Re: [Y-Mail] Good news for Yahoo Photo members/Turner

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 28, 2007
      WHAT!!!!......No More Yahoo Photo's.....I didn't hear anything about this....not that I use it much....I only have a few photos in there just as a back-up in case anything happens to my hard drive

      Did I Not Just Say This Yesterday.....Unlimited Mail Storage....yeah right....That's The Hook To Get The Newbies From Going Google.....but at what cost to us

      Bill

        <turner_727@...> wrote:
      Not sure if it's been discussed lately or not, but I found out yesterday via my wife that Yahoo Photos will migrate your photos to one of five online photo sites.  It took her two clicks and all of our photos were moved to Snapfish.

      I remember there being some discussion that it would be a hassle to move all the pics ourselves.  Looks like Yahoo did it for us.

    • James
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 29, 2007
        Yahoo! has owned and maintained two photos sites. Y! Photos and
        Flickr. It doesn't make sense for them to compete with each other, so
        they picked one to keep. Flickr is a very feature filled, rapidly
        growing site, so they dropped Y! Photos. What about Y! Photos users?
        They let them move photos to the Y! owned Flickr site, OR to numerous
        competitors. Sounds pretty fair to me.

        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Bill <netryder@...> wrote:

        > WHAT!!!!......No More Yahoo Photo's.....I didn't hear anything about
        this....not that I use it much....I only have a few photos in there
        just as a back-up in case anything happens to my hard drive

        > Did I Not Just Say This Yesterday.....Unlimited Mail Storage....yeah
        right....That's The Hook To Get The Newbies From Going Google.....but
        at what cost to us

        > Bill
        >

        > <turner_727@...> wrote:
        > Not sure if it's been discussed lately or not, but I found out
        yesterday via my wife that Yahoo Photos will migrate your photos to
        one of five online photo sites. It took her two clicks and all of our
        photos were moved to Snapfish.

        > I remember there being some discussion that it would be a hassle to
        move all the pics ourselves. Looks like Yahoo did it for us.

        > ---------------------------------
        > Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're
        surfing.

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 29, 2007
          What would have been nice is if they made Flickr have the same functionality as Y! Photos...including space. I haven't looked at flickr in a few weeks but I seem to recall that all of your photos are there but only the last X number are available for viewing...unless you want to pay for more availability. That's why I went with shutterfly.com...no space limitations and my albums all transfered just the way they were on Y! Photos.

          Jeff
          You may be right...I may be crazy!!--Billy Joel

          Yahoo! has owned and maintained two photos sites.  Y! Photos and
          Flickr.  It doesn't make sense for them to compete with each other, so
          they picked one to keep.  Flickr is a very feature filled, rapidly
          growing site, so they dropped Y! Photos.  What about Y! Photos users?
          They let them move photos to the Y! owned Flickr site, OR to numerous
          competitors.  Sounds pretty fair to me.

          Bored stiff? Loosen up...
        • Bill
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 29, 2007
            oh....ok James....Thanks....like I said...I really don't use it much....I've never heard of Flickr...but after getting your message I did a search and sure enough...Yahoo bought it in 2005.....you seem to like it....so I'll give it a try

            Thanks Again
            Bill

            James <jakk9406@...> wrote:
            Yahoo! has owned and maintained two photos sites. Y! Photos and
            Flickr. It doesn't make sense for them to compete with each other, so
            they picked one to keep. Flickr is a very feature filled, rapidly
            growing site, so they dropped Y! Photos. What about Y! Photos users?
            They let them move photos to the Y! owned Flickr site, OR to numerous
            competitors. Sounds pretty fair to me.

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups. com, Bill <netryder@.. .> wrote:

            > WHAT!!!!.... ..No More Yahoo Photo's..... I didn't hear anything about
            this....not that I use it much....I only have a few photos in there
            just as a back-up in case anything happens to my hard drive

            > Did I Not Just Say This Yesterday... ..Unlimited Mail Storage....yeah
            right....That' s The Hook To Get The Newbies From Going Google.....but
            at what cost to us

            > Bill
            >

            > <turner_727@ ...> wrote:
            > Not sure if it's been discussed lately or not, but I found out
            yesterday via my wife that Yahoo Photos will migrate your photos to
            one of five online photo sites. It took her two clicks and all of our
            photos were moved to Snapfish.

            > I remember there being some discussion that it would be a hassle to
            move all the pics ourselves. Looks like Yahoo did it for us.

            > ------------ --------- --------- ---
            > Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're
            surfing.

          • James
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 29, 2007
              The biggest problem I see w/ Flickr is storage. You can only really
              hold 200 pics for free. I don't like limits that I can concieve
              hitting. However, I looked through my Y! photos pics, and many were
              just junk (images from sites, not photos). After re-evaluating my
              picture quantity, I realized I should be fine with that limit. Also,
              I like being able to download images at full size so you can really
              count on the site as a backup, which Flickr lets you do for free.
              It's feature filled, too.

              --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Bill <netryder@...> wrote:

              > oh....ok James....Thanks....like I said...I really don't use it
              much....I've never heard of Flickr...but after getting your message I
              did a search and sure enough...Yahoo bought it in 2005.....you seem to
              like it....so I'll give it a try

              > Thanks Again
              > Bill
              >

              > James <jakk9406@...> wrote: Yahoo!
              has owned and maintained two photos sites. Y! Photos and
              > Flickr. It doesn't make sense for them to compete with each other, so
              > they picked one to keep. Flickr is a very feature filled, rapidly
              > growing site, so they dropped Y! Photos. What about Y! Photos users?
              > They let them move photos to the Y! owned Flickr site, OR to numerous
              > competitors. Sounds pretty fair to me.
              >
              > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Bill <netryder@> wrote:
              > >
              > > WHAT!!!!......No More Yahoo Photo's.....I didn't hear anything about
              > this....not that I use it much....I only have a few photos in there
              > just as a back-up in case anything happens to my hard drive
              > >
              > > Did I Not Just Say This Yesterday.....Unlimited Mail Storage....yeah
              > right....That's The Hook To Get The Newbies From Going Google.....but
              > at what cost to us
              > >
              > > Bill
              > >

              > > <turner_727@> wrote:
              > > Not sure if it's been discussed lately or not, but I found out
              > yesterday via my wife that Yahoo Photos will migrate your photos to
              > one of five online photo sites. It took her two clicks and all of our
              > photos were moved to Snapfish.
              > >
              > > I remember there being some discussion that it would be a hassle to
              > move all the pics ourselves. Looks like Yahoo did it for us.

              > > Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're
              > surfing.

            • Bill
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 29, 2007
                Hi Jeff.....so you like Shutterfly....and it sounds like for good reason.....I'll check'em both out....Flickr and Shutterfly

                I use IrfanView for photo editing.....I should have mentioned that to James....I'm sure you guys know about that app....it's a nice little photo editing program....it's free....you can get it at download.com

                Ok Jeff.........Thanks.............Bill