Re: [Y-Mail] Re: What's with these ads for paying AT&T Yahoo customers?

  • S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 2, 2007
      Nice rant, but I cannot sympathize with you. I don't have AT&T Internet service. Thus I have to pay twice for my ad-free Yahoo Mail: once to my ISP to get on the Internet in the first place (and an Internet mailbox that I don't use), and then again to Yahoo Mail.

      Unless you can find something in your contract or terms of service that states that AT&T shall provide their customers with a Yahoo Mail account that does not have ads, you are in the same boat as the rest of us who don't have AT&T. Deal with it and pay for your Internet service and for your ad-free Yahoo Mail, just like the rest of us. Or ditch Yahoo Mail for someone else. But don't blame AT&T or Yahoo for treating you just like everyone else.

      Jay Bienvenu | jay@... | www.bienvenu.net
      360.yahoo.com/bienvenunet | raichu12.com/wg.asp

      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 3, 2007
        The whole internet is alive with ads that download themselves on to
        screens without bothering to discriminate between users who are
        wealthy or poor.The only realistic means of dispensing with unwanted
        advertising is to install an ad blocker that indiscriminately stops
        them all from loading up on your pages.No problem for Firefox users
        who can install an ABP extension.
        mystic_master3.
      • David Spanne

          > Whats happening here AT&T & Yahoo?? As a paying customer I certainly
          > do not like to see ads in my experience,

          By "paying customer" do you mean that you are a Mail Plus customer and
          you are getting ads? One of the reasons I became a plus customer was
          so that I didn't get ads. So far I haven't seen any.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

              mailto:Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

        • Tim Jubinville
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 3, 2007
            If you have Firefox there is an extension called Ad Blocker pro which blocks ads really well!

            Tim

            The whole internet is alive with ads that download themselves on to
            screens without bothering to discriminate between users who are
            wealthy or poor.The only realistic means of dispensing with unwanted
            advertising is to install an ad blocker that indiscriminately stops
            them all from loading up on your pages.No problem for Firefox users
            who can install an ABP extension.
            mystic_master3.

            All new Yahoo! Mail
          • Sasafrass
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 3, 2007
              Actually, it's called AdBlock Plus. You can get it here: http://adblockplus.org/en/

              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 3, 2007
                Oh yeah... sorry wrong name;)

                Tim

                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 4, 2007
                  --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Liz Yumrutepe <polishsiren@...> wrote:

                  > if you mean that you are paying AT&T? that service you are paying
                  for is DSL to access the internet... read your contract details and
                  it says nothing about your email account not seeing any
                  advertisements, and you probably got it because you opted for a
                  bundle package since you were making a decision with "your
                  wallet" ... if you want no ads than than you will have to upgrade
                  your yahoo account to a plus membership.

                  This is what really bugs me: says clearly in my account services
                  that Yahoo Mail Plus is included with my AT&T YAhoo DSL service -
                  that has always been the case.. BUT I get ads and people who don't
                  have DSL through AT&T and have bought the Yahoo Mail Plus package do
                  NOT get ads. I'm not even sure if there is an upgrade path for AT&T
                  Yahoo customers to get rid of the ads - I certainly can't find any
                  short of creating a new Yahoo-only account and upgrading that to
                  Yahoo Mail Plus. But then I would have the hassle of moving all my
                  emails, contacts, etc. I'm just really furious at this point.
                • Liz Yumrutepe
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 4, 2007
                    So now that you know that you get the yahoo plus with your at&t service, is it limited to a time frame? such as "you get yahoo plus for the first 6 months of paid service..." If there is no time frame than you have to take it up with at&t not yahoo, because your bills and service come from at&t, you pay them... if you get nowhere with the agent than ask to speak with a supervisor, but make sure you have any recent mailings in your hand that may have announced any changes because they will be the first ones to point it out to you.

                     Liz

                    "Success is a journey, not a destination''
                                           http://www.kaplan.edu
                          *-Knowledge is the key to life-*

                    > if you mean that you are paying AT&T? that service you are paying
                    for is DSL to access the internet... read your contract details and
                    it says nothing about your email account not seeing any
                    advertisements, and you probably got it because you opted for a
                    bundle package since you were making a decision with "your
                    wallet" ... if you want no ads than than you will have to upgrade
                    your yahoo account to a plus membership.

                    This is what really bugs me: says clearly in my account services
                    that Yahoo Mail Plus is included with my AT&T YAhoo DSL service -
                    that has always been the case.. BUT I get ads and people who don't
                    have DSL through AT&T and have bought the Yahoo Mail Plus package do
                    NOT get ads. I'm not even sure if there is an upgrade path for AT&T
                    Yahoo customers to get rid of the ads - I certainly can't find any
                    short of creating a new Yahoo-only account and upgrading that to
                    Yahoo Mail Plus. But then I would have the hassle of moving all my
                    emails, contacts, etc. I'm just really furious at this point.

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                        mailto:Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

                  • RS
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 4, 2007
                      I actually called AT&T about it, looking find out how bad it would be.  They sent me to a tech support person who gave me a vague description of "a banner ad down the right hand side".  Sounds like it is worse than that.  I agree it sounds like an AT&T choice, not a Yahoo one.  But it's not like either one is telling us anything about it voluntarily, aside from the warning we got via e-mail a couple months back, so I wouldn't know.  There's no time frame on the interface, nor does my interface say "plus" anywhere I can see, it just came with the service.  Mine still looks the same as it ever has, I can send a screen shot if anyone wants to see it.  I've never seen the Plus interface, so I wouldn't know if they are visually similar or if this is a "just for AT&T" interface they can monkey with as a seperate animal.

                      -RS

                      > if you mean that you are paying AT&T? that service you are paying
                      for is DSL to access the internet... read your contract details and
                      it says nothing about your email account not seeing any
                      advertisements, and you probably got it because you opted for a
                      bundle package since you were making a decision with "your
                      wallet" ... if you want no ads than than you will have to upgrade
                      your yahoo account to a plus membership.

                      This is what really bugs me: says clearly in my account services
                      that Yahoo Mail Plus is included with my AT&T YAhoo DSL service -
                      that has always been the case.. BUT I get ads and people who don't
                      have DSL through AT&T and have bought the Yahoo Mail Plus package do
                      NOT get ads. I'm not even sure if there is an upgrade path for AT&T
                      Yahoo customers to get rid of the ads - I certainly can't find any
                      short of creating a new Yahoo-only account and upgrading that to
                      Yahoo Mail Plus. But then I would have the hassle of moving all my
                      emails, contacts, etc. I'm just really furious at this point.

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                          mailto:Y-Mail-digest@yahoogroups.com

                    • James
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 4, 2007
                        It is NOT a temporary thing. It is NOT a limited time offer. AT&T
                        (formerly SBC) accounts have just always had the plus benefits. The
                        only difference has been the logo and the delayed feature updates.
                        Actually, AT&T users have gotten more than just mail plus. We were
                        granted the full on Yahoo! plus access (includes ad-free in all Y!
                        services and a video player with G4 and others). The general Y! plus
                        was discontinued a while ago, but those services were still given to
                        AT&T users. I just checked and it is not even possible for AT&T users
                        to purchase Yahoo! mail plus. The only upgrades are Business mail and
                        web hosting, the cheapest of the two being a high ten dollars per
                        month. This whole thing is a crock of $#!+. Under these
                        circumstances I condone the use of ad blockers.

                        http://billing.mail.yahoo.com/bm/Upgrades

                        --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Liz Yumrutepe <polishsiren@...> wrote:

                        > So now that you know that you get the yahoo plus with your at&t
                        service, is it limited to a time frame? such as "you get yahoo plus
                        for the first 6 months of paid service..." If there is no time frame
                        than you have to take it up with at&t not yahoo, because your bills
                        and service come from at&t, you pay them... if you get nowhere with
                        the agent than ask to speak with a supervisor, but make sure you have
                        any recent mailings in your hand that may have announced any changes
                        because they will be the first ones to point it out to you.

                        > Liz
                        >
                        > "Success is a journey, not a destination''
                        > http://www.kaplan.edu
                        > *-Knowledge is the key to life-*

                      • too_much green_tea
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 4, 2007

                          It is NOT a temporary thing.  It is NOT a limited time offer.  AT&T
                          (formerly SBC) accounts have just always had the plus benefits.  The
                          only difference has been the logo and the delayed feature updates.
                          Actually, AT&T users have gotten more than just mail plus.  We were
                          granted the full on Yahoo! plus access (includes ad-free in all Y!
                          services and a video player with G4 and others).  The general Y! plus
                          was discontinued a while ago, but those services were still given to
                          AT&T users.  I just checked and it is not even possible for AT&T users
                          to purchase Yahoo! mail plus.  The only upgrades are Business mail and
                          web hosting, the cheapest of the two being a high ten dollars per
                          month.  This whole thing is a crock of $#!+.  Under these
                          circumstances I condone the use of ad blockers.

                          http://billing.mail.yahoo.com/bm/Upgrades

                          I don't have any info, but from what I've read in the news, it seems the whole ordeal began with the contract negotiation between AT&T and Yahoo. I'd imagine AT&T *icon:money eyes $-) * must have refused to budge on the lower offer, and Yahoo *icon:feeling beat up b-( * ended up saying "fine ... we'll accept that amount, but with that all your customers will be served ads with mail *icon:devil >:) * ..."

                          http://360.yahoo.com/toomuchgreentea

                          Bored stiff? Loosen up...
                        • Liz Yumrutepe
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 4, 2007
                            Hey, don't get mad at me... I have hated At$t for years, I refuse to deal with them, if my cable company goes belly up I will go elsewhere or back to dial-up before I would deal with that corrupted company, I was just trying to help! They are generally known for announcements of the sort. SBC was swallowed up by at$t which was already in contract with yahoo... Verizon is in contract with msn .... the phone companies are not going to develop their own browser if they can just contract with an existing one ... give it time and yahoo will be probably dropped once the contract is ready to expire... that is the AT$T way since the final phase of the take over is done and their name is on everything

                             Liz

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 4, 2007
                              Sorry if I made it sound like I was mad at you. I just wanted to be
                              as clear as possible on the situation. I've gotten fed up with them
                              as well. That's why I now use a plain jane Y! account and ad blocking
                              (I'm not gonna lie). I'm not at all mad at you. I am, however, mad
                              at AT&T/Y! for the situation the put their loyal subscribers in. And
                              it was very underhanded the way they slipped the info in at the end of
                              the unlimited storage notice hoping people would just call it even.
                              What is this, AOL?