Re: Vote to chat with AOL members

  • dcross1665
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 2, 2007
      I use a chat program called Trillian and can chat with MSN, AOL,
      Yahoo, ICQ, and IRC people from one common interface.

      You should try it.

      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "daynelloconor" <daynelloconor@...>
      wrote:

      > Yahoo! said I needed to prove that people really wanted this
      feature
      > so I am using the poll for that and then I am going to give it to
      > them and people have already voted "no"
      >

      > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "S. J. \"Jay\" Bienvenu"
      > <bienvenunet@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I don't see any point in voting on this. AOL and Yahoo will
      decide
      > for themselves whether to work on interoperability. We can take
      polls
      > all we want about this (really, who would vote "no"?) and it won't
      > make any difference until both AOL and Yahoo decide that
      > interoperability is better than propriety.

      > > Jay Bienvenu | jay@ | www.bienvenu.net
      > > 360.yahoo.com/bienvenunet | raichu12.com/wg.asp

    • S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2, 2007
        From: daynelloconor <daynelloconor@...>
        Yahoo! said I needed to prove that people really wanted this feature
        so I am using the poll for that and then I am going to give it to
        them and people have already voted "no"

        And Yahoo and AOL both have hundreds of millions of customers. They are both capable of polling a statistically-significant sample of their customers (tens if not hundreds of thousands) to determine whether the interest is really there in interoperating their services.

        I applaud your effort and desire to take action, but I have a hard time believing that Yahoo really expects one user out of hundreds of millions to prove anything to them. And I have a hard time believing that both Yahoo and AOL really need or want any more evidence besides what they have already collected to make a decision on interoperability. There have been movements calling for one IM standard for many years now. To their credit, Yahoo and MSN saw the value of interoperating, but AOL hasn't. I doubt that they will change their minds any time soon.

        -- Jay Bienvenu