Re: [Y-Mail] Emails disappear and Yahoo is clueless about it.

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
      Jay,

      My thoughts exactly! We shouldn't *have* to archive
      our emails just because Yahoo's online storage is
      glitchy. What really bothers me is that Yahoo basicly
      told me it was somehow something I did that caused ti
      (?!).

      --- "S. J. \"Jay\" Bienvenu" <bienvenunet@...>
      wrote:

      > That's an unacceptable answer. Not everybody
      > generates enough emails to justify archiving once a
      > week. I have archived a few times but it was only
      > for entire folders of emails that I probably
      > wouldn't miss. I would be majorly peeved if emails
      > disappeared from my folders, since they are exactly
      > where I want them.

      > Jay Bienvenu | jay@... | www.bienvenu.net
      > 360.yahoo.com/bienvenunet | raichu12.com/wg.asp

      -Paul.
    • Tom Connell
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
        I did'nt say it was a resolution to the problem and I was not putting it forward as such! I agree entirely EMails shouild not disapear, but these things happen, people hit the wrong key, hard drives crash, backups are skipped! You don't get Fory Knox security for the peanuts yahoo charges for its plus service. Keeping an archive is insurance! Anybody who relies on a third party to keep their data safe is just plain stupid! If its lost its lost ranting & raving wont bring it back! Make sure you don't lose it by creating your own back ups!

        Tom Connell

        href="http://www.bienvenu.net">www.bienvenu.net
        > 360.yahoo.com/bienvenunet | raichu12.com/wg.asp

        -Paul.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

            mailto:Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

      • S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
          From: Tom Connell <tomjconnell@...>
          I did'nt say it was a resolution to the problem and I was not putting it forward as such!

          Sorry if you took offense at how I responded, but I have a problem with someone even making that suggestion.

          From: Tom Connell <tomjconnell@...>
          I agree entirely EMails shouild not disapear, but these things happen, people hit the wrong key, hard drives crash, backups are skipped! You don't get Fory Knox security for the peanuts yahoo charges for its plus service. Keeping an archive is insurance! Anybody who relies on a third party to keep their data safe is just plain stupid! If its lost its lost ranting & raving wont bring it back! Make sure you don't lose it by creating your own back ups!

          For the record, I was burned rather badly by a certain discussion board hosting service some years ago. A disgruntled administrator deleted the posts from a few forums, so I figured I would just get them to restore it from the backups. Turns out the most recent backup they had was three months old. And they didn't restore just the damaged forums; they restored the ENTIRE BOARD. And all they had to say for it was "sorry." I never paid for their service again.

          I'm not asking for "Fort Knox security." I expect Yahoo to do the basic things needed to prevent data loss: keep a backup of a week or so, and be able to accouint for missing data. This is 2007, and Yahoo is a multi-billion dollar Internet media company. They should be able to provide a basic level of data recovery.

          If you brought your car in for a routine oil change, and they broke your windshield in the process, would you let them get away with telling you there was nothing they could do about it? Do you keep spare windshields in your car in case that happens? I think it's common sense to expect the company that is hosting your data online, be it Yahoo or some run-of-the-mill Web hoster, to ensure that your data won't magically disappear.

          -- Jay Bienvenu
        • James
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
            I agree. I use Yahoo! for my email and I trust them to keep my
            messages safe. It is their duty as an Email service to keep all
            messages accounted for, and to work to prevent data loss. I don't see
            a point in using web mail if you must backup your messages each week.
            Why not just use a client? Web mail is supposed to let you do manage
            messages from a browser anywhere, and let the site handle the data. A
            while ago Gmail had severe data loss issues. The cases were rare, but
            for those afflicted they lost nearly all of their messages. That was
            a horrible slip up on Google's part, and I'm sure they have done a lot
            since to prevent such occurances in the future. Yahoo! has done very
            well preventing data loss, but I wouldn't doubt occasional data loss.
            This is entirely the fault of the site. If users couldn't count on
            the media sites they used to keep their data safe, there would be no
            point in using the services.

            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "S. J. \"Jay\" Bienvenu"