serif;}
                          clean, sans-serif;}
                          > #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                          > #ygrp-text{
                          > font-family:Georgia;
                          > }
                          > #ygrp-text p{
                          > margin:0 0 1em 0;}
                          > #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                          > font-family:Arial;
                          > clear:both;}
                          > #ygrp-vitnav{
                          > #ygrp-vitnav a{
                          > padding:0 1px;}
                          > #ygrp-actbar{
                          > clear:both;margin:25px
                          > #ygrp-actbar .left{
                          > float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
                          > .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                          > #ygrp-grft{
                          > #ygrp-ft{
                          > padding:5px 0;
                          > }
                          > #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                          > padding-bottom:10px;}
                          >
                          > #ygrp-vital{
                          > #ygrp-vital #vithd{

                          > #ygrp-vital ul{
                          > padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
                          > #ygrp-vital ul li{
                          > }
                          > #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{

                          > #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                          > font-weight:bold;}
                          > #ygrp-vital a {
                          > text-decoration:none;}
                          >
                          > #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                          > text-decoration:underline;}
                          >
                          > #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                          > color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                          > #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                          > #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                          > padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                          > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                          > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                          > text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                          > #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
                          > #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                          > padding:8px 0;}
                          > #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{

                          > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                          > text-decoration:none;}
                          > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                          > text-decoration:underline;}
                          > #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                          > margin:0;}
                          > o {font-size:0;}
                          > .MsoNormal {
                          > margin:0 0 0 0;}
                          > #ygrp-text tt{
                          > font-size:120%;}
                          > blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                          > .replbq {margin:4;}
                          > -->

                          > Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives
                          you all the tools to get online.

                        • Bill
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 30, 2007
                            Remember What I Said.....Don't Get Paranoid...Just Be Aware

                            I opened up a whole can of worms here.....sorry that was not my intention....I will simply say that...Hard Wired is a WHOLE LOT more secure than Most Wireless Connections In Public Places...I'm gonna leave it at that

                            Bill

                            Ordinaryfoolisnj@ yahoo.com