Re: Emails disappear and Yahoo is clueless about it.

  • jimdrews
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2007
      --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Paul <paulktf@...> wrote:

      > On top of that; I'm a Plus customer, so I'm paying for
      > this service where emails suddenly go poof and
      > disappear.

      Bummer, I'm also a Plus customer and one thing I do is use my POP3
      client to retrieve mail from my Yahoo account so I'll have a backup,
      just in case something happens like you described.
    • Paul
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1, 2007
        --- jimdrews <jimdrews@...> wrote:

        > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Paul <paulktf@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > On top of that; I'm a Plus customer, so I'm paying
        > for
        > > this service where emails suddenly go poof and
        > > disappear.
        >
        > Bummer, I'm also a Plus customer and one thing I do
        > is use my POP3
        > client to retrieve mail from my Yahoo account so
        > I'll have a backup,
        > just in case something happens like you described.

        That's a good idea. I suppose I should do that.

        -Paul.
      • Tom Connell
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 2, 2007
          If you are a plus customer you can archive your EMails to a zip file on your own computer as a safeguard against losing them! Unfortunately you can't restore an archive back to Yahoo mail, but you can view them with a client that recognises the .eml format eg Outlook Express or Thunderbird!

          I do this once a week!

          Tom Connell

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 2, 2007
            --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Tom Connell <tomjconnell@...> wrote:

            > If you are a plus customer you can archive your EMails to a zip file
            on your own computer as a safeguard against losing them!

            How is this done?
          • Tom Connell
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 2, 2007
              Its in the mail options, but is only displayed if you are a plus subscriber! Its also in the classic mail options and not in the beta although you can still get to it and use it!

              In classic go into mail options and it is in the main list of options second item on the right under management!

              There is no direct link to it from Beta so what I do is to go to mail options choose filters and then create or edit filters! This brings up (for me anyway in Firefox) a new tab with the classic filter editor, then choose 'back to mail options' from the filter editor and then you are in the classic mail options screen as described above! There may be a more direct way from the beta, but if so I havnt found it yet!

              Once you select archive you choose which folder you want to archive and you can select all folders! It then calculates the file size and brings up a file selector for you to choose where to save it on your hard drive and what name to use for it! If you use a public computer then you could save it to a usb flash drive!

              The archive format is a zip file of .eml files with the file name derived from the subject and organised under the same folder names as you use in yahoo mail! You will need to use outlook express, or outlook or Thunderbird or another email program that understands the .eml format in order to read them from the archive! Attachments are embedded also into the .eml files

              Actually takes longer to talk about it than it does to do it!

              Hope that helps!

              Tom

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 2, 2007
                --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, Tom Connell <tomjconnell@...> wrote:

                > Its in the mail options, but is only displayed if you are a plus
                subscriber! Its also in the classic mail options and not in the beta
                although you can still get to it and use it!

                Yeah, I found it in the classic view. I sent an email to support
                asking if/when it will be added to the beta version.

                Thanks for the info!
              • S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
                  That's an unacceptable answer. Not everybody generates enough emails to justify archiving once a week. I have archived a few times but it was only for entire folders of emails that I probably wouldn't miss. I would be majorly peeved if emails disappeared from my folders, since they are exactly where I want them.

                  Jay Bienvenu | jay@... | www.bienvenu.net
                  360.yahoo.com/bienvenunet | raichu12.com/wg.asp

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
                    Jay,

                    My thoughts exactly! We shouldn't *have* to archive
                    our emails just because Yahoo's online storage is
                    glitchy. What really bothers me is that Yahoo basicly
                    told me it was somehow something I did that caused ti
                    (?!).

                    --- "S. J. \"Jay\" Bienvenu" <bienvenunet@...>
                    wrote:

                    > That's an unacceptable answer. Not everybody
                    > generates enough emails to justify archiving once a
                    > week. I have archived a few times but it was only
                    > for entire folders of emails that I probably
                    > wouldn't miss. I would be majorly peeved if emails
                    > disappeared from my folders, since they are exactly
                    > where I want them.

                    > Jay Bienvenu | jay@... | www.bienvenu.net
                    > 360.yahoo.com/bienvenunet | raichu12.com/wg.asp

                    -Paul.
                  • Tom Connell
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
                      I did'nt say it was a resolution to the problem and I was not putting it forward as such! I agree entirely EMails shouild not disapear, but these things happen, people hit the wrong key, hard drives crash, backups are skipped! You don't get Fory Knox security for the peanuts yahoo charges for its plus service. Keeping an archive is insurance! Anybody who relies on a third party to keep their data safe is just plain stupid! If its lost its lost ranting & raving wont bring it back! Make sure you don't lose it by creating your own back ups!

                      Tom Connell

                      href="http://www.bienvenu.net">www.bienvenu.net

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
                        From: Tom Connell <tomjconnell@...>
                        I did'nt say it was a resolution to the problem and I was not putting it forward as such!

                        Sorry if you took offense at how I responded, but I have a problem with someone even making that suggestion.

                        From: Tom Connell <tomjconnell@...>
                        I agree entirely EMails shouild not disapear, but these things happen, people hit the wrong key, hard drives crash, backups are skipped! You don't get Fory Knox security for the peanuts yahoo charges for its plus service. Keeping an archive is insurance! Anybody who relies on a third party to keep their data safe is just plain stupid! If its lost its lost ranting & raving wont bring it back! Make sure you don't lose it by creating your own back ups!

                        For the record, I was burned rather badly by a certain discussion board hosting service some years ago. A disgruntled administrator deleted the posts from a few forums, so I figured I would just get them to restore it from the backups. Turns out the most recent backup they had was three months old. And they didn't restore just the damaged forums; they restored the ENTIRE BOARD. And all they had to say for it was "sorry." I never paid for their service again.

                        I'm not asking for "Fort Knox security." I expect Yahoo to do the basic things needed to prevent data loss: keep a backup of a week or so, and be able to accouint for missing data. This is 2007, and Yahoo is a multi-billion dollar Internet media company. They should be able to provide a basic level of data recovery.

                        If you brought your car in for a routine oil change, and they broke your windshield in the process, would you let them get away with telling you there was nothing they could do about it? Do you keep spare windshields in your car in case that happens? I think it's common sense to expect the company that is hosting your data online, be it Yahoo or some run-of-the-mill Web hoster, to ensure that your data won't magically disappear.

                        -- Jay Bienvenu
                      • James
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 4, 2007
                          I agree. I use Yahoo! for my email and I trust them to keep my
                          messages safe. It is their duty as an Email service to keep all
                          messages accounted for, and to work to prevent data loss. I don't see
                          a point in using web mail if you must backup your messages each week.
                          Why not just use a client? Web mail is supposed to let you do manage
                          messages from a browser anywhere, and let the site handle the data. A
                          while ago Gmail had severe data loss issues. The cases were rare, but
                          for those afflicted they lost nearly all of their messages. That was
                          a horrible slip up on Google's part, and I'm sure they have done a lot
                          since to prevent such occurances in the future. Yahoo! has done very
                          well preventing data loss, but I wouldn't doubt occasional data loss.
                          This is entirely the fault of the site. If users couldn't count on
                          the media sites they used to keep their data safe, there would be no
                          point in using the services.

                          --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "S. J. \"Jay\" Bienvenu"