Re: [Y-Mail] Re: Vote to chat with AOL members

  • Nancy J
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
      AIM is part of what soured me on chat altogether. If I can, I will change my vote in the poll from no to yes to help you chatters who want to avoid AIM.

      L8!
      Nancy J
      Ordinaryfoolisnj@...

      "I am not my hair. I am not this skin. I am the soul that lives within."
      India Arie

      "Truth is anything I agree with"
      www.cindyalexander.com

      http://www.myspace.com/ordinaryfoolisnj

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2, 2007
        I use a chat program called Trillian and can chat with MSN, AOL,
        Yahoo, ICQ, and IRC people from one common interface.

        You should try it.

        wrote:

        > Yahoo! said I needed to prove that people really wanted this
        feature
        > so I am using the poll for that and then I am going to give it to
        > them and people have already voted "no"
        >

        > --- In Y-Mail@yahoogroups.com, "S. J. \"Jay\" Bienvenu"
        > <bienvenunet@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I don't see any point in voting on this. AOL and Yahoo will
        decide
        > for themselves whether to work on interoperability. We can take
        polls
        > all we want about this (really, who would vote "no"?) and it won't
        > make any difference until both AOL and Yahoo decide that
        > interoperability is better than propriety.

        > > Jay Bienvenu | jay@ | www.bienvenu.net
        > > 360.yahoo.com/bienvenunet | raichu12.com/wg.asp

      • S. J. "Jay" Bienvenu
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2007
          From: daynelloconor <daynelloconor@...>
          Yahoo! said I needed to prove that people really wanted this feature
          so I am using the poll for that and then I am going to give it to
          them and people have already voted "no"

          And Yahoo and AOL both have hundreds of millions of customers. They are both capable of polling a statistically-significant sample of their customers (tens if not hundreds of thousands) to determine whether the interest is really there in interoperating their services.

          I applaud your effort and desire to take action, but I have a hard time believing that Yahoo really expects one user out of hundreds of millions to prove anything to them. And I have a hard time believing that both Yahoo and AOL really need or want any more evidence besides what they have already collected to make a decision on interoperability. There have been movements calling for one IM standard for many years now. To their credit, Yahoo and MSN saw the value of interoperating, but AOL hasn't. I doubt that they will change their minds any time soon.

          -- Jay Bienvenu